AIBU to be quietly pissed off with a woman taking up a buggy space with her "reborn" doll?

(162 Posts)
VinegarDrinker Sat 26-Jan-13 21:31:53

First up, I fully accept that this woman may well have psychological issues. And there is NO WAY I would say anything out loud.

And people are welcome to whatever hobbies they enjoy, and if that involves buying big expensive travel systems for your doll then be my guest.

But taking up a buggy space on a busy bus/train? AIBU to think this is taking your hobby a tiny bit too far?

bamboostalks Sat 26-Jan-13 21:32:41

Well like you said, she's obviously a bit mad.

KumquatMae Sat 26-Jan-13 21:33:54

No, yanbu. I would seethe about it silently then rant when I got home - buggy spaces are like GOLD DUST.

LittleMissFantabulous Sat 26-Jan-13 21:35:07

I'd have been tempted to point out the luggage rack.

PPT Sat 26-Jan-13 21:35:25

Yanbu- would also have been seething confused

CloudsAndTrees Sat 26-Jan-13 21:35:28

A tiny bit too far?? confused

That's just plain weird. And I wouldn't assume she had MH issues. Why should she? There are people with perfect mental health that like to jump off cliffs FFS. Some people are just odd.

AgentZigzag Sat 26-Jan-13 21:35:44

Ooh, nice twist on the pushchair space on the bus/train dilemma grin

Reminds me of the Dawn French character in Psychoville.

If it's impacting on other people then it is probably taking it a little too far when you don't know the reasoning behind it.

VinegarDrinker Sat 26-Jan-13 21:36:01

I don't think anyone else noticed it was a doll, btw, people were giving her lots of space and offering to help with lifting the buggy on and off the train.

toddlerama Sat 26-Jan-13 21:36:31

Lol, YANBU. Did this happen to you or did you see it on that documentary?

ISeeSmallPeople Sat 26-Jan-13 21:36:35

Could you have suggested a nice sling to her? smile

toddlerama Sat 26-Jan-13 21:36:50

Sorry, x-post
Are you sure it was a doll?

deleted203 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:36:58

YABU not to have said, 'Move your fucking doll out my space!' grin. Sorry, I think you were far too polite (assuming you needed the space). She was clearly weird but I wouldn't have suffered in silence.

HopAndSkip Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:13

I think to some people, those dolls are literally like substitute babies, like some people treat their dogs like actual babies. I get you being irritated about lack of space, but I would rather her be happy and have to squeeze past for a few seconds/stand a bit closer to someone for the journey, than her be stressed out and not enjoy her whole day out.

MuddlingMackem Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:15

No, YANBU.

Unlike the situation with a baby, she could have put the doll in the luggage rack whilst she folded the pushchair, so wouldn't even needed anyone to give her a hand. grin

I would only say that she wasn't BtotallyU if she was utilising the pushchair as a trolley for her shopping. wink

bootsycollins Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:25

My friend had an auntie who used to push a goldfish around in a coachbuilt pram (the goldfish was in a goldfish bowl). Another friend had a cousin who put a babygro on her cat then strangled it to death. You'd have to be irrational.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 26-Jan-13 21:37:34

YANBU

I like the suggestion of the luggage rack.

AgentZigzag Sat 26-Jan-13 21:38:25

Very true Clouds, but you have to remember that any unusual behaviour means the person is obviously a mentalist hmm

VinegarDrinker Sat 26-Jan-13 21:38:38

I did want to suggest a sling to her, for ease of use on public transport ... (i had DS on my back in one!)

Catchingmockingbirds Sat 26-Jan-13 21:38:59

I'd be just as pissed off if she was taking up the space with a buggy full of shopping tbh. Did you have to fold up your buggy then or were you even able to get on the bus?

HollyBerryBush Sat 26-Jan-13 21:39:12

I'm the only one wondering whats wrong with taking your goldfish for a walk aren't I ?

AgentZigzag Sat 26-Jan-13 21:39:35

Just read that back and I meant it as sarky, not aimed at you Clouds.

MuddlingMackem Sat 26-Jan-13 21:40:20

Catching I would still be miffed, but at least it would seem to be having a practical purpose, rather than just an indulgence, if you get my drift. smile

Gigondas Sat 26-Jan-13 21:41:15

Yes you are holly smile

catladycourtney1 Sat 26-Jan-13 21:42:18

If she wasn't stopping someone getting on with a buggy containing an actual child, then I would have left her to it. But if she was then that's a different thing and I would have had to say something.

HopAndSkip Sat 26-Jan-13 21:42:28

Good idea ISee about the sling haha!

That reminded me, I had my DD in a sling when she was first out of hospital (Was very premature so she was smaller than your average newborn at this point) and was getting really weird glances off a shop assistant until I went up to the till, then the shop assistant went "OH!! I thought she was a doll, she looked to small to be real!!"
Did give me a laugh - though I wonder how many other people thought she was a toy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now