Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think an elderly man should only eat tiny meals?

(109 Posts)
Cailinsalach Thu 24-Jan-13 21:10:14

My eats like a horse. Today he had 2 weetabix a boiled egg, tea and toast for breakfast. Tea and homemade soda bread for elevenses, 2 big bowls of homemade soup, fried chicken, mash and buttered swede and then a bowl of ovenbaked rice pudding for lunch. An apple and half a bag of liquorice allsorts for afternoon snack, a bacon butty, fruit cake and carrot cake and a pint of tea for his tea. He has just mullered the other half bag of liquorice all sorts and is talking about a mug of cocoa as it's near his bedtime.

AIBU to think at 90 the norm for his ilk is Complan and Werthers?

He pulls the half starved orphan routine (complete with quivering lip) if I suggest cutting back on the baking...He then tells me he is doing me a favour eating all the cakes, pies and buns as it would be a mortal sin to allow them to go stale.

Maybe he has worms?

clicketyclick66 Sat 26-Jan-13 11:52:12

Awwww, Cailínsalach - I'd love to have your Dad as a neighbour. Sounds like he is a social butterfly, very active and a much loved guy.

OP, why are you a dirty girl??????

grin

mrsjay Sat 26-Jan-13 11:52:24

there was a woman on BBC breakfast today she was 98 and still working in the same pub she had for 50 odd years she cut her days down from 6 till 3 and all the customers loved her she could still pull a pint and at the end they showed her dd her Gd her gggd and her GGGGD it was was lovely and i may have shed a tear, I wish i could do links i would have show you all ,

MammaTJ Sat 26-Jan-13 12:01:42

I work in a home for the elderly. Basically the days are spent giving them food and drink constantly and dealing with the, erm, effects of having given them food and drink.

GothAnneGeddes Sat 26-Jan-13 12:16:52

O.P your dad sounds sounds brilliant and hearing about him and the other robust OAP's has really put a smile on my face smile

specialsubject Sat 26-Jan-13 12:19:01

apart from too many sweets, doesn't sound too much food to me. I don't think he's the one with the problem, is he?

Bluebelleswood Sat 26-Jan-13 13:16:39

Cailinsalach, my Df can't wait to read the obituaries in the local paper. He considers it a great achievement if he has out lived long lost acquaintances and old school pals.

CaptChaos Sat 26-Jan-13 13:33:06

OP, your Da sounds like a fella after my own heart. He sounds like my darling Grampy was before he sadly died. All that lovely food has kept that twinkle in his eye!

Should I ever get to 90, I shall eat a similar diet in his honour.

idococktailshedoesbeer Sat 26-Jan-13 16:40:22

I love your dad!

crocodilesmiles Mon 28-Jan-13 16:19:51

yabu.

I watched a programme about community nurses, at the weekend. There was a lady on it who was 102! She said she believed that she'd reached such an old age because she had a good appetite...He must be doing something right to get to his age!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now