Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think an elderly man should only eat tiny meals?

(109 Posts)
Cailinsalach Thu 24-Jan-13 21:10:14

My eats like a horse. Today he had 2 weetabix a boiled egg, tea and toast for breakfast. Tea and homemade soda bread for elevenses, 2 big bowls of homemade soup, fried chicken, mash and buttered swede and then a bowl of ovenbaked rice pudding for lunch. An apple and half a bag of liquorice allsorts for afternoon snack, a bacon butty, fruit cake and carrot cake and a pint of tea for his tea. He has just mullered the other half bag of liquorice all sorts and is talking about a mug of cocoa as it's near his bedtime.

AIBU to think at 90 the norm for his ilk is Complan and Werthers?

He pulls the half starved orphan routine (complete with quivering lip) if I suggest cutting back on the baking...He then tells me he is doing me a favour eating all the cakes, pies and buns as it would be a mortal sin to allow them to go stale.

Maybe he has worms?

What a man! He sounds very robust. Feed him what he wants, I'll be round to eat any time you like, your meals sound wonderful.

pigletmania Thu 24-Jan-13 23:29:23

Well op hes got to 90 on his diet, leave him alone to enjoy he rest of his life. He does not need silly diets now

BistoBearWithBaublesOn Thu 24-Jan-13 23:31:49

MsVestibule Thu 24-Jan-13 21:13:08
That's appalling! He'll never reach old age eating like that.

^ This made me laugh! smile

That's great to hear
My nan is 87 and is wasting away to nothing, she literally exists on a few mouthfuls each day sad

Let him pile it in, god bless him x

SirBoobAlot Thu 24-Jan-13 23:44:59

Oh leave the sod alone.

Punkatheart Thu 24-Jan-13 23:46:37

I have always eaten a lot - I mean a lot. I don't put on weight and now I have lymphoma - I have to eat lots of empty calories. I am sitting in bed now eating Haribou rings off my fingers.

He sounds healthy and good appetite is a sign of health...

Bloody hell even if he's over weight I'd let him eat what he likes at 90!

MrsMushroom Thu 24-Jan-13 23:49:20

My Mum is a carer....visiting elderly people at home and she is always saying how much a lot of them eat! She reels off their menus to me. hmm

FanFuckingTastic Thu 24-Jan-13 23:49:42

Future health pah! At ninety I think you've earned your eating without watching the calories badge.

I don't know about your illness Punkatheart, but when I am ill I eat empty calories as much as possible as they make me puke the least. Sweets and chocolate, cereal bar only to take the heavy on your stomach meds.

So fat now, it sucks.

ComposHat Belgium Thu 24-Jan-13 23:52:54

Future health at 90? Fucking Hell at that age I wouldn't be buying under ripe bannanas at that age, let alone worrying about my future health.

Anyway if I made it to 90 I wouldn't be eating bananas. The only fruit I would consume would be the lemon in G&Ts I will be drinking all day long.

thezebrawearspurple Thu 24-Jan-13 23:53:24

He should be enjoying every scrap and denying himself nothing at his age. By the sounds of it, it's doing him good.

VicarInaTutu Thu 24-Jan-13 23:54:01

i like the cut of his jib OP!
long may he eat like a horse (just avoid burgers or he will not just be eating like a horse....you dont shop at Tesco do you?) smile

ComposHat Belgium Thu 24-Jan-13 23:56:08

Tesco Neigh, neigh and thrice neigh!

I shop at Lidl.

I wouldn't eat one of tesco's horse burgers, but I do enjoy my Lidl pony burgers.

My Dear Old Dad (76) is a very fit and healthy diabetic. But he gets up, has his bran flakes "with a few raisins" and tea and toast.
Then when I go for breakfast, he's whittering on about What do you want for lunch? rifling about in the freezer.
I'm "^whaat^" rubbing my eyes.

Yes I get the lip at the denial of carrot cake or fruit cake (he doesn't have a sweet tooth really, I think it's an act)

He has a few boiled sweets squirreled away for diabetic emergencies.
He walks more than your average postman and is built like a hatstand. grin

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 25-Jan-13 00:01:32

What are you worried about - that he's eating through your inheritance grin

He sounds fab - get baking!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 25-Jan-13 00:03:20

Compo grin

ToomuchWaternotWine Fri 25-Jan-13 01:02:11

If he's well, healthy and has energy to enjoy life at 90, then all power to his cake lifting elbow.

But why did you ask? are you concerned for his health/weight? or just thought older people always eat less? Are you worried about food costs? I know our budget would struggle to keep up with an extra person eating that much!

MidniteScribbler Fri 25-Jan-13 01:11:03

My grandmother used to eat dessert before her main meal. She said that if she died during the meal she didn't want to miss dessert!

WorraLiberty England Fri 25-Jan-13 01:13:24

He sounds bored to be honest.

My Dad is 81 and if he didn't keep as active as he does (he has an amazing social life) he would probably do nothing other than eat and watch TV.

Does he have/is he able to have a busy social life?

deleted203 Fri 25-Jan-13 01:14:33

Your da sounds fab! Long may he continue. My grandad was like this (although he gave up smoking at 90 because he thought it wasn't doing him much good anymore......he started at 11 apparently!)

80sMum Fri 25-Jan-13 01:19:38

My mum's 87 and has a verh good appetite, similar to your dad, OP. My mil, 88, has a tiny appetite and seems hardly to eat enough to keep a flea alive.
Nevertheless both of these elderly ladies are fit and well (or as well as can be expected when you're on the wrong side of 85). My point is, their eating habits work for them and don't appear to have done/be doing them any harm. Your dad's fine.

StuntGirl Fri 25-Jan-13 01:25:50

Goodness, why are you bothered? He sounds fine, as long as it's doing him no harm leave the poor sod be.

ripsishere Fri 25-Jan-13 01:50:51

Sounds great OP.
I was sad for the man who feels he needs to keep his weight down because he uses a wheelchair.

TanteRose Fri 25-Jan-13 01:53:39

My 93 year old FIL has just discovered McDonalds - he is always out and about, and is well chuffed that he can get a Big Mac and chips in town. He seems to be eating them every day recently grin

He also LOVES grape Fanta (my DS introduced him to this one...)

giraffesCantGoFirstFooting Fri 25-Jan-13 01:55:56

Yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now