to think my babysitter is a greedy pig?

(248 Posts)
HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 16:53:30

So I went out with DH on Saturday night and my friends 15 year old babysat for us.

Came back about 1am and thanked her and DH drove her home. Decided to make a cup of tea how rock n' roll and noticed that she had eaten half of a victoria sponge cake, a whole block of cheddar had gone and she had drunk half a litre of diet coke.

I did say help yourself to food. But surely this is taking the piss?

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:26:09

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee

I seriously doubt she ate a whole block of cheese.

I can't say for definite that she ate the whole block but it was brand new and not been opened and I saw the empty wrapper in the bin so ...

I did make dinner for her before and bought her a chocolate treat too and gave her a can of pop too. Because I didn't want her getting hungry.

When we left she was eating the dinner, so I said if you get hungry help yourself.

My fault. I'm just a little shocked that someone could eat a whole spaghetti plate (wasn't in the bin so assumed she liked it), a whole bag of malteasers, half a cake and a whole block of cheese.

EuroShagmore Mon 21-Jan-13 17:27:01

Crikey that is a lot of food!

TwllBach Mon 21-Jan-13 17:28:22

Do you think she grated the cheese on to the spaghetti?

I realise that's not helpful...

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:28:55

I doubt she ate a whole block of cheese, unless it was a small one.

I imagine someone else opened it before she came, DH or Dc?

No ... I finished off the packet when making the dinner and double checked there was another pack left in the fridge.

BornInACrossFireHurricane Mon 21-Jan-13 17:31:12

I think the whole block of cheese is weird (some on her pasta, yes, but a whole block?) but can understand the cake and diet coke grin

HoppityFrog Mon 21-Jan-13 17:32:22

When I used to babysit, most families I didn't know well would put a few snacks and a drink out on the side and say to help myself to that, maybe do that next time.

manicbmc Mon 21-Jan-13 17:33:00

Does she have an eating disorder? hmm

What a lot to eat. I used to baby sit about that age and was also told to help myself which I took to mean to a cup of coffee and a couple of digestives.

HoppityFrog Mon 21-Jan-13 17:33:18

Are you sure she didn't have some friends over too actually? a WHOLE block of cheese and half a cake seems an awful lot for one person to get through

Glossynotflossy Mon 21-Jan-13 17:34:44

Wow op thats a generous rate
i used to get a tenner for around the same rate. I was too frightened to eat amd drink lots even though it was a help yourself situation.

Ybu by the way . Its along time to go without food

QuickLookBusy Mon 21-Jan-13 17:35:20

Oh well, I really wouldn't worry about it.

It's not the ended of the world.

tackies Mon 21-Jan-13 17:36:04

Tis a bit much, especially the cheese, id never finish something off like thAt, bit rude imo

CheeseStrawWars Mon 21-Jan-13 17:36:14

Bulimics binge and purge - typically with high fat and high sugar foods. Have a quiet word with her mum if you're genuinely concerned about the girl...

aderynlas Mon 21-Jan-13 17:37:46

Do you have mice op grin sorry ive just worked out how to use the smiley faces and couldnt resist wink.

Mollydoggerson Mon 21-Jan-13 17:37:49

Regardless of amount of food, YABU, you told her to help herself, she did.

I also think (while it's alot), teenagers can eat loads, especially when bored and when given free reign of a foreign fridge.

AuntieMaggie Mon 21-Jan-13 17:38:04

I can't imagine her eating a block if cheese on its own... are you sure the wrapper in the bin isn't from the one you used or she didn't make a sandwich?

ihearsounds Mon 21-Jan-13 17:39:07

I have put a whole block of cheese on my dinner before. As well as salt, pepper and chilli. Not because I am greedy. But because the dinner wasn't that nice and I was starving. Wasn't able to get anything else to eat, so was that or starve.

Nobody eats a whole block of cheese, half a cake, and a couple of glasses of coke after eating a plate of spaghetti and a bag of malteasers in one night, because they are actually hungry.

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:43:02

Not because I am greedy. But because the dinner wasn't that nice and I was starving. Wasn't able to get anything else to eat, so was that or starve.

What are you trying to say ihearsounds ?! That my spaghetti dish wasn't very nice?!

How bloody dare you. I am an excellent cook grin

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:44:09

And no I emptied the bin before we went out Maggie

That's why it would have been easy to spot if she'd thrown her dinner away which she hadn't.

And it was easy to spot the wrapper.

Did she have a boyfriend round? Half a block of cheese sounds a lot!

Mind you, my best friend and I used to babysit my cousin, and my aunt used to leave us a 2 ltr bottle of Coke - we'd no problem downing that.

For the next time get posh/blue cheese that teenagers don't like...

I used to babysit for a couple where the wife was French and the food in the fridge looked too exotic for 18 yr old me to fancy (my palate has developed though, nowadays I'd hog the lot) so I used to have just a cuppa and a slice of toast when the kids were in bed.

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:45:39

Ybu by the way . Its along time to go without food

Really?

Because I gave her dinner at 8pm and she also ate the chocolate I gave her.

You surely can't get that hungry after eating dinner?

iwantanafternoonnap Mon 21-Jan-13 17:51:28

I was working a 12 hour shift the next day and my mum was having DS so they didn't get up at silly o'clock time for me to go to work.

Person is part of a single parent group and I thought I would help someone out that might not have gone out otherwise.

Never ever again...well not for her anyway. Total bloody rudeness.

ApocalypseThen Mon 21-Jan-13 17:51:35

I always used to be starving when babysitting. I wouldn't have been used to being up so late/having free reign of the kitchen/babysitting boredom.

iwantanafternoonnap Mon 21-Jan-13 17:52:20

I could eat a whole cake in one evening as I am a fat, greedy moobag! grin

Babysitters perks I reckon !

How much cheese, how big was the cake ?

Could be she put quite a lot of cheese on the pasta when you went out, I like cheesy pasta too !

You did say help yourself after all. I always say the same to our lovely babysitter.
I wonder if that's enough or if I should plate them up a nice supper like some of the Mums did when I used to babysit as a teenager (and like you did tbf). Another house was very weird with nothing edible to be found anywhere in the kitchen. Not even biscuits shock grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now