to think my babysitter is a greedy pig?

(248 Posts)
HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 16:53:30

So I went out with DH on Saturday night and my friends 15 year old babysat for us.

Came back about 1am and thanked her and DH drove her home. Decided to make a cup of tea how rock n' roll and noticed that she had eaten half of a victoria sponge cake, a whole block of cheddar had gone and she had drunk half a litre of diet coke.

I did say help yourself to food. But surely this is taking the piss?

LifeofPo Mon 21-Jan-13 16:55:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WakeyCakey Mon 21-Jan-13 16:56:28

At least if she was eating all this food she was too busy to root around in your stuff which is my huge fear of babysitters hehe smile

Also take it as a compliment that your cake was amazing smile

Always looking on the bright side

holidaysarenice Mon 21-Jan-13 16:57:12

What did you pay her for saturday night?

DawnOfTheDee Mon 21-Jan-13 16:57:22

Maybe she had her boyfriend round...?

lockets Mon 21-Jan-13 16:57:59

NotInGuatemalaNowDrRopata Mon 21-Jan-13 16:59:29

all the above, plus, you kept a 15 year old up until 1am?

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:00:50

Oh I'm joking about the greedy pig comment and I mean it light heartedly. I am be a greedy pig too - but with my own food.

She arrived at 8 and we came back at 1 so we gave her £40.

£7 an hour before midnight and then £10 afterwards and then we just rounded it up.

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:01:20

*I can be ..

LifeofPo Mon 21-Jan-13 17:02:07

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:02:17

I don't think 1am is too late as it wasn't a school night and both her and her mum were fine with it and my husband drove her home too.

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:01

Also take it as a compliment that your cake was amazing

Haha thanks, I do try. smile

LadyMargolotta Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:11

Have you checked the fridge for the cheese? If I whole block has gone, I wonder if it's hidden.

If it was one of those small victoria sponges, then it's fairly easy to eat half of it.

Cortana Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:16

YABU. Half a litre of diet coke, a whole 500mls, over the course of an evening?

Ok so half a cake is more than a portion, but I bet it was rather dull babysitting alone until 1am. I've overindulged when bored, easy done.

MrsWolowitz Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:18

The greedy pig comment is a bit harsh but eating that lot is pretty greedy so YANB totally U.

By a whole block of cheddar do you mean one of those really small ones and not the half kilo size?

Half a Victoria sponge isn't much - according to Call the Midwife last night it's mostly air.

Moominsarehippos Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:38

I could quite easily eat half a cake and a whole block of cheese and I am a greedy pig!

I would have made her a sandwich or something as maybe she didn't want to root around in the kitchen.

GobTheGoblin Mon 21-Jan-13 17:04:02

YABU teenagers eat a lot of food. That will have just been a light snack for her. grin

JustFabulous Mon 21-Jan-13 17:04:10

That does seem like a lot for one person to eat in an evening.

JustFabulous Mon 21-Jan-13 17:04:50

Maybe she had a midnight feast with the children?

valiumredhead Mon 21-Jan-13 17:05:03

Don't say help yourself and then complain about it.

LynetteScavo Mon 21-Jan-13 17:05:35

Maybe she was bored and cold. Did you leave the heating on?

I could easily eat half a vicoroia sponge and drink half a litre of coke, but are you sure she ate a block of cheddar?

valiumredhead Mon 21-Jan-13 17:06:00

Leave her a tray out next time with food she is 'allowed.' and makes it easier for you to see exactly what she has eaten wink

middleagedspread Mon 21-Jan-13 17:07:30

My 15 yr old would think nothing of eating that in a course of an evening. I'd say it was normal for teens, always hungry & probably a bit bored/ tired too.

HeartsAreEveryWhere Mon 21-Jan-13 17:08:59

I made her a spaghetti dish before she arrived, and there was also a bag of malteasers for her (she does like spaghetti and the malteasers were not a tiny bag btw)

And nope the cheese had definitely gone, I saw the wrapper in the bin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now