to wonder why the female co-presenter on Countdown has to dress like a stripper

(309 Posts)
hamtastrophe Mon 21-Jan-13 15:08:38

Just that.

Is this 2013? Just utterly depressing.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 15:39:05

Why should she HAVE to wear fugly clothes.

Would you rather her wear a habit or a birker.

Feminism is alive and well cause she wears what she wants too. You have the issue not her.

YorkshireDeb Mon 21-Jan-13 15:41:04

Missed countdown. Was she dressed as a policewoman or a frenchmaid? X

She is an Oxford Maths graduate, so i doubt that she had to "tits out for the interview".

She is only 26 and according to the interviews that she gives, the clothes are hers,she enjoys that there is a fan website, Rachel Watch, which scores her choice of dress.

She has very good legs and in the picturs of her in everyday life, she shows off their shape.

I wish that it wasn't seen as a self esteem issue if a woman enjoys how she looks, or forced by the patriarchy.

She is newly married, becoming popular and enjoying herself.

hamtastrophe Mon 21-Jan-13 15:48:44

Yes exactly drjohnsonscat

MrsBucket there are many wardrobe choices in between a skin tight leopard print' pulled tight over pneumatic boobs and 'fugly' or indeed a 'birker'.

I used to work with many very attractive young people in a professional environment, and the women managed to wear clothes that were attractive but professional. I suspect that you and I have rather different world views so we will have to agree to disagree.

ham - if you think Rachel Riley has "mahoosive tits" I dread to think what you'd call size D cups. Because, sorry, but, shapely though they may be, they are certainly not "mahoosive" by any stretch of the imagination.

Is she wearing Courtney Stodden "I'm so gorgeous and I was a 16 yo virgin bride" clear perspex stripper shoes?

No ?

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 15:50:27

Are you mary whitehouse (reincarnated) op?

hamtastrophe Mon 21-Jan-13 15:51:39

birdsgotta but don't you see that what you just typed is so utterly depressing? She is an Oxford Maths graduate, yet her success is measured by a website of fans rating her dress of the day. Good God.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 15:52:31

Why do you need to cover up to be taken seriously?

She has proved she has brains, and is very educated.

rottentomatoes Mon 21-Jan-13 15:53:02

YANBU OP

It's is rife on TV, so many pairings of younger dressed in skin tight clothes female, older more conservatively dressed male.

ham - they are not mahoosive nor pneumatic. Don't be so preposterous.

HecateWhoopass Mon 21-Jan-13 15:54:15

Women are primarily judged on looks. Men on ability.

The clothes are a symptom of this.

Another is the absence of older women on the telly. Countless older men. Far fewer older women. Team the old bloke up with the young woman. Put the young woman in sexy clothes. films. Count the number of older men in hollywood getting the blockbusters as opposed to the number of women of the same age.

The issue isn't women choosing to wear certain clothes, imo.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 15:54:15

Because, like most women I know have a healthy interest in fashion.

Is that not the case with you then?

I know a few students all love clothes too. Its about feeling good.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 15:55:24

Best actress 2012 was Meryl Streep wasnt it.

hamtastrophe Mon 21-Jan-13 15:55:30

Wow. So is this the educated view of mumsnet. 'If you object to your daughter being brought up in a world where women being sexually objectified by the media is the accepted norm you must be Mary Whitehouse or want all women to wear a burkha'.

Have I strayed onto the forums of 'Nuts magazine' by accident?

I was depressed about it before, but even more so now.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 15:57:29

I have nothing to do with "nuts"

niceupthedance Mon 21-Jan-13 15:58:38

I always thought she looks like she's going to a cheap wedding.

ham she knows she is intelligent, she has nothing to prove and says that she enjoys the different turn her life has taken.

That is one fan base, which describes itself as sexist, there is nothing covert about it.

She doesn't owe anyone anything, if she enjoys the clothes that she wears, then she shouldn't have to change.

Some women enjoy accentuating their body shape.

I believe women should be allowed to wear what they want.

rottentomatoes Mon 21-Jan-13 16:00:58

Mrs Bucket

But older women do not play the sexy love interest, whereas the older man does/can.

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 16:01:03

Do you have some body issues op?

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 16:01:48

Meryl did in its complicated,

CheeseStrawWars Mon 21-Jan-13 16:02:07

Why are you fixating on Rachel Riley and ignoring Susie Dent? Is it because Susie is older and therefore invisible?!

MrsBucketxx Mon 21-Jan-13 16:02:28

Mrs robinson in the graduate?

hamtastrophe Mon 21-Jan-13 16:02:33

I know lots of women with an interest in fashion, never seen them wearing a pink skin tight leopard skin dress at 3 o'clock in the afternoon though.

I would reverse your question mrsbucket and say, it's not 'Why do you need to cover up to be taken seriously?', but 'Why do you have to dress sexily to be given the job of co-presenter of Countdown'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now