To love a good supermarket scrap thread?

(372 Posts)
BupcakesAndCunting Mon 21-Jan-13 11:32:34

There have been some good ones this week, what with the snow turning everyone rabid and that.

Tell Aunty Bupcakes your best supermarket scrap threads. I loves 'em I do.

brew and biscuit

JuliaSqueezer Mon 21-Jan-13 12:59:08

I'm not aggressive by nature but if someone starts then I absolutely will stand up for myself apart from in the Asda because they are too hard for me I think a lot of the supermarket tossers are counting on the other person not wanting a confrontation.

I was in the fruit and veg aisle very patiently waiting for an elderly lady to choose her kiwi fruit, didn't want to rush or crowd her because I'm nice like that. Heard some huffing and chuntering behind us and then "Oh for God's sake!" and turned round to see a snotty bitch in her power suit looking very impatient and annoyed. I leaned into her face and menacingly quietly said "What's your fucking problem?". She skittered off up the aisle without another word or any kiwi fruits. Still makes me laugh remembering the look on her face grin

Bakingnovice Mon 21-Jan-13 12:59:42

The best fights are at 6pm when the reduced good trolley comes out! I've witnessed two women pulling one long French stick from either end, one lady taking joints out of another trolley, people pushing trolleys to derail each other and last week one lady was arguing with another over a pack of reduced bagels. It's carnage I tell you.

GetOrf Mon 21-Jan-13 13:00:34

lol at Waitrose on Saturdays. grin

My dd has just got a Saturday job in Asda and hasn't encountered anything terrible yet. Her friend works in Sainsburys though and has seen all sorts of scraps and full-on trolley rams.

MadameCastafiore Mon 21-Jan-13 13:00:39

Popped into Morrisons (awful near us and usually i get the posh supermarket to deliver as I don't like shopping) Had some bitch swear at me for not smiling at her kid, said kid nearly walked into me, I didn't look cross or anything just didn't really react, side stepped him and went on my way.

She followed me and screamed in my face that I was a stuck up bitch and I could at least have smiled and spoken to her child.

I told her that people like her who swear at strangers in front of her children were precisely the reason I did not usually shop in morrisons and would not be doing so again! Put my Basket down in floor at her feet gave her a haughty look and marched out.

Then shat myself realising she was twice as big same with a higher tattoo to teeth ratio and she could have seriously had me infront of the fresh bread!

ShatnersBassoon Mon 21-Jan-13 13:01:19

I worked in a supermarket when I was in 6th form, so I saw loads of kerfuffles.

A woman once threw a jar of piccalilli at her husband's head. They did a regular floor show on a Saturday afternoon, where she'd scream and throw her fists at him and he'd stand there looking sad, begging her to shut up because people were looking. The police were called when she lobbed the jar, but they still came in for their Saturday showdown fairly regularly sad.

marriedinwhite Mon 21-Jan-13 13:01:51

You do have to be careful though. This is South London and I can remember a shooting in Colliers Wood Sainsbury's - that was over a disagreement at the checkouts I think. wouldn't have dared tell off kids scootering in there

GetOrf Mon 21-Jan-13 13:04:07

I once was told off for playing skittles in a supermarket aisle (Gateways).

We arranged 9 cans of beans at one end, and went down the other end and rolled one of those big tins of chappie. It was great fun.

But then they told us off and we ran away. sad

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 21-Jan-13 13:04:07

I used to swan around Safeway regularly, starting fights left right and centre. AND I was paid for it.

Yup, I was the poor soul who did the reducing. I learnt that all people are evil, and would push their granny under a bus to save 10p on a pack of Cheslea Buns. sad

elizaregina Mon 21-Jan-13 13:05:33

Baking it depends who is crowding round the reduced trolly.

Uusllay its nice people who will say - oh, i already have one of those - would you like that?

sometimes though its the smash and grabbers - they work as a team and crowd you out with thier large trollys and grab everything then sort it out afterwards.

If nice people take the lead its all very civilised - if is the smash and grabber you just have to walk.

Nealry had a nasty confrontation in Aldi - I accidenlty got my pushchair with new born in a mans way for a millisecond - whilst I was asking staff where something was.

As I realised I was blocking I immedialty apologised and he GLARED at me, his wife glared at me and uttered profanity.

I then saw them a few more times and tried to avoid thier glare but they looked even more angry...I honeslty think I would have got a head butt had I not acted in such a meek way...

Naoko Mon 21-Jan-13 13:06:13

Does a public toilet count? And do I get extra points for it being a public toilet in the Vatican, of all random places? I wasn't involved, I was observing from a nearby bench while DP went into the gents...

It was the nearest public toilet to St Peter's church, on a busy day - the place was heaving and as is the way with public toilets the world over the queue for the ladies' was about a mile longer than the queue for the gents' next door. They had a security guard stood at the door who had taken it upon himself to tell people to go in when someone came out. There was a couple with a young baby who needed changing, and the mother needed the loo, so as the queue for the gents' was so much shorter the father took the baby into there to change while the mum queued for the ladies - only he popped out again a minute later to ask her for a pack of wipes. Mum, nearly at the front of the queue, steps aside maybe three feet to pass him the wipes, then steps back into the queue, which she's now at the front of.

Only, the security guard says 'no, you cannot cut in line! You must go to the back of the queue!' The mum protests she's been there all along, and all the other women in the queue back her up. An argument ensues, in which a very forthright but polite German lady remonstrates with the security guard, who by this point has dug his heels in because he cannot possibly be told he's wrong and god forbid back down, only he's losing because he's angered a long queue of women from all over the world who all really need to pee - so he loses it and hits the German lady! A collective gasp went up, German lady stands there stunned for a second, then turns to the queue and the crowd of onlookers that has gathered by this point and exclaims 'he hit me? Did you all see that, he hit me because I said he was wrong', then, because this is the Vatican, spots a priest in full priestly regalia, calls him over and gets him to chastise the security guard for hitting people who've done nothing wrong and being a jobsworth over who's allowed into the loo.

The whole situation was so ridiculous, the German woman didn't seem injured other than a bit shocked so by the time DP came out of the men's toilet I was nearly dying from laughter. Never seen anything like it.

RuleBritannia Mon 21-Jan-13 13:07:29

Another non-confronation one. My DH and I were in Texas (not USA - the DIY store) and the musak was ballroom type. So we looked at each other and began to quickstep down the aisle to the astonishment of other shoppers.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 21-Jan-13 13:07:46

Not me but my DH was verbally attacked in a South London Sainsbury's years ago. I'd just had Baby no.3 and he dragged himself off with nos 1&2 for supplies.
He absent-mindedly walked a few feet with someone else's trolley and she laid right into him when she realised.
Being sleep-deprived and post natal, all he managed to gibber was 'sorry, we've just had a baby.' He gets very tired when I've given birth grin.

MadameCastafiore Mon 21-Jan-13 13:07:47

Ooooh and when pregnant and needing ice to crunch (don't do it, my dentist is thousands of pounds richer due to my ice crunching craving) an old woman didn't join the back of the queue that was nicely splitting in order between the 2 tills.

Cue me, hormonal, hot and heavy telling her there was a queue and could she please join the back of it. She refused and I told her she was one of those ugly fat old women who was a lesson as to how not to let ourselves go in our formative years, and that she was also probably one of the ones that never realised it was more important to shut her legs when she sat down on the bus now than when she was younger!

I turned round to expect a round of applause to stunned silence. Dumped my ice on the floor and told them that us Brits should never give in to queue jumpers and stalked put.

Not my proudest moment I have to say!!!!!

BupcakesAndCunting Mon 21-Jan-13 13:08:27

"higher tattoo to teeth ratio!

<weeps> grin

HecateWhoopass Mon 21-Jan-13 13:08:44

Oh yes, and there was the morrisons incident!

Me, my husband and our kids (both autistic. This is relevant, you'll see why in a minute)

I was at the cash point, she was at the next one. I was facing the cashpoint, withdrawing money. My husband was supposed to be hanging on to the kids!

I turn round, can't remember why, maybe heard something, it's all lost in the subsequent rage grin (I only have a sketchy impression of the details because all I can really remember with any clarity is how furious I was ) and my youngest is next to her. I ask what's going on or something like that and she starts mouthing off about how I shouldn't have kids if I can't control them.

Apparently he'd brushed against her or something.

He does that. He flaps and twirls and all that.

Well, I was FUCKED off. I was at the cash machine. If she wanted to be pissed off with someone - why not direct it to the parent who was bloody supposed to be holding him? angry

So I chased after her blush she was pregnant blush blush and I chased after her. (not to hurt her but just because I was determined to have my stay). I ran after her yelling that they were autistic and maybe she should live that life before saying anything and, well, a lot more. To my great and eternal shame, I unforgivably wished autism on her unborn child. I behaved reprehensibly and I wish I could take it back.

My husband grabbed me and threatened to sit on me.

What made me so angry was
1) that he was right there. Why didn't he keep our youngest close? It was HIS fault. He shouldn't have put our son in the position where he was able to get too close to someone.
and 2 - mainly 2!) Why was it MY fault, when I was clearly at the cash machine and HE was clearly the one with them. Because I'm the woman? My back was turned. I was relying on HIM to keep hold of them. I felt so unfairly judged and treated by her. Call HIM an unfit bloody father for letting his son brush against you if you like.

I'm ranting again, aren't I? blush

GetOrf Mon 21-Jan-13 13:09:13

Naoko that is fantastic grin

ChristianGreyIsAJackass Mon 21-Jan-13 13:11:37

I cant believe these things go on!! and that ive missed loads of fun grin

Bakingnovice Mon 21-Jan-13 13:11:53

Eliza you are the smash grabbers are terrible. And terribly scary. I came across some a few weeks ago. They must have been family as they were all shouting across to each other. I was walking to get cereal and Oats and came across this convoy of trolleys who barricaded themselves in towards the reduced goods. I nicely said 'excuse me' as I needed to turn right into the cereal aisle. This huge scrunchy wearing, no teeth lady turned around and snarled at me. I had to wait for her to pile more than 10 loaves of bread and multipack donuts in her trolley before she shifted. And I'm sure she swore at me in a foreign European language after I very quietly and politely tutted. Just the once. But she heard! I nearly shat myself.

GetOrf Mon 21-Jan-13 13:12:12

<holds hecate's hand>

Hec, come and have a game of supermarket skittles with me, come on now, oooh look at the bird.

Squeakygate Mon 21-Jan-13 13:12:52

Ive had supermarket rage more than once.
Few years ago after few sleepless nights (teething baby and 2 other poorly kids) and nearing the end of the school holidays I popped into sainsburys for bread and school trousers. When I got in I used one of the smaller high trolleys; going up and down the aisle on a mission I ended up with about 12 things in there (bunch of flowers to cheer me up etc).
I queued up and it turns out I was in a basket only queue but did not realise - it was a genuine mistake. A random guy a few behind me said "excuse me, its baskets only here". I was next, so said "oh sorry, i didnt realise". He then started having a go, shouting at me saying I was blind and I needed to get my glasses checked, etc. I was going to argue back with him but just turned my back. I apologised to check out operator and person behind me.
As I left, I told him to "have a nice day SMALL DICK".
He was speechless and I was grin and blush in equal measure.

GetOrf Mon 21-Jan-13 13:13:11

I have never witnessed the reduced aisle barging, thank god.

But I did go into Morrisons the Sunday before Christmas. That was a mistake. I will NEVER darken their doors again. People were actually snarling.

HecateWhoopass Mon 21-Jan-13 13:15:42

say not stay

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 21-Jan-13 13:16:38

Sometimes, when I was reducing, I'd purposefully push my trolley near the cream cakes (prime fighting spot for bargain-hunting).. and then I'd just walk right on past! Again and again.

Another great sport was to go 'out back' through one door (bargain hunters cluster around door, waiting for me like lions waiting for the poor weak wildebeast to weaken). Then I'd pop out of another door, and race on past. Sometimes holding a big joint of meat, to tantalise the buggers. And you know what - I wasn't even going to reduce it.

HecateWhoopass Mon 21-Jan-13 13:16:53

grin GetOrf.

On doing the final bits xmas shop due to the seasonal twitching i went to a near by asda on the way home from work ( at the time worked for toys r us baby section) looking for at product on the shelve i heard a women ask where is something. One minute i got japped in the back spun round and was confornted by a women who then said dont fucking igorne me where is so in so. I shouted back i dont know she said u should u fucking work here i showed ( nearly shoved ) my name tag in her face really i
said then walked off. The fact that my shirt on the back had a massive stork and babies r us written on it didnt seem to compute with her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now