Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel worried about my child at school

(158 Posts)
boobymama Sun 20-Jan-13 21:16:18

am i being unreasonable to be so upset on collecting my 4 year old son from school last tuesday,to find that they had let him play out in his trainers morning and afternoon in the snow (-4) and sat all day in SOAKING trainers and socks. Why in the worst conditions we have had for ages, do they have to play outside? Why cant the teachers help the children to dress appropriately? My son developed a fever the next day and was off his food and sick! 5 more parnets have said exactly the same. The head says bring wellies!!!

Diddydollydo Sun 20-Jan-13 21:36:04

I don't get why you're so stroppy with everyone to be honest. Can your ⁴ year old put a pair of wellies on for outdoor play or not?

crashdoll Sun 20-Jan-13 21:36:09

He didn't get ill due to having wet feet! Goodness me.....

Mutt Sun 20-Jan-13 21:36:12

Send cheap wellies in

Which part of that do you not understand?

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 20-Jan-13 21:36:25

What's wrong with Cheap Welles?

WorraLiberty Sun 20-Jan-13 21:36:49

Just get him slip on wellies...not snow boots with fasteners that he can't fasten.

It's not rocket science and Asda sell wellies for a couple of quid.

HollyBerryBush Sun 20-Jan-13 21:38:22

Pair of wellies is 4 quid in Primark - marker pen his name on them

"I didnt send him in trainers, i changed him when got to school. We cant leave them as their clothes and shoes are going missing"

So you took him to school in appropriate footwear - and then you changed him out of them when he arrived at school and took the appropriate footwear home?

You didn't leave him appropriate footwear to put on for playtime and you think it's the SCHOOLS fault your child had wet feet?!

It is YOUR fault your son was sat in wet shoes and socks. As the parent you are responsible for providing your child with appropriate clothing and footwear for the school day including outdoor playtimes. You didn't do this.

Outdoor play is part of the curriculum and unless it is absolutely tipping it down with rain or there is a thunderstorm or gales children go outside. As they should. Cold is not a reason to keep children in.

Did you expect the school to keep your child in because you didn't leave him appropriate footwear? They would have had to assign a member of staff to watch him, on his own, because you failed to provide appropriate footwear.

YABU - massively so. And slightly hysterical - having wet feet does not cause illness.

littleducks Sun 20-Jan-13 21:42:40

Ds is in reception and has a pair of school wellies left on the rack all year. Dd is in yr 2 and they don't keep wellies at school. So I have to predict weather and send them which 9/10 is fine, if she doesn't have wellies and her shoes get wet she puts them on radiator to dry and wears plimsoles til they do.

Honestly cheap wellies named in big black marker will be fine.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 20-Jan-13 21:43:17

You let him wear trainers because he can't manage his snow boots? It's January, why have you not bought wellies before now?

FWIW my 16 month old DD can put her wellies on - not always on the right feet granted, but she can get them on. As can most children from toddler age.

I am sure your 4 year old will be able to manage it just fine - you just need to actually leave them AT the school. Problem solved.

larks35 Sun 20-Jan-13 21:46:26

Trainers, snow boots and wellies aside, your son did not get a fever and be sick due to wet feet. If he was already ailing it wouldn't have helped but it wouldn't have caused it. I'm guessing that if, as you say, 5 more children have the same symptoms then it is most probably a virus.

NumericalMum Sun 20-Jan-13 21:47:05

My 4yo can put her wellies, trainers, school shoes and snow boots on.i had no idea this was such an achievement. shock

missmapp Sun 20-Jan-13 21:47:13

Ds2 has just turned 5 and he can pull his snow boots on and change into school shoes. Teachers can't change 30 kids and if he didn't have boots they couldn't change him anyway.

I was reading recently that the increase in bugs is due to children and adults having too warm homes and too little time outside-i tend to agree.

12ylnon Sun 20-Jan-13 21:49:07

Wellies are £6 in mothercare. A pair for school would be a great idea.

hugoagogo Sun 20-Jan-13 21:51:36

In very wet or snowy weather dd wears boots and takes school shoes in a bag, then she has dry shoes for indoors and boots for playtime/walk home. (I put some socks in too)

Although I'm sure teachers do try to help, it's best to send them in things they can manage for themselves.

I wouldn't be happy if my dc was in wet socks all day, but it really won't do them any harm in the long run.

SirBoobAlot Sun 20-Jan-13 21:52:12

YABU. This whole situation is your responsibility. Worried about snow boots getting taken, buy a cheap pair of wellies and write his name on in permanent marker.

Teachers can't help children dress more appropriately if you don't provide the items.

And if five other kids were off as well, it is more likely to have been a virus.

It is winter. They will get a bit wet.

gordyslovesheep Sun 20-Jan-13 21:55:33

trainers are not good for little feet - buy some decent winter boots - problem solved

fevers are caused by infection or by a virus - not the cold

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 20-Jan-13 21:56:26

I can't see how any of this is the schools fault. You were advised to awnd wellys but you didnt. Although I am slightly hmm about the idea that you put trainers on him at school instead of school shoes.

My 4yo SN child can put wellys on, and despite being non-verbal she can also take off wet shoes and socks and give them to an adult. If the child doesn't say they have wet feet then how is the teacher supposed to know? Your child is nolonger at nursery, and it is not the teachers job to go around checking 20-30 children's socks.

At this age I have always supplied a change of clothes, including socks, in a bag that stays on the peg all year. and replaced when needed

HollaAtMeBaby Sun 20-Jan-13 21:59:41

Can't he just wear snow boots and keep them on all day? A bloke in my office did that on Friday (with his suit).

letseatgrandma Sun 20-Jan-13 21:59:46

This whole situation is entirely of your own making. I bet the school think you are being ridiculous.

Go and buy some wellies ASAP.

DonderandBlitzen Sun 20-Jan-13 22:02:07

YABU. Yes the Head is right, you need to make sure he has a pair of wellies to change into on days when it is snowing. It is your job to provide appropriate footwear for your son.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sun 20-Jan-13 22:02:37

You are all being unkind. I know for a fact you can get TB off wet feet. IN EIGHTEEN FIFTY FUCKING THREE

BollyGood Sun 20-Jan-13 22:03:12

I felt sorry for your little boy OP it's horrible to feel wet all day. And you know not all children are as able as others and are at very different developmental levels. My dd has always struggled with physical things no matter how much we have helped her to be independent over the years. She is 6.5 and only just managing some things which her peers have been doing for years. She is very academic and was reading at 3 and is a bright little button, just not up to the same level with motor skills and things.

Our school insist on parents bringing Wellies and a change of socks etc, I bring a bag for dd with everything in it. But, they are not allowed outside if we forget so wouldn't have been in the same position as your little one even if I had forgotten or taken the boots home. It's partly the schools fault and partly the fact he needed Wellies at school. They could have dried his socks for him or got his PE plimsolls for him to wear and put the trainers on a radiator. You are not entirely wrong to feel upset. It's just a lesson learnt. Dd's feet still got soaked last year in the snow, even with boots on,so this year I got the wellies with ties. She likes to go out sometimes but not all. I wouldn't either personally it's bloody cold at times!

And our school are not very forthcoming with help for the very young children either, they do it if they can,but as someone said up thread they don't have the time to help all of them. My issue with this is the massive gap between the ages of children starting reception, a whole year almost between some. Dd isn't 7 for ages and most of her friends were before Xmas. They have had more time in nursery or preschool many of them and longer to learn things.

Just bring everything next time OP, but as I said YANBEU! Whatever everyone else says. grin

needtogetoffsofa Sun 20-Jan-13 22:05:47

They are not going to stay inside if the snow lasts for the next three weeks. Get him some wellies (£4 asda) and teach him how to put them on

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 20-Jan-13 22:05:59

Or trench foot. You get that off wet feet.

Seriously OP, stop being a stroppy drama llama. Buy poor DS a pair of wellies and good socks. He walks to school in wellies and can change into his shoes, then put on the wellies at playtime.

BTW this is AIBU (and you ARE) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now