Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU To think that it's rude to assk for something back months after you gave it away ?

(81 Posts)
GrinchAnInch Sun 20-Jan-13 16:03:51

Someone gave something to me a few months ago, it is not something i use all the time but is quite usefull to have and it does get used. They have now asked for it back. I don't want to give it back and i'm not sure if IABU if I say no. I can't pretend I don't have it or that it's broken as they will probably see it in the future. I just find it very rude for them to expect it back and I'm a little cross that they have put me in this position.

So AIBU ?

Softlysoftly Mon 21-Jan-13 02:27:35

I don't think it's automatically rude to ask for something back. Had they called and said "I know we gave it to you but we are suddenly pregnant again and strapped for cash and I know you only use it infrequently, would you mind? " them I think that's fair enough.

In this case its the fact no only I were they going to skip it but you suspect it's being taken back and given to someone else that's very rude.

flow4 Mon 21-Jan-13 05:15:05

I reckon you're right, cumfy . It is sad... And stupid. How can any thing be worth more than a relationship with your mother, or daughter... Or anyone you care about, IMO.

2littlemonkeys Mon 21-Jan-13 09:18:23

Lend it them and say once you've finished can I have it back as after all you where going to throw it out. :-)

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 21-Jan-13 09:41:37

It's also annoying when you think you've given something away and recipient thought it was a loan.'
(looks mournfully at high chair that I thought NDN had taken off my hands)

OP, I can see why you are annoyed but they may be aware it's only used occasionally by you and they want to pass it onto someone with a more ongoing need eg a toddler.

jessjessjess Mon 21-Jan-13 09:50:36

I would say: "Oh, have you forgotten, you said we could keep it."

I did once fall out with someone over a situ like this - I offered to buy an unwanted piece of furniture before she moved abroad temporarily and she never gave me bank derails to pay despite my asking several times.

I would have been fine with her asking for the money or for the item back but she told mutual friends I had stshe wanted it back

jessjessjess Mon 21-Jan-13 09:52:05

Posted too quick. She told mutual friends I had stolen it and she wanted it back! I still had our messages about it where she said she didn't want it and would I like it, and was livid. It ended a friendship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now