Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be horrified at giving a 3 yr old crisps, chocolate biscuits, cheesy bites...

(314 Posts)
starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:48

....at 10 in the morning? After having sugary breakfast cereals?

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:20:46

So bloody what.

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:21:28

Have a bloody banana, Mrs smug pants.

starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 21:21:49

Just quite shocked really. Bad parenting IMO.

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:30

Oh well, we can't all be as good as you can we?

Tee2072 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:38

How old are your children, OP?

As I said, so long as he's eating and I know he eats well 99% of the time, the other 1% my son can have anything he wants. Even at 9am.

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:39

Well ds2 is 4.
Today he has had:
Porridge and fromage frais and apple juice for breakfast
Fruit as snack at pre shcool
Cheese sandwich for lunch plus 2 pieces of homemade cake.
Banana and apple.
2 more pieces of cake.
Refused hot dinner so had carrot batons and another cheese sandwich and some ice cream.
Also water throughout the day.
I am sure most people would think that 4 pieces of cake in a day is excessive, but he is healthy and happy and eats well.
I am not a big fan of sugary breakfast cereals but even fruit has naturally occurring sugar in it (fructose)
Posters above make a good point...if the child is up early then needing a snack at 10 is not unusual.
As long as the child is healthy and hasn't got rotten teeth then what's the problem?

FelicityWasSanta Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:51

So the child DIDN'T in fact eat all three!

Child in question had 1 chocolate biscuit mid morning.

Non story.

Yfronts Fri 18-Jan-13 21:23:33

I agree with you, it's an awful snack and seems daily.

My kids are at the same percentile weepingwillow but I just give them healthy stuff.

shesariver Fri 18-Jan-13 21:24:29

Bad parenting?!! oh get you parent of the year hmm

TomDudgeon Fri 18-Jan-13 21:24:42

Rice cakes!
They're fucking horrible

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 21:25:12

This is about a child having 1 chocolate biscuit as a snack?
Ffs....

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 21:25:23

Rice cake!

Now that is fecking unreasonable.

S'like eating deflavoured, dehydrated cardboard.

And has little nutritional value from what I can see.

Not to mention not filling at all.

BLERRRGGGGG!

Hate rice cakes.

louisianablue2000 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:25:25

It's probably better to give crap food in the morning when there is still time to use up the calories that day. No I wouldn't do it, yes i would hoik my judgy pants, no it's not my business, no I wouldn't bother posting on MN about it.

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 21:26:07

My ds1 loves rice cakes!
Ds2 however, is deeply suspicious of them smile

TepidCoffee Fri 18-Jan-13 21:26:12

Fruit and rice cakes grin

Most 3 year olds have cottoned onto that big ol' con, haven't they?

SamuelWestsMistress Fri 18-Jan-13 21:27:46

Shocking.

QUICKLY, PLEASE CALL ESTHER RANTZEN!

TepidCoffee Fri 18-Jan-13 21:28:12

Opened some apple flavoured rice cakes for DS in the car the other week. All of a sudden the air was filled with this awful burning smell. We thought the car was about to conk out before we realised it was the snack.

In terms of impact on blood sugar, rice cakes are just as bad as a biscuit btw.

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:28:15

CALL THE POLICE.

Badvoc Fri 18-Jan-13 21:28:21

Tepid...I did try ds2 with rice cakes...
He just looked at me over his colouring book and said in his most withering tone;
"I don't think so mummy"

Tee2072 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:28:30

Mine cottoned onto that con when he was about 18 months, Tepid!

usualsuspect Fri 18-Jan-13 21:28:44

CALL SS.

IWantATowel Fri 18-Jan-13 21:29:19

Get off your high horse before you fall off

Hulababy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:29:33

Do you give raisins and other dried fruit?

herladyship Fri 18-Jan-13 21:31:10

OP, have a biscuit and wipe the horrified look of your face grin

Horrified as seems terrible diet to have introduced to a child so young when surely they should be eating fruit/rice cake etc as a mid morning snack instead

hmm Have you tried a rice cake?!

Fuck it. I also give the toddler sausage rolls and tinned ravioli. I accept that I am off to hell grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now