To be horrified at giving a 3 yr old crisps, chocolate biscuits, cheesy bites...

(314 Posts)
starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:48

....at 10 in the morning? After having sugary breakfast cereals?

Locketjuice Fri 18-Jan-13 20:22:18

Wouldn't be so extreme ... Not my first choice though

TidyDancer Fri 18-Jan-13 20:23:15

Context needed really.

Is this a one-off? An every day thing?

It doesn't sound great, but we need to know more to answer you properly.

Pancakeflipper Fri 18-Jan-13 20:25:01

Not good everyday but a one-off no harm.

MrsLouisTheroux Fri 18-Jan-13 20:26:00

Agree, context needed.

Backtobedlam Fri 18-Jan-13 20:26:31

Was it today? Because of the snow? And because all the shops had been totally ransacked? If that's the case it's better than starving.

HollyBerryBush Fri 18-Jan-13 20:27:18

What do you think will happen to them?

ToeCap Fri 18-Jan-13 20:29:49

Did said child expire? Oh thought not.

nokidshere Fri 18-Jan-13 20:30:18

I used to think I was a terrible mother for giving my boys chocolate for breakfast sometimes (when I was too knackered to care) but then realised that if they are going to have crap food sometime that day the time is totally immaterial grin

as long as thats not all they are having all day I cant see the problem!

foslady Fri 18-Jan-13 20:42:52

Sounds like the average toddler birthday play session to me.......

starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 20:50:15

I've seen my friend do this before - crisps & chocolate in the mornings. I thought it was a one off then but today bag was packed for a journey. I made light of said sugary cereal saying what a nice treat it was, but was then told 3yr old has it every morning. Was a bit blush for being judgy at first but now wondering if I really <am> being too judgy....

Summerblaze Fri 18-Jan-13 20:52:26

I didn't see that precaution on the pack. When is crisps and chocolate ok????

Meglet Fri 18-Jan-13 20:54:26

Every day = bad.

Once a week, or a day out / party / snow day = not so bad.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Fri 18-Jan-13 20:55:29

Well my dd has failure to thrive and is on the 0.4th centile. Her breakfast is a chocolate biscuit.

Context is everything

Tee2072 Fri 18-Jan-13 20:56:37

What's the difference between that and a glass of OJ and a flapjack?

Or a toaster pancake?

shrug I'm usually just happy my son eats something before school, knowing he'll have toast/fruit/milk at snack time.

ReallyTired Fri 18-Jan-13 20:59:55

lol..

I bribed my three year old daughter to take her anti biotic with chocolate biscuits.

I see nothing wrong with a three year old having the ocassional chocolate biscuit, crisps or cheesy bites provided its in moderation and doesn't stop the child having proper food.

What the OP describes is empty calories, but maybe the child is a really fussy eater. Its not fair to judge.

HollyBerryBush Fri 18-Jan-13 21:01:00

What happens if the child has it after 10am? As opposed to before or at 10am? is there a moral difference?

Peanutbutterfingers Fri 18-Jan-13 21:02:54

Not ideal - but if I'm travelling with my toddler I take fruit, sandwich and selection of treats, especially if we're going on public transport and quiet trumps healthy snack

LittleChimneyDroppings Fri 18-Jan-13 21:03:43

I let my 3 yr old have those things, and sometimes before ten in the morning shock

yggdrasil Fri 18-Jan-13 21:04:03

Ahhhhhh....how can I put this? OP, and I mean this very, very nicely, I am going to hazard a random guess that you have one child and s/he is not more than 3 years old.

Nowadays, nothing the parent of a young kid does ever really shocks me. Unless it is actually, you know, shocking. Get through those hellish-at-times toddler years and then you get to be me, MNetting and eating chocolate biscuits while my kids put themselves to bed . I'm not going to judge anyone.

My nephews get up at 4.30. Every frigging morning. Their parents are lovely sorted individuals who have been dealt a crap hand (hell, dsil is an ex-nanny who never once gave me parenting advice). By 10 o clock, which is closer to their midday really, round at their place several people are often on the cheesy wotsits. Get on with it, don't kill them and survive is my top tip for the toddler years grin

MrsLouisTheroux Fri 18-Jan-13 21:06:24

HollyBerryBush Breakfast at McDonalds finishes at 10.30 so it would be elevenses. Still unbelievably shocking to feed them so much rubbish before lunch I'm sure grin !

Joiningthegang Fri 18-Jan-13 21:09:54

No context here at all, why is it your business?

Horrified - that word needs reserving for appropriate occasions (this is not one of them)

Yabu

My son can be eating crisps or biscuits by 10am.

He has breakfast at half 6

lockets Fri 18-Jan-13 21:16:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 21:19:37

My business as I was asked to give them to the child. And when child refused crisps was told to give cheesy bites and when this was refused was told to give chocolate biscuit. Horrified as seems terrible diet to have introduced to a child so young when surely they should be eating fruit/rice cake etc as a mid morning snack instead and certainly not keep handing out alternative nasties as child keeps refusing to eat what's given to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now