To take 2 infectious-poxy children out in public...

(347 Posts)
morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 12:44:35

My DTs have the pox. (spots still appearing so definitely still infectious) Last week my DD1 had it and we spent the whole week indoors as a result. (DS went to and from school by himself) This week I am having to do the school run as DD1 is too young to go with just DS for supervision due to the 2 busy roads to cross. I am taking DTs up to the school in their buggy with the rain cover over them - standing away from other people and leaving as soon as kids are in/out. (we live a 2 min walk from the school)

SO - WIBU to carry on after the school run and take the DTs out for a walk and maybe even go into the small local supermarket to pick up some essentials? WIABU to perhaps take the rain cover off if there were no other people around on the street at that time?

I am so fed up of being stuck in the house and DTs are too - 2 weeks is just too long - and I really think we would all benefit from some fresh air. I can't let them go out into the garden just now as it is under a foot of snow and I don't think getting cold and wet playing in the snow would really help them.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, but a few of the mums at school have made pointed remarks about how I had better hope there are no pregnant mums/people with low immune systems in the playground so just wondering if taking them for a walk will be bad too? AIBU to think that in a buggy with a rain cover over them and not actually coming into direct contact with anyone they aren't going to infect anyone?

(perfectly happy to accept if IABU - genuinely curious)

Indith Wed 16-Jan-13 13:38:47

Sometimes you HAVE to go out. In your case the school run has to be done and you are doing the right thing by keeping them covered, with the rain cover on there is very little chance of anyone getting infected. I think you would be fine getting some groceries too if you need them so long as you keep the cover on. I don't think it owuld be right to extend your time out though and go for a walk or take the cover off, sorry. I know it is miserable.

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:39:12

BTW the official NHS advice on their website is to stay off work and at home until you are no longer infectious.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:39:58

ruledbyheart you could, of course, stay at home yourself. I know that sounds nasty, but it is what you are asking others to do. Or you could have been vaccinated prior to getting pregnant, rather than taking the risk of catching it while pregnant. I am playing devil's advocate here, but actually I think it could be argued that YABVU to insist that huge numbers of other people should change their behaviours so that you can avoid a risk you could have avoided yourself.

Noble - you could be in a queue with an infectious person any time you go in the supermarket. Chicken pox is endemic in Britain at this time of year.

Op - I have no problem with your plans.

As a general point for all btw I think it's really unfair to berate a poster because they haven't seen another (upsetting) thread. I happen to know the thread that's being referred to here but the OP was not required to search exhaustively before posting. Nor should she be made to feel dreadful because of a completely different situation.

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:41:21

sleepy but they are the ones with an infectious condition and NHS advice is for THEM to stay at home thus avoiding infecting people.

zumbaholic Wed 16-Jan-13 13:41:46

YANBU for the fact that it is contagious before the spots even appear. Its not like you took them to a childs party or a toddler group is it, also very unlikely someone will catch it whilst theyre in the buggy with the raincover on. Although chick pox can cause serious complications for some, I dont really understand the hysteria about it tbh.

morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 13:42:09

Online order done so people can stop panicking that I might infect someone in the shop - most expensive bread, fruit & milk I have ever bought - £25 minimum spend - who knew?! Never mind, lots of things to fill the cupboards that I don't really need - hey ho! wink

Ruled - I would STRONGLY suggets you get vaccinated after you have given birth. Otherwise you will end up ctaching it from your dc at some point. It's horrible for adults and your own child could give it to you when pregnant the next time.

Sugarice Wed 16-Jan-13 13:44:46

morecake you can now take your dt's out for a lovely walk [rain cover included] and relax safe in the knowledge that your ears aren't burning from an MN flaming grin

meditrina Wed 16-Jan-13 13:46:31

morecake perhaps you could have made up the minimum spend with (medicinal) brandy!

And the NHS line is indeed that those who know they are infectious are the ones who go into (temporary) isolation.

noblegiraffe Wed 16-Jan-13 13:48:51

Yes Northern I know that people are infectious before the spots come out, but that's something that can't be helped. Someone deliberately going out when they know they're infectious despite the risk to other people, and despite the official medical advice because they want to go shopping is just being selfish.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:49:35

MrsM, but for everyone who has the spots there are probably about 1.5 in the silent stage, taking no precautions at all. Clearly, the NHS does not intend you stay home entirely, because it gives advice about who not to visit, rather than saying quarantine yourself. As others have said, CP is endemic at this time of year, and anyone going out and about is quite likely to be exposed to it.

ruledbyheart Wed 16-Jan-13 13:49:48

Sleepysand yes thats reasonable because all pregnant people should stay home incase people are silly enough to take out infectious children, shall we suggest all elderly and people with lower immune systems/ cancer patients do the same so some selfish people can go shopping hmm

morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 13:50:06

No alcohol at all! It's being delivered between 8am-9pm tomorrow morning in the hope I get it before the older two go to school so they can have milk on their cereal or toast if they want and you can't get alcohol delivered before 10am due to licensing laws apparently. I am learning lots today!

morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 13:51:03

oops - 8am-9AM obviously!

DIYapprentice Wed 16-Jan-13 13:51:45

Completely agree with sleepysand - I was immunised against chicken pox when pregnancy planning. I wasn't even AWARE that I hadn't had chicken pox, but had a blood test to make sure that I was covered for any diseases that I could be immunised against. (Was actually more concerned about German Measles but I had already had it).

frasersmummy Wed 16-Jan-13 13:52:19

oh my goodness... why should you have to get your shopping online because your child has cp.. what did mothers do before online shopping.

A week is a long time if you dont have the essentials in the house...

When ds had them I took him into the chemist to get calamine lotion.. the chemist didnt bat an eye lid or tell me we shouldnt be out ..

ruledbyheart Wed 16-Jan-13 13:54:54

Sorry Sleepysand where do you get off ontelling me I should have been vaccinated before planning a pregnancy, if people weren't selfish enough to take sick kids out and about then why would I need injecting with a virus?

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:57:18

all pregnant people should stay home incase people are silly enough to take out infectious children bearing in mind that at least as many people again are anyway, and have no idea, shall we suggest all elderly and people with lower immune systems/ cancer patients do the same so some selfish other people can go shopping buy daily essentials and have some exercise...

Put that way, I say yes. If I thought it was a risk to my unborn child, definitely, I would avoid contact with others at this time of year.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:58:07

ruled, because it is endemic at this time of year and there are lots of people with no spots wandering about infecting others. That's why.

ruledbyheart Wed 16-Jan-13 13:59:03

DIYapprentice Im sure of course your also one of these people that thinks everyis planned and therefore everyone has a chance to cover these things prior to it.

Some people are a joke saying op is not unreasonable for wanting to take her sick child out as she doesn't want to be cooped up anymore, well thats tough love kids get sick you should stay home and look after them not be planning on dragging them out and about because your bored.

Ruled - the streets, shops, trains etc are full of children infectious from CP who are not yet showing symptoms. That's what i mean by it's endemic. Quarantine will not work and that's why when you can get immunised you should. Nothing to do with other parents being at fault hmm

Are you sure you are not immune though? You may haver had a case so light you didn't notice or don't remember.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Wed 16-Jan-13 14:00:36

Supermarket, yanbu, as long as it just for essentials.
The school run ydnbu as your children must attend school.
Try to minimise how long you are outside for and keep your distance from others in case there are pregnant or immunosuppressed persons in the vicinity.

libelulle Wed 16-Jan-13 14:03:40

ruledbyheart well actually, yes. If you are immunocompromised you have to stay away from crowded places! My mum is being treated for leukaemia right now and of course she doesn't go to the supermarket. The common cold could kill her and I'm imagining that you don't confine yourself to the house every time you have a cold?

ruledbyheart Wed 16-Jan-13 14:05:40

Obviously some people are sick and don't know they are infectious and thats not anyone's fault is it and thats a day to day risk everyone takes, BUT the OP has asked if she should take her two DC out KNOWING they are infectious which is just fucking selfish.
There is a big difference between someone who knows someone is sick to someone who doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now