Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To take 2 infectious-poxy children out in public...

(347 Posts)
morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 12:44:35

My DTs have the pox. (spots still appearing so definitely still infectious) Last week my DD1 had it and we spent the whole week indoors as a result. (DS went to and from school by himself) This week I am having to do the school run as DD1 is too young to go with just DS for supervision due to the 2 busy roads to cross. I am taking DTs up to the school in their buggy with the rain cover over them - standing away from other people and leaving as soon as kids are in/out. (we live a 2 min walk from the school)

SO - WIBU to carry on after the school run and take the DTs out for a walk and maybe even go into the small local supermarket to pick up some essentials? WIABU to perhaps take the rain cover off if there were no other people around on the street at that time?

I am so fed up of being stuck in the house and DTs are too - 2 weeks is just too long - and I really think we would all benefit from some fresh air. I can't let them go out into the garden just now as it is under a foot of snow and I don't think getting cold and wet playing in the snow would really help them.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, but a few of the mums at school have made pointed remarks about how I had better hope there are no pregnant mums/people with low immune systems in the playground so just wondering if taking them for a walk will be bad too? AIBU to think that in a buggy with a rain cover over them and not actually coming into direct contact with anyone they aren't going to infect anyone?

(perfectly happy to accept if IABU - genuinely curious)

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Wed 16-Jan-13 13:07:07

School run, under the rain cover, minimising time standing around - acceptable.

Walk along a country lane/fairly deserted area under the rain cover - acceptable.

Shops/playgrounds/anywhere else - not acceptable.

CP is not just a 'mild childhood thing' it is also a killer. Don't put anyone else at risk.

TidyDancer Wed 16-Jan-13 13:09:00

Why would you take the chance?! Of course you could infect someone.

School run fine, needs must and all that, and a longer walk home maybe, but don't go to the supermarket.

morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 13:10:18

Fair enough - guess we'll have to wait til tomorrow for the essentials when an online shop can be delivered. (DH is away on business and have no family here who could do shop for me) Might venture out for a walk tomorrow after school to an area close to our house which I know will be deserted - will keep the rain cover on I guess. Thank you for all your comments.

WileyRoadRunner Wed 16-Jan-13 13:10:26

Oh please chipping! You are more likely to catch norovirus in the supermarket than chickenpox from children strapped into prams under a raincover.

If OP needs bread and milk to eat?

Such an overreaction.

For people with compromised immune systems colds could be a killer but no one expects everyone who has a cold to stay indoors for weeks on end!

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:10:38

Maybe MN hysteria is due many posters being on to a very upsetting thread at the moment die to CP.

You are probably right that if you take the precautions it will be fine, but I personally would only go out if absolutely necessary and no one else can get your shoppig.

My colleague died at 38 weeks pregnant giving birth due to her contracting chicken pox. She was not aware that she came into contact with anyone who had it.

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:11:11

due not die

BarbarianMum Wed 16-Jan-13 13:11:24

I don't see why the OP should be flamed.

School run - fine, park fine (if you can keep away from others). Quick pop into shop for essentials fine. 2 hours in soft play - not fine, but nobody is suggesting that.

Almost anything can, in certain tragic cases, end badly. Even the common cold.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Wed 16-Jan-13 13:11:54

YABVU

Did you not see the sleepy baby thread?

WileyRoadRunner Wed 16-Jan-13 13:12:59

And that is the problem MrsMelons most infections etc are infectious before they present symptoms.

It is tragic and of course precautions should be taken but the OP has made very sensible suggestions.

morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 13:15:57

Sorry haven't seen any other thread about CP. Don't want to upset anyone. Asking a genuine question with explanation of genuine precautions.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:17:27

Why don't we all just live in plastic bubbles and communicate via the internet...

Maybe pregnant women should avoid shopping as they never know what risks they might be running? MrsM, I am deeply sorry for your friend, but the odds are she contracted it from someone who was not aware and was not taking any precautions. Tragic things happen a lot. WIBU to say that pregnant women ought to go out as little as possible to avoid risking their baby's health? Yes, I thought so.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:18:24

oops their/baby's health, I meant.

snowybrrr Wed 16-Jan-13 13:20:33

YANBU They were going round merrily infecting everyone last week, when it was nearly a sure thing they were infected (Quite rightly I may add- we are not advised to quarantine siblings) so what is the difference?

morecakerequired Wed 16-Jan-13 13:23:25

(actually they weren't going around infecting anyone last week - DD1 had it and was off school so we stayed in the whole week until DD's spots had all scabbed over. I then also kept them in over the weekend even though DD1 was no longer infectious as I knew they could be. Spots appeared on Monday for 1 and Tuesday for the other)

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:23:44

fair point wiley but she could have come into contact with children that were taking out knowing they would be infectious.

TBH the OP sounds pretty sensible but I just think its this attitude of 'being' stuck in' that irritates me. Thats life someones and surely you should be able to occupy your DCs indoors. I can't really see what the problem of playing in the snow is if they are wrapped up. Them being stuck in a buggy is not really them getting much fresh air especially if they have the raincover on most of the time.

hazeyjane Wed 16-Jan-13 13:24:57

Sorry, but the difference is that it is wrong if you know your dc has chiken pox, it just is. Of course if they are out and about before the spots come out they will be infectious, then they might infect someone, and you can't prevent that, but when you know they have chicken pox, you keep them away from the public, that is why the advice is there. It is just doing the right thing.

MrsMelons Wed 16-Jan-13 13:26:33

Sleepy you are right in a way as stuff happens regardless of the precautions we take but it is a very sensitive subject for some and the reason for the OP going out is just because she's had enough of being at home and that just sounds a bit selfish.

And why am I getting a flaming when most of the first page of this thread people said the same hmm

CaptChaos Wed 16-Jan-13 13:28:46

With the precautions you are taking YANBU to whip in and out of a supermarket to get essentials, on the assumption that no one is going to get under the raincover and give them big kisses.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:29:17

that is why the advice is there - what advice? The NHS says "avoid contact with (vulnerable groups)" and "don't go to hospital" and "you won't be allowed to fly" not "don't go to Sainsbury's" and "avoid being in sight of anyone". The OP INBU.

specialsubject Wed 16-Jan-13 13:29:34

take them outside, just keep your distance from people and explain why if you meet someone you know. Those who say 'do not leave the house' must think that the entire planet needs to be sterilised.

supermarkets and indoors probably a bad idea due to stuffy badly ventilated buildings.

meditrina Wed 16-Jan-13 13:31:06

If you do not know you are infectious, then there is nothing you can do.

That is not carte Blanche to then go into confined public spaces during the (much longer) period when you know you are infectious.

Essential trips out must be done, taking a longer route back and avoiding other people: both fine. Going into a shop for essentials - has to be done.

Going into a shop when not essential (and OP said in a later post she can do her shop online): irresponsible.

5madthings Wed 16-Jan-13 13:32:10

Yes you spread it before you know they have it but to continue to spread it knowingly is wrong!

Yes for many people chickenpox is no big deal but it can kill. Seriously if you knowingly took your child out when infectious and bumped into a family with a baby or immuno suppressed child and they then caught it and died would you not feel a bit crap that your need to not stay in has led to the death of someone else's child?!

It may be a small risk but its not one to take, you are choosing to put someone's life at risk.

Sleepysand Wed 16-Jan-13 13:32:55

MrsM I appreciate it is a very sensitive subject - but what people are saying is that in view of a very, very low risk of a very serious result, the OP should avoid going to the shop or for a walk, when her DTs have already been confined to the house for a long time. That in itself presents a risk - they start getting scared of going out or meeting people - and the OP is, therefore, I think entitled to go out using precautions. Not sure if/why you are particularly being flamed - didn't mean you only!

noblegiraffe Wed 16-Jan-13 13:33:00

I would be exceptionally annoyed if I was queueing in the supermarket and I saw your poxy child in the queue behind me. The NHS website says it can be caught from 15 minutes in the same room as someone infectious.

The reason I would be annoyed is because I'm 38 weeks pregnant and would have my little boy with me. I've had it, but he hasn't, and if he caught it (which is a possibility) then he would come down with it just as I am giving birth. What am I supposed to do them? Separate my toddler and newborn? Tell him that he can't go near her for the first week of her life? Spend the first weeks of my baby's life worrying that she'll catch it and be really ill?

I don't need that kind of worry just so that you can get to the shops.

ruledbyheart Wed 16-Jan-13 13:34:10

YABVU I am 8 weeks pregnant and never had chicken pox myself if caught when pregnant it can cause serious pregnancy complications, I understand you have school runs etc and some things are unavoidable but to take a pox infected child put because your sick of being in the house is an irresponsible action of an adult!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now