Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel angry that every day my retirement seems to get poorer and further away?

(82 Posts)
Sleepysand Tue 15-Jan-13 12:40:45

When I trained I expected to be able to retire at 55. My colleagues ten years older than me have already retired but I am not entitled to my pension for 19 years. AIBU to resent that their benefits are ring-fenced when mine are taken away and my children will likely never get to retire?

thegreylady Sat 19-Jan-13 13:21:28

I retired from secondary teaching at 55. If I had had to go on (68now) I really believe I would have died as so many colleagues who continued to 60 did.
Teaching is very very hard if you do it properly.

TheNebulousBoojum Sat 19-Jan-13 13:22:40

What did you do instead, thegreylady?

marriedinwhite Sat 19-Jan-13 13:30:29

This has me thinking. MIL was a teacher and retired at 59 on reduced pension. She's 77 now. There are three ex teachers living around her. One is the same age and retired on reduced benefits at 55. Two are late 80s and early 90s now. One worked until she was 65 because she loved it and one carried teaching into her 70s having retired as a secondary school head in her early 60s. Teachers have always had to take reduced benefits if they have retired before the default retirement age - the difference is that the default age has been raised for all not just for teachers.

I am glad that one more inequality between men and women has bitten the dust. No-one can have their cake and eat it.

Catsnotrats Sat 19-Jan-13 13:52:24

Numerical Mum - I'm not sure why you think teachers in other countries work harder. Could I perhaps point you towards the OCED report that gives average working hours for teachers in developed countries.

OCED average weeks worked - 38, England -38
OCED average days of instruction - 187, England -190
OCED average net teaching time(for lower secondary) - 704, England - 703
OCED average hours required at school (lower secondary) - 1171, England -1265
OCED average total statuary hours (lower secondary)- 1673, England - 1265

As you can see we are pretty much bang on average. The only one where it is less is total statuary hours. That is because our contracts are technically only for when a head teacher tells us we must be in school teaching, supervising children, attending meetings and parents evening. All other activities e.g. planning, marking etc. still must be done but we have the choice when and where we do them.

Unfortunately I can't find average retirement ages, but based purely on my own anecdotal experience it seems to be late 50s/ early 60s as in England.

Hth with your sweeping statements.

thegreylady Sat 19-Jan-13 16:57:52

I did supply and picked and chose the schools carefully. I also did a lot of GCSE marking and,while it existed KS3 marking. At its height I could make £15 to £20,000 a year from marking alone. I was a Senior Marker for both exams and worked June and November. There were lots of associated extras too.
By the time I was 60 I had given up supply. This year has been my first without marking since 1979.

Euphemia Sat 19-Jan-13 17:12:33

I might leave at 60 and do supply, pick and choose my days. I don't want to end up too worn out to enjoy retirement. sad

gobbin Sat 19-Jan-13 17:22:59

Numericalmum, I gauged your age based on your statement that you have 40 more years' work left in you followed by hopefully 30 years' retirement. Unless you're well under 30, you're planning on living to a statistically unrealistic age!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now