AIBU to think that people should only be allowed a 4x4 if they actually need one?

(288 Posts)
boomting Sat 12-Jan-13 21:08:02

They are ridiculously fuel inefficient, and given the finite supplies of oil and the effects on climate change (and no this isn't a climate change thread!), I think that the government should only allow you to own a 4x4 if you have a demonstrable reason for needing one. You would have to submit a form and be issued with a special licence to own one. Reasons could include being a farmer, or having to tow heavy trailers that cannot legally be towed with a smaller vehicle. This isn't an exhaustive list of acceptable reasons, but people who only use them for the school run and going to the supermarket shop should not be allowed to use them.

AIBU?

KoalaTale Sat 12-Jan-13 21:22:56

Yabu.how about I'd like to have a 4wd to use in the snow and frost?

Let's remember this in a few days time when it's snowing and hospitals are begging 4x4 drivers to help bring their staff into work or councils are asking if us inconsiderate evil 4x4 drivers can do a bit of shopping for old people. Now off you fuck with your smug desire to control everyone else's choices.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 12-Jan-13 21:26:19

Ooh ooh another big car hater. I love these threads!

<gibber, gibber, dribble>

VBisme Sat 12-Jan-13 21:26:29

I think you've misunderstood what a 4x4 actually is........

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sat 12-Jan-13 21:26:37

YABU. What about old bangers and 'executive' cars that use loads of fuel. The government can't ban random things due to snobbery. Besides which, practically anyone who lives on a slight hill could claim a need.

SpecialAgentKat Sat 12-Jan-13 21:27:38

Only read OP.

I'd rather a different driving test to pass if you want a 4X4. They don't bother me too much except when people don't have the strength to fucking drive em!

But it would be good if people who didn't need them, didn't have them.

Not for a lot of young males in Liverpool, who are relying on the Jaguar Plant in Halewood for a job, in a region where employment and a decent wage is scarce.

But don't let unemployment, or poverty, worry you.

discorabbit Sat 12-Jan-13 21:28:32

i have to say people are really quite nasty on aibu aren't they, i know it's always been so, but not quite so arsey

cricketballs Sat 12-Jan-13 21:29:09

in the back of beyond that I live I wish I could afford a 4x4 just to get to civilisation when snow arrives!

I own one, I'm not getting rid.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sat 12-Jan-13 21:29:34

Strength? You know what you have to be strong to drive? A 1960s mini. I had awesome biceps when I had that car.

I don't give a toss what people drive .I know my Nissan takes £35 of petrol a fortnight to get me around and the amount I pay for insurance, servicing, tyres etc are probably a tiny % of a jeep/Landrover/Range Rover/ insert name of choice.

One thing I have noticed though- some drivers don't bother to parrallel park. They bump up onto the kerb and down onto the road.
Fine with the huge tyres, but hardly safe for pedestrians (Yes school run mums I am looking at you )

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Sat 12-Jan-13 21:30:12

YABU and quite frankly a bit dim.

My MPV is fucking HUGE and actually bigger than my 4x4. I had lots of comments about my 4x4 being bad for the environment, blah, blah, etc. Everyone who see's my MPV compliments me and really likes it. They are about the same for fuel economy, people have been brainwashed to believe 4x4 = bad. It's just nu labour snobbery.

BigShinyBaubles Sat 12-Jan-13 21:31:40

I need a huge stonking 4x4...but I can't afford one. Would the government buy me one?
I don't like them..purely because I'm jealous I'm not driving one. oh how I wish I had a big pimped out white Range Rover

I actually agree OP, having been brought up in the deep, deep countryside where the only 4x4 accessory going was a sheep (dead or alive) in the back and half a tonne of cow shit spread all over.
They are extremely useful vehicles in that and similar situations, generally rural, and totally ridiculous when driven elsewhere.

However, this sort of thread descends quickly into a bunfight along the lines of the NRA 'it's my right to do X' and doesn't get any better....
<lobs in inflammatory comment on a Saturday night and buggers off>

morethanpotatoprints Sat 12-Jan-13 21:32:20

YABU, because those who don't need them give us all such good comic value.

mrsjay Sat 12-Jan-13 21:33:46

once the government give up their big cars and probably 4X4s their huge houses stop flying here there and everywhere and dont give me they offset their carbon footprint , then they can say what cars people drive jeezus read it all now

boomting Sat 12-Jan-13 21:33:56

By a 4x4, I am referring to cars that receive engine power to all four wheels simultaneously. They invariably look a lot like this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jeep_Wrangler_TJ.jpg (note the lack of mud).
I see MPVs differently as they are normally bought by people with more than 5 people in the household, who actually need the extra space.

I'm quite aware of how a democracy works - I did spend four years studying it.

The government already regulates many things, for the good of the individual or the common good. Examples include having to pass a driving test before you can drive, not being allowed to buy cigarettes until you are 18, and not being allowed to possess a gun without having a good reason for it.

Why should a 4x4 be any different?

I would like a 4x4 so I could get it of the house when the hill freezes. Or one of these: www.flickr.com/photos/26857063@N02/3255183109/ who needs a 4x4 when you have one of these fuel guzzling beasties!

ShellyBoobs Sat 12-Jan-13 21:34:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 12-Jan-13 21:36:55

I used to get crosser about this, and I still do a rolly eye when I see some stupid 4x4 taking up two parking spaces, or driving really inconsiderately, and I'd still lose respect for anyone who drove one for no real reason.

However, now I'm more pessimistic, and think we're all fucked anyway, and if I really felt anything could help, I wouldn't fly or drive my own car. I mean, I try: we choose cars based on what seems most economical and everything, but I don't suppose I have a leg to stand on given that I drive most days and sometimes fly.

I know I wouldn't have much time for anyone who just chose one of those cars because they thought it was cool or something. I wish people didn't drive them. But still.

VBisme Sat 12-Jan-13 21:37:07

Sorry is that not just a 4wd?

In that case I have one, its a 10 year old x type Jag, (all x types are 4 wd), amazing in the snow, but I'd love to be able to afford to get rid of it and buy a new car. (Maybe the government could fund that?)

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 12-Jan-13 21:38:56

I wish the government would give me a brand new environmentally friendly cheap to run car to replace the gas guzzling exhaust chugging old car that I currently drive and can't afford to replace.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 12-Jan-13 21:39:05

That said, OP, the rudeness which is being directed at you by some people does probably say a lot. You are basically right, IMO, I just lack the courage of my convictions, sadly. The nastiness you're coming in for however is unpleasant and smacks a little of protesting too much and too spitefully

That's one well loved but well battered Jeep there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now