to think MN shouldn't support boots co-advertising newborn bottle sets and "follow on" milk

(902 Posts)
ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:30:00

when there's a national campaign on to promote BF?

Presumably this advert passes the letter of the law regarding the non-advertising/non-special offers on formula for new born's but it defies the spirit in every way possible.

AIBU to expect a little more social responsibility from MN?

WorraLiberty Thu 10-Jan-13 12:42:11

What CheCazzo said

Ridiculous

ledkr Thu 10-Jan-13 12:42:28

Oh ffs I have no tits should I be locked on prison?
My baby had a cleft palate so couldn't have bf anyway so do I not have the right to peruse the options for ff?
Get off your high horse op.

mrsjay Thu 10-Jan-13 12:42:56

but it isn't showing formula it is showing bottles is their a law against bottles then should baby bottles be banned and put under the counter maybe beside the poison cabinet in the chemist under lock and key so nobody is offended by a baby bottle ,

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:43:06

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hemlet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:43:31

So....how are people supposed to be made aware of FF if you don't think they should advertise, Icbineg?

CheCazzo Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

weeper Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44:31

I expressed milk for the first nine weeks of my daughter's life while trying to establish bf. Don't know what I'd have expressed into or fed her from if bottles weren't available!

Not everyone can BF. I gave up in the end because it just wasn't working and it was so upsetting and spoiling my enjoyment of the first stage of my daughter's life. I still feel massively sad and guilty about it, almost every day, and she's nearly five months old now.

So give yourself a massive pat on the back for being able to do it and thank your lucky stars that you don't always feel like you're giving your child the second best option. I was massively pro-BF, I just couldn't get it to work, so I think your argument is a bit over-simplified.

Vagaceratops Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44:53

Why is advertising FF socially irresponsible?

Do you honestly think that people come on MN, see an advert for follow on milk and then decide that they are not going to breast feed/quite breastfeeding.

MN caters for different parents with different views and choices. I keep getting the MN homeswap advert. Should I get my knickers in a twist because I dont want to homeswap or because no-one would come here

WorraLiberty Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:00

Yes mrsjay, baby bottles should be locked in metal cabinets...away from public view just like cigarettes are wink

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:01

How is advertising FF irresponsible? Because you are trying to persuade someone to make a choice that is less healthy. If it isn't a choice you do it anyway...so why advertise?

People who need to use FF will and do and of course should.

People who are making a free choice may be influenced by advertising to make a choice that is less healthy for their child.

Hence the advertising is irresponsible.

sockmuppet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:04

So are you saying that women are so stupid they are swayed into FF due to advertising OP?

You don't hold other women in particularly high regard in that case.

mrsjay Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:08

but it is follow on milk it isn't formula it is a drink for children who are or have been weaned it isn't promoting anything it shouldn't.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:32

If people don't see adverts and make decisions based on them then WTAF would companies spend money on them?

MrsMcEnroe Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:41

How the Jeff is choosing to formula feed socially acceptable, but advertising it socially unacceptable??

ledkr Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:51

Maybe it should just go underground alongside illicit drugs. Sold on street corners by dealers who are lacking morals as they were ff.

PolkadotCircus Thu 10-Jan-13 12:45:58

Mums net advertises McDonalds big time something actually worth getting your knickers in a twist about given they shite they sell,their selling strategies and the masseeeeeve impact they have on children's health globally.

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:46:22

Why would the BF rate in countries that ban all FF advertising by 99% as opposed to our what 50%?

biscuit

Get over it.

Fancydrawers Thu 10-Jan-13 12:46:33

ICBINEG Thu 10-Jan-13 12:47:33

fancy do you have anything at all to contribute other than personal attacks?

Anything at all?

Hemlet Thu 10-Jan-13 12:47:57

I don't think they're trying to persuade anyone to FF, I think they're promoting it to help those who choose not to or are unable to BF. Why is that wrong? They don't say 'This is the better way to feed your child!!', they just make women aware that the other option is there and shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.

It is not irresponsible.

mrsjay Thu 10-Jan-13 12:47:59

so a new mum or mum to be sees bottles on offer in boots and thinks Oh bargain I will now make my whole feeding choice of my baby o n a special offer in a high street chemist formula all the way for me hmm, itv show me adverts for fast places doesn't mean I think yep big mac every night for dinner it is then

ledkr Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:01

Op I see you managed to ignore my post. Can I ask you what women in my position should do?

MrsMcEnroe Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:04

I didn't base my decision to formula feed on an advert, FGS!!!! And I think you are deluded if you honestly think that adverts for formula sway new mothers away from breast feeding. I had never noticed a formula advert in my life; I just knew that I didn't want to breastfed. So shoot me.

mrsjay Thu 10-Jan-13 12:48:21

fast food places*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now