If your friend wanted to call their daughter Lily

(133 Posts)
Vagaceratops Tue 08-Jan-13 22:16:47

(totally outing myself here but ho hum)

And they thought that the spelling Lille was really nice, would you point out that that is a place in France and the pronunciation was different?

Or would you leave it and let them find out on their own?

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 11-Jan-13 03:46:56

I know a woman through work whose name is Kayte. I always call her Kate but my boss calls her Katie. I still don't know which is correct.

bp300 Fri 11-Jan-13 03:06:24

You need to give her the lecture from the new Compare the Market adverts.

There's no confusion
They're different Words
Spelled with different letters
Pronounced differently!

DoJo Thu 10-Jan-13 22:52:00

Well, my name only has two letters and people STILL manage to spell it wrong - even in response to e-mails etc where my name is a part of the e-mail address and in my auto signature. My son has an unusual name, but spely exactly as it sounds, but his middle name is actually a family surname so it has a slightly unusual spelling, but that's why it's his middle name - so he doesn't have to spell it every time he gives his name!

Boomerwang Thu 10-Jan-13 19:24:45

I wanted to give my daughter a Swedish name, but I wanted my Brit family and friends to be able to pronounce it properly, so I simply changed the spelling to look exactly as it sounds, which fortunately is pronounced the same way if a Swede were to read the name.

The first thing you should consider when choosing a name for your child is whether they're going to have a lifetime of misspellings and pronunciation problems associated with it. It's only fair to your kid.

QOD Thu 10-Jan-13 13:50:19

I know a Hanne, drives people mad as they just her Hann eh or just Hann or Hann eeee

It's Hannah sound ... Dad is German I think?

haggisaggis Thu 10-Jan-13 13:41:45

Quint - We picked Norwegian names for our kids to go with our surname - but were careful to pick ones that could be pronounced easily in UK. (Used to know someone through work called Wenche - I can pronounce it correctly but my then boss got it wrong every time)

Scholes34 Thu 10-Jan-13 13:26:24

I have friends Sara and Sarah and their names are pronounced the same.

I used to know someone called Karen (pronounced with a long "a") and she got very shirty if you didn't get it right.

The "e" on the end of Lotte, or similar German names is the schwa (upside down e), and not an "ie" - ie Lott-uh, rather than Lott-eee.

FellatioNels0n Thu 10-Jan-13 12:20:19

Lotta as Lottie? confused

Do you mean Lotte pronounced Lotta rather than Lottie?

ThatArtfulPussy Thu 10-Jan-13 11:48:08

My friend Sara is pronounced Sarah (and she's British).

squoosh Thu 10-Jan-13 10:49:04

American Saras pronounce it as Sarah.

WillowFae Thu 10-Jan-13 10:35:35

And then you get regular names that are spelt correctly and people still don't pronounce properly.

Sarah and Sara are NOT pronounced the same!!!!

Moominsarehippos Thu 10-Jan-13 09:04:40

I knew a Hollee. Her mum did get huffy if misspelled!

YouOldSlag Thu 10-Jan-13 09:02:14

I find it quite passive aggressive that people give their children misspelt names and then feel aggrieved when the rest of the population haven't read their minds and get it "wrong".

Lotta as Lottie is a perfect example of this.

My children have traditional but not common names, spelt normally. When I signed DS2 into nursery she said "Oh thank God for that, it's so nice to hear a name I can spell for a change!"

I'm not saying we should all use boring normal names, but people can't expect to change the generally accepted way a name is pronounced.

FobblyWoof Thu 10-Jan-13 09:01:34

I. Not really understanding those who are saying spelling Lily as Lille is a personal choice of how you spell/pronounce a name

They are two different words confused

It's like wanting to call your child Kieron but spelling it Connor and expecting people to call him Kieron! Change the spelling of names if you like, but don't change them into entirely different words! grin

smornintime Thu 10-Jan-13 08:49:09

Cabrinha - "What, I can spell Sally "Frying Pan". No, I can't."
I chose names with normal spellings on purpose. Staff at DS's nursery were actually quite complimentary!

MrsMelons Thu 10-Jan-13 08:22:26

I may be being a bit stupid but how on earth could Lotta ever be pronounced Lottie?

M0naLisa Thu 10-Jan-13 00:59:17

Someone I know has a daughter called Lotta pronounced Lottie

Lindsay321 Wed 09-Jan-13 23:14:51

Hi everyone (sheepishly)

I totally got the wrong end of the stick with this thread, sorry blush

OP, I thought you were being mean about your friend! I realise now that you weren't. Sorry for saying you were being horrible.

Yes Lille is an odd spelling and I can see that it's pronounced "leel". You are right to tell her thats how the rest of the world will pronounce it too.

DS has a very normal name no funny spelling. I don't know why I was up on my high horse but believe me at the time I was towering !

As you were...

blush (again)

hopkinette Wed 09-Jan-13 21:51:46

GregBishopsBottomBitch Wed 09-Jan-13 21:37:39

A Swedish couple has been fined for failing to register a legally approved name for their seven-year-old child, who is presently called "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" (pronounced "/ˈalˌbin/"). They've offered to change the kid's name to "A," but the Swedish government says that won't do, either.

Poor, Poor, Child, Lille is pale in comparision.

sameoldlovebunny Wed 09-Jan-13 21:29:25

tell her its lil'lee.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 09-Jan-13 19:53:21

Ah! I had an a friend called William Ankers once. It's a reasonably common surname where I grew up and so didn't cause too much notice till we all hit high school. I often wonder what on earth his parents were thinking.

sparkle, try substitue the e in wenker for for an a, and you are almost there. The r is silent, however.

Tricycletops Wed 09-Jan-13 19:46:04

sparkle12mar08 Wed 09-Jan-13 19:45:55

Wenker? Vensher? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now