to tell my cleaner not to come tomorrow?

(86 Posts)
reddwarf Thu 03-Jan-13 08:05:29

I've had a cleaner for a few months. Tomorrow is the last day of the school holidays. My dc are all still in bed and likely to be there for quite some time. As is dh. My cleaner normally comes at 7.45.

So not only are 5 people going to be in bed, but as everyone is here, the house is a tip.

I feel guilty for cancelling, but otoh, it#s not exactly ideal.

What to other people do re cleaners in school holidays, and AIBU to tell her not to come? ( WHich I did last week )

Should I just make it a blanket rule not to come during any school holiday?

McPhee Thu 03-Jan-13 08:32:30

You still need to pay her.

It's not her fault you don't want her. Imagine, your told not to come in to work, even though you are willing, then get told 'oh, and we're not paying you either'. You'd be cross no??

MoetEtPantsOn Thu 03-Jan-13 08:34:05

I think you've got to have her or pay her tomorrow. Could she iron instead or at least do downstairs plus some kind of deep clean.

I usually get mine to come later in the hols and then arrange to be out at that time. Could you try that tomorrow actually?

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 03-Jan-13 08:37:45

Could she do the oven and fridge and that kind of thing?

My lady is casual enough too. We don't get her during holiday time. I would have cancelled or swapped days if one of the kids were sick in bed.

twofalls Thu 03-Jan-13 08:37:52

I wish you were all students of my dh (guitar). They are always cancelling with short notice and are very unhappy about paying, (even though dh offers opportunity for a replacement booked at last minute if he has the time) - ds had a cold, cricket match, granny's birthday, homework, it's raining. Drives me nuts.

Op you should pay her on this occasion and then talk about term time hours in future.

DontmindifIdo Thu 03-Jan-13 08:38:57

I would say as a principle you pay even if you cancel her, if she has made herself available for you then you should give more notice than this.

However, before doing anything drastic, could you call her today and say that you will all be in tomorrow morning but out in the afternoon, and is there any way she could swop you with one of her afternoon clients and come then instead? Then just bundle everyone out after lunch (and make them put some things away in the morning so she can actually get at the house to clean it). I would imagine you need a cleaner after all being in over christmas. Mine's been away for 3 weeks, I'm soooo happy she'll be back next week!

Longer term, it's your house too, if you don't want a cleaner and are prepared to do the cleaning instead, why are you hiring one?

reddwarf Thu 03-Jan-13 08:40:42

Thank you most, a constructive suggestion at last. Blimey. I'm relatively new to having a cleaner. I was unsure so asked. I'm glad I know the answer but saying it a bit nicer wouldn't hurt. The last school holidays we were away, and she didn't come last week, so this is the first time I'm faced with a madly messy house and a house full of lazy sleepy heads. I've been up since 4. Me being out of bed and dressed isn't a problem.

I'll see if she can come later tomorrow, and I'll have to tell her in future not during school holidays. If she doesn't want to do that that's fine and up to her.

Plenty of such jobs are term time only, eg the kids sports and music lessons.

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 03-Jan-13 08:41:49

YABU you should have thought about this in advance. I would phone her see if you can rearrange this week,cancel but you have to pay or get her to come but ask her to do less intrusive things like the living room if you are all in bed then turf out the children one by one so she can get on with it. Not fair if she is cash in hand to cancel her on the day.

gimmecakeandcandy Thu 03-Jan-13 08:44:26

It's fine to only have her term time!

I would let her come tomorrow - she can work around you and even if she doesn't do all she always does at least she can clean the bathroom kitchen etc? You'll feel better for it.

AppearingDignified Thu 03-Jan-13 08:46:21

you don't really seem to have got your head around the whole thing.

I have a cleaner who comes 2 times a week for 4 hours. If the house is full of kids, i send them to their rooms for a bit and she does the kitchen and then the ironing etc

My cleaner definitely sees her job as one that continues through the year and is priced accordingly.

sassytheFIRST Thu 03-Jan-13 08:47:19

My cleaner doesn't come in school hols unless we are away. I don't pay her for those weeks, but it is arranged well in advance - and I give her a week's bonus in advance at xmas anyway.

Think you should cancel tomorrow but offer to pay her anyway - or get her to come twice next week. Will help get Xmas chaos dealt with anyway.

Autumnalis Thu 03-Jan-13 08:53:33

You can cancel and you don't have to pay. It's the nature of these jobs and sometimes people will get pissed off and finish arrangements. Or they'll just understand it's give and take. I've had the cleaner in though with 7 children in the house (all in one room, though, on the Wii) but cancelled another time when we had family visiting and suitcases and guest beds in the way. She cancelled when her DC was ill. 24 hr worked for us both.

But her job is not term time only! You are deciding to change it

Pagwatch Thu 03-Jan-13 08:56:28

You just need to talk to her tbh. You are sounding a bit like she is a wild animal you are circling warily.she is just a woman trying to do her job and earn a living.

My cleaners have always come during the holidays. I just plan it. So we chose a day to suit both of us and a time to suit both of us. So my cleaners are coming next when I have booked to take the youngest children to the cinema. If ds1 is in bed I will just ask them to leave his part of the house. If one of the children were ill or we were having a lie in,I would ask them to give downstairs and the basement a thorough clean. Or to come at a later time.
Often changing times etc is better for my cleaners as they often have children themselves.

And they quite accept that the house is messier across the holidays. It's the same for most people with children at Christmas.
Just talk to her. I bet you can come up with something.

SaraBellumHertz Thu 03-Jan-13 09:04:53

I'm sorry if you think the responses were blunt but it amazed that me the number of people who would be outraged at certain behaviour (being cancelled for work at the last min) are happy to reflect that behaviour back at a cleaner.

FWIW my situation is slightly different - I live overseas and have a FT housekeeper so she is here regardless of whether the 3 DC's, DH and I are. We just work around it. I do understand it can be uncomfortable having someone cleaning 'round you' to start with but everyone gets used to it and if it really is impossible to clean any part of the house then there are always bits and pieces to be done that don't get done as standard like sorting out the horror that is my DD's wardrobe!

Going forward 2 months notice is sufficient to significantly alter her hours but if she is a good cleaner and you live in an area where the same is sought after then be prepared for her to say she needs a regular weekly commitment.

DontmindifIdo Thu 03-Jan-13 09:08:06

Plenty of jobs are term time only, but she's not picked to do one of those and hasn't set her charges to reflect that she will only work term times.

Vagaceratops Thu 03-Jan-13 09:12:20

You may be new to having a cleaner, but are you new to having common decency?

reddwarf Thu 03-Jan-13 09:18:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I cancelled my cleaner last week, but paid her. This week she cleaned round DH and the DCs, God the house looks better!

bamboostalks Thu 03-Jan-13 09:23:34

I need my cleaner more than ever in hols. The place is even more filthy than ever. It is awkward manoeuvring around her. I try to go out but again not always possible.

Icelollycraving Thu 03-Jan-13 09:59:48

I think calling mners mental makes you pretty unreasonable.

fuckwittery Thu 03-Jan-13 10:08:59

I pay my cleaner 5.6 weeks holiday a year as advised I had to by the agency I found her from. She does 2 hrs a week so 11.2 hrs pay a year holiday pay. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/e_information_for_small_employers.pdf

She hasn't come for 2 weeks over Xmas but i will pay her, also 2 weeks in summer and at easter.
from internet research holiday pay is a gray area for cleaners but I assume the agency has advised correctly so I have paid it.

flowerytaleofNewYork Thu 03-Jan-13 10:14:49

Our cleaner comes in the holidays, I definitely need a clean house then as much as in term time, probably more as there are more of us around making mess and I've more to do looking after the DC.

She comes at 9.30 so we are all up and about and we just stay out of her way as she moves room to room, and have usually gone out by halfway through her shift anyway.

7.45 is early during the holidays, so why not just ask her to come a bit later in holiday time? No reason you should suddenly have to do all the cleaning just because the kids aren't at school.

Vagaceratops Thu 03-Jan-13 10:15:34

I understand you are having a bit of a stressful time, with your FIL being in a coma, but you are being unreasonable.

Bonsoir Thu 03-Jan-13 10:17:06

You cannot cancel her because you are all too lazy to get out of bed and then not pay her shock.

I think you should all spend a couple of hours tidying your house today so that your cleaner can clean it tomorrow.

festivelyfocussed Thu 03-Jan-13 10:26:19

Maybe it's a little short notice to cancel without paying but on general principle I can't see why you have to pay for someone to not do your cleaning! I don't have a cleaner sad but friends of mine who do don't pay them for when they're not there. Employment arrangements are not all the same. A PAYE type job will have different boundaries (holiday pay etc.). You can make arrange,ends that suit you and your cleaner.
That doesn't help with this week though. Maybe on this occasion, because of the short notice and as you haven't previously agreed it with her you DH could pay her for some extra work (laundry??) to make up for the loss this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now