to not think this beauty product is a scam? (dark circles)

(122 Posts)
xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 23:47:42

I have dark circles, and it really is the bane of my life.

I've managed to get rid of the pigmentation through a dermatologist.

They are lighter but still there unfortunately.

I have used countless creams and gels etc and have come to realise that for anything to work it would need to prescribed, not bought over a counter.

However I've done some research and found what seems to be the holy grail. Out of 87 reviews, it has 75 rating it 5 stars.

Should I buy it and see for myself or just think that it's probably just another beauty scam claiming to do something that is pretty much impossible?

MarianForrester Wed 02-Jan-13 22:37:13

Have you tried the By Terry concealer?

It was a revelation to me, didn't recognise myself. Friend bought some too after seeing me!

Both make up junkies who have tried Everything over the (many) years.

JamieandtheMagiTorch Wed 02-Jan-13 22:34:19
JamieandtheMagiTorch Wed 02-Jan-13 22:30:01

Hi OP

I too hope you didn't get upset by our pissing about. It was aimed at the shysters who sell these products and not you.

Sounds like you've had a good go at the best treatments out there. If i were you I'd look into the theatrical makeup that's used for people with port wine birthmarks/ scars etc. i'll try and remember what it's called and come back on here.

I know hwat it's like to feel very self conscious. I am a very hairy person and have had laser treatment for it. But if anyone else mentions it i think less of them, not me.

Santasapunkatheart Wed 02-Jan-13 18:18:59

As someone of Asian descent, I have dark circles. I use Clinique when I can be bothered.

No I would not use this product.

The main ingredients are two types of seaweed. The rest, repackaged in science-type language is botox. Excretions from rats' brains. It will tighten and give the same effect. Then you will have to keep using it.

Only in America. Not available here and no way would I put that on my skin and never on my face.

WhiteRoseDrop Wed 02-Jan-13 18:10:41

A blepharoplasty can be used for eye bags.

Eye bags is the puffiness below the eyes.

Where as dark circles are darkness around the eyes.

The two are very different.

WhateverTrevor Wed 02-Jan-13 18:07:02

Betty what's bb cream from home bargains?

WhateverTrevor Wed 02-Jan-13 18:03:49

theo can I ask how Botox got rid of your bags? I know it gets rid of lines but had no idea it worked on bags. Does it work on baggy eyelids?
How often do you have it done?

theodorakisses Wed 02-Jan-13 17:44:41

No I had big black bags, not swollen pink ones. And, yes, I wouldn't ever choose to fly Ryanair.

Pinot Wed 02-Jan-13 16:43:38

Dermablend concealer is what you need, IMHO. It's just the best - and creamy enough for undereyes, Lots of concealers are too dry for around the eyes, making them go chalky and drawing attention. Dermablend is perfect - and for your friend too, great for spots/scars.

Agree with the BB concealer but the only things that sorted out my tear trough/dark circles was filler.

xameliax Wed 02-Jan-13 16:39:49

I'm not having a go at anyones post Ewe , I already said I'm just overly sensitive about this area.

Of course dark circles aren't a huge problem or life threatening. But peoples are problems are always going to be more important to them and seem much bigger (despite what others may think)

My friend has recently started taking really strong medication to cure her spots. Do I notice her spots? No I really don't. Do I tell her this? yes. Does it make a difference to her? No.

Thanks for the Bobbi Brown suggestion, I might have a make up consultation there. I have heard great things about their concealer before so it's nice to know that it's nots just fake reviews.

The one I'm using now is Erase Paste, but I feel this is quite harsh and maybe brings attention more to the area.

As stupid as it sounds I'm a little embarrassed about sitting at a make up counter with no make up on and people walking around and staring at me. (I know in actual fact no one could actually gives a damn but it's still hard to sit there and feel comfortable if you know what I mean?)

EweBrokeMyManger Wed 02-Jan-13 16:21:32

Ooh thats the first time this year someone has had a go at one of my posts and it only took 2 days.

Noone is belittling how you feel but in the great scheme of things we all have stuff that is wrong and my eye circles, purple though they are come a hell of a long way down that list. After acne and dodgy hair and all sorts.

Noone has ever said anything about mine to me and in fact I dont even cover them up - I only use makeup rarely.

flowerytaleofNewYork Wed 02-Jan-13 16:06:45

Seriously, OP, get a decent concealer. I was using what I thought were good ones, and resigning myself to the circles being a bit lighter.

Then on the recommendation of people on here, I hotfooted it down to the nearest Bobbi Brown counter and had them sort me out.

It was a complete revelation. I'd not seen my eyes without any signs of dark circles for as long as I could remember, so when the assistant held up the mirror it looked weird, my eyes looked almost too bright as the skin under the eyes and in the corners was the same colour as the rest of my face, for the first time in years.

Sorry to sound evangelical, I don't work for them I promise, but unlike eye bags or a million other physical things that people worry about, this one is so easy to deal with because with the right concealer, you can just hide it.

Well, good for you! He sounds like a right twit - who doesn't know you don't tell anyone they usually look tired?!

Btw you are not being 'too sensitive'. These things are really hurtful, when people make you feel bad.

xameliax Wed 02-Jan-13 15:59:53

No don't worry I'm not hurt smile . I'm just way too sensitive about things like this.

I think it's because the problem has been there for so many years that it has become deep rooted.

I remember I hadn't had a comment said to me in ages. My ex asked me out for a drink, I'd just had eyelash extensions done (my friend was training to be a beautician).

He commented saying "I looked shiny"
confused so I asked him what he meant.
His response, that I looked nicer and different with my eyelashes, as I'd always looked so tired before.

And he wondered why I didn't want to date him again.

Mumsyblouse Wed 02-Jan-13 15:44:26

OP, I have some things I do not love about out my face double-chin for starters but I think it's a shame to live your life worried about appearance to this extent. I go out a lot and work in a very social job but I can't say I have noticed anyone's dark circles around their eyes EVER (and yes, you do notice things like big noses, bad skin etc, it's only human). This makes me think that your thinking about this is distorted, especially as you have seen a dermatologist and have good make-up but are still fretting about it. I know it's easy for me to say, but the way I think, we only have one life, I'm going to enjoy mine, despite the wobbly tummy and double-chin (although I do wish they weren't there). If you were just enquiring about this product just out of interest, fair enough, but your issues seem quite deep-seated, which is a shame as I really doubt that others around you are as interested in your eyes as you think they are (I don't really count school bullies, as they seem to hone in on all aspects of appearance which can be devastating but does not mean there is anything desperately wrong with yours.)

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 02-Jan-13 15:30:55

It's absolutely horrible op, I've had them since I was 13 (now 49) and, as you probably know, no amount of sleep, exercise, water, de-tox, supplements can shift them.
I'm resigned to decent concealers - just bought Touche Velouté as recommended on here but it's not as good as the Bobby Brown corrector plus concealor on top.
Some loons websites recommend fenugreek made into a paste with milk and left on for 10 mins - seemed to have an effect on me but DH begged me to stop because I smelt like a curry house!

Aw, xameliax, I hope our banter has not hurt you.
It is a bug bear of mine that most cosmetics promise more that they can deliver.

Frankly, the way you sound, I thing you might be best to invest some time/effort and money in to how you are feeling about yourself, rather than some 'miracle cream'. Self-esteem and confidence do not make you any prettier or your dark circles any lighter, but they will stop those imperfections from affecting you so deeply. And maybe allow you to leave former bullying and verbal abuse behind you.

Don't buy the cream, see your GP and find out what counselling/self-esteem workshops are availabel in your area.

Sorry, xame - I did wonder, I've got to admit, which I shouldn't say.

I am appalled you've had such a rough time. And you can be sure the one thing you're not, is 'just vain'. It sounds to me as if you've had a campaignof bullying, basically. Now your response to that is not 'vanity'. That, IMO, is a nasty way people have of making women like you feel bad about themselves.

But do be careful of random shite on the net - please!

xameliax Wed 02-Jan-13 15:27:03

Because botox is used for eye bag removal.

Dark circles and eye bag are completely different things.

Well if it gets you down that much how about doing what theo did and getting some botox?

xameliax Wed 02-Jan-13 15:20:52

I know you're all just having a joke but it's such an important thing to me.

I have had dark circles since the age of 10, it has wrecked my self confidence and being name called constantly and people started rumours saying I was a drug addict at school, I've even having strangers in the street walk up to me and say things.

I didn't have my first boyfriend until the age of 22 because I believed no one could possibly find me attractive. Even now if I get a compliment I do graciously accept and say thank you - but in my mind I'm thinking wtf??

My used obagi for the pigmentation and then elure which really helped. I then had a laser treatment to start circulation. I also keep them hydrated during the day using an victim C moisturiser.

And yet I still have them.

Maybe I am just vain, but when I look in the mirror all I want to do is cry.

Sorry, ignore me, 'twas the riches that got me all distracted and thread-derailly blush.

grin at jamie.

Ryanair?! confused

How did that get in to this?

Ah, at least the appearance of riches beyond our dreams grin.

I could never fly Ryanair again... <<whistful>>. I digress, sorry, recent trauma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now