Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think sleeping with open windows in January is only Right And Proper?

(260 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:28

Seriously, surely this is normal? DH just made his 'pained face' when I popped up to air the bedroom prior to retiring. Over Christmas I opened all the windows in my mum's and PILs' insanely overheated windows before going to sleep. I almost always have open windows to get fresh air whilst we sleep.

I don't know how anyone can sleep in a stuffy room with the windows shut all day and all night! DH keeps saying 'But it's December'. Apart from the fact that it's now January, isn't he BU??

everlong Tue 01-Jan-13 22:58:55

I'm with you 100% op.
We love sleeping in the cold < freaks > but we had an attempted robbery through our open bedroom window the other year and it freaked us out.

So now we have it open on a restrictor. Bummer.

hopenglory Tue 01-Jan-13 23:00:09

We don't have any heating upstairs and still have the (big) windows open

BelleDameSousMistletoe Tue 01-Jan-13 23:00:23

Weirdos.

Can only assume you didn't all have freezing bedrooms (ice on inside of bloody windows) as children. A bit of air is nice, no-one likes stuffy, but sleeping with open windows in winter? No bloody thank you.

usualsuspect3 Tue 01-Jan-13 23:00:23

my house backs onto a busy road,so the air is not exactly fresh.

sandyballs Tue 01-Jan-13 23:00:50

Would love to do some sort of survey on this. Do the window openers get less bugs and illness than the non window openers? Are they generally more robust?

I am always turning down our heating and flinging open windows. Just spent afternoon in our lovely neighbours house but I felt stifled, couldn't touch the radiators as they were red hot, no windows open. They seem to get every. If going.

sandyballs Tue 01-Jan-13 23:01:15

Every bug going!!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 01-Jan-13 23:01:49

YANBU at all. The Christmas diet dictates the need for open windows, tis common sense.

DialsMavis Tue 01-Jan-13 23:02:00

My bedroom windows do not open, but they don't close properly either? so it's always breezy in here wink

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 23:03:28

Hmm I am rarely ill but then I do work with young people, who are famously infectious.

usual I dictate heating, but God help me if I get in the kitchen when DH is cooking......... We all have our spheres of influence.

xameliax Tue 01-Jan-13 23:04:13

prior to retiring

You sound well posh grin

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 23:04:50

Shatners absolutely - I don't normally eat meat but I did have turkey at Xmas to make life easier for everyone and I have never been so bastarding hot in my whole life!! DH calls it 'meat-sweats' - nice, eh......

inadreamworld Tue 01-Jan-13 23:04:59

Luckily DH and I agree on window open (locked open not open so random people can climb in!) at night. My parents house is v stuffy with closed windows and high central heating and gives me a headache. When I was young and lived with them I used to open my window wide at night and they didn't like it.

GreenShadow Tue 01-Jan-13 23:05:08

Windows closed on all but the very hottest nights here. Heating on in the evening.

HATE being cold at night - waking up with a cold nose is horrible and if my feet are cold, genuinely can't sleep. Don't feel the air is stuffy.

Luckily DH thinks the same - genuinely don't think I could marry someone who needed windows open at night.

GreenShadow Tue 01-Jan-13 23:06:00

We also don't get ill, despite our 'fetid' air.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 23:06:06

xame Oh absolutely, I would never do anything so vulgar as go to bed.

I do live in a Regency romance novel, as you may have guessed from my other posts....

wink

inadreamworld Tue 01-Jan-13 23:06:26

GreenShadow shows we are all different. We are both lucky we married someone who agrees with us on the window issue....smile

MousyMouse Tue 01-Jan-13 23:07:43

we don't sleep with windows open. but a good airing before retiring to bed is essential.
some of you 'non-airers' must have bkack mouldy walls...

quoteunquote Tue 01-Jan-13 23:07:59

YANBU,

I cannot stand sleeping with the window shut.

chris481 Tue 01-Jan-13 23:08:33

I close all windows in Autumn and open them again the following Spring.

I have a well-insulated flat, heating is off at night. I don't understand how it is possible to be to hot on a winter night, unless you only have the heating on at night, or turn up the thermostat before you go to bed. Maybe you need a thinner duvet, I use a summer one all year round.

My flat never gets stuffy.

We breathe slower when asleep, so there should be less need for an open window at night than during the day.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Tue 01-Jan-13 23:19:14

I somehow manage the feat of having ice cold feet (unless I use a wheat bag) along with boiling the rest of myself. No heating on and window open. If my heat would distribute itself evenly I would be fine.

ihearsounds Tue 01-Jan-13 23:20:33

I have to have the window open. If not I get very hot, almost feverish. It takes several hours to cool down, have been out in the snow in shirts and vest top in desperation to cool. Dreading menopause lol.
Hospital I have to get a private room so I can get a fan in there or open the windows. Cannot do it on ward (although the heat of hospitals, lack of opening windows no wonder you pick up various germs during your stay).
Hotels and b&b's I have spent hours phoning/emailing to find out if windows open properly or if they have aircon.

We always sleep with our window open, I like the bedroom to be freezing! We also have a thin summer duvet all year round.

NaokHoHoHo Tue 01-Jan-13 23:42:18

I air our bedroom every day - but not while I'm in there, why would I want to do that?! I get cold enough at night as it is without opening the window.

Windows get opened as soon as I'm washed and dressed, and shut again some time early evening - or before then if the rest of the house feels drafty and/or it's pissing it down. House gets plenty of fresh air that way so it doesn't go stuffy or mouldy, but I don't freeze my tits off in bed.

Loshad Tue 01-Jan-13 23:53:28

Cote, the house is not that warm. Think old draughty house with heating off since 6pm, though we do still have the fire lit in the sitting room. just can't stand stuffy, or too hot!.

sudaname Tue 01-Jan-13 23:54:38

<applies to adopt Revoltingpeasants poor hard done by DH and let him have heating on from September and windows shut all night and be snug as a a bug with lovely feather bedspread and hot water bottles aplenty. As a fellow 'cold arse' l would be the ideal sympathiser. smile>

<but then remembers the hot flushes, like this > angry that she gets imbetween being a cold arse where she leaps out of bed, throws all bedding on floor, flings all windows wide open whether sub zero or not, then wakes whole house up by running a shower, before reversing whole process ten minutes later when usual cold arse status has returned.>

Thinking about it , better leave it. At least he knows where he is with you Revolting freezing.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now