to think sleeping with open windows in January is only Right And Proper?

(260 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:28

Seriously, surely this is normal? DH just made his 'pained face' when I popped up to air the bedroom prior to retiring. Over Christmas I opened all the windows in my mum's and PILs' insanely overheated windows before going to sleep. I almost always have open windows to get fresh air whilst we sleep.

I don't know how anyone can sleep in a stuffy room with the windows shut all day and all night! DH keeps saying 'But it's December'. Apart from the fact that it's now January, isn't he BU??

EuphemiaInExcelsis Tue 01-Jan-13 22:38:02

euphemia your parents having locked windows makes me nervous, what would happen in a fire?

Lord knows, but in my parents' view, at least they wouldn't get burgled again. hmm

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loshad Tue 01-Jan-13 22:39:59

open window here as well, if i thik DH will complain because it is too cold outside i do it after he is asleep. Never wakes him up hmm at the time or later that night.

Hate hot hotels rooms where the window only opens half an inch too.

Longdistance Tue 01-Jan-13 22:40:33

My mil opens all the windows and doors. I find it a tad annoying, as it can get bloody freezing, and then I have to find a coat to wear. She used to do it at our house when we lived in the UK, she can't do it to us when she visits us in Oz, or she'll let in all the creepy crawlies <shudders>

JustAHolyFool Tue 01-Jan-13 22:40:36

Windows have to be open, anything else makes me feel bleh.

I must have the window open all night, even in freezing weather.

Otherwise the room smells like a skunk's armpit in the morning. (Because of DH, I hasten to add, not me, I'm a little flower)

He would rather it was warm, no matter how stuffy it gets.

However, I win. grin

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:42:10

Rhubarb I am having a panic attack on your behalf for now, for real. How in hell do you manage with non-opening windows? For me that is like being in a car underwater.

I am sure that made you feel loads better wink

AlwaysReadyForABlether Tue 01-Jan-13 22:44:15

Always have the window open - unless it is really stormy and the noise is keeping me awake. Hate being too hot in bed. Love being able to snuggle down with just the fresh air on my face.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:45:00

Oh ho! - DH says 'It is because you MN lot don't understand our windows'. Natch! We are not talking little windows at the top, but full-pane windows iyswim.

I say it makes no difference.

HollyBerryBush Tue 01-Jan-13 22:45:21

YANBU - I dont care if its blowing a hooley, lashing it down, snowing, hailing - windows are always wide open .... I cannot abide stuffy, over heated houses.

EuroShagmore Tue 01-Jan-13 22:45:34

Lots of weirdy fresh air brigade on this thread. In my view, we have spent millenia developing well-insulated housing and heating so that we do not have to suffer sleeping in freezing cold houses. Why you would want to is beyond me.

CoteDAzur Tue 01-Jan-13 22:46:27

You people are crazy.

Heat your homes less if they feel too hot.

MrsFlibble Tue 01-Jan-13 22:46:30

I sleep with my window open all night, i cant bare sleeping in a hot bedroom.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:48:03

Cote DH was not allowed to have the heating on till end of the first week in Nov. He is very hard done by, and would like to be adopted by a more sympathetic wife.

MrsFlibble Tue 01-Jan-13 22:50:02

Cote I can have my heating off for days but my bedroom is always hot, its not even south facing.

emsyj Tue 01-Jan-13 22:51:18

We don't have the radiator switched on in our bedroom either - so doubly chilled!

usualsuspect3 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:52:11

sometimes I open the window and sometimes I have it closed.There are no rules.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Tue 01-Jan-13 22:54:06

I have to have the window open else I feel that I'm suffocating. Also have to sleep nearest to the window.

usualsuspect3 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:54:21

How can you tell another adult what they are allowed to do?

hiddenhome Tue 01-Jan-13 22:55:19

We don't use the heating and we still open the windows grin

You can never have too much money or too much fresh air imo.

Mrsfluff Tue 01-Jan-13 22:57:20

Window open here to, bedroom lovely and chilly grin We both sleep naked as well - can't abide being hot and stuffy in bed. To the poster that hasn't opened their Windows since 2000, don't you roast in the summer?

nurseneedshelp Tue 01-Jan-13 22:57:33

Open them windows! Its so unhealthy breathing in that same shitty air all the time and the germs breed like crazy when its hot and stuffy!

itsmineitsmine Tue 01-Jan-13 22:57:44

I air my house for half an hour a day but keep them shut otherwise.

Our windows are massive and open outwards. We are saving up for window locks to lock tnem open but unattended, open, upstairs windows are an absolute no-no for us in a house with small children (and i consider us being fast asleep to constitute the windows being unattended)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now