to think sleeping with open windows in January is only Right And Proper?

(260 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:28

Seriously, surely this is normal? DH just made his 'pained face' when I popped up to air the bedroom prior to retiring. Over Christmas I opened all the windows in my mum's and PILs' insanely overheated windows before going to sleep. I almost always have open windows to get fresh air whilst we sleep.

I don't know how anyone can sleep in a stuffy room with the windows shut all day and all night! DH keeps saying 'But it's December'. Apart from the fact that it's now January, isn't he BU??

When the shower broke down in our rented flat, we were told showers aren't part of being inhabitable. The bath is. I'm not 100% surprised HA doesn't include them. But they should though.

Adversecamber Thu 03-Jan-13 22:21:38

I didn't live in a house with a shower till 1989. My neighbour used to bath in a tin bath in front of the fire and have an outside loo . This was in 1979 so not that long ago.

ComposHat Fri 04-Jan-13 01:19:17

Yep at least three rental properties I've lived in have lacked a shower, we had those rubber tap attachments with a shower head that you buy from boots.

I was born in 1980 and remember showers being a comparative rarity/luxury. My grandparents house (built in the early 70s) didn't have one until about five years ago and only then because my gran couldn't get in and out of the bath easily. I think my dad installed a shower in our house some time in the mid-80s. I certainly remember not having one as a nipper.

It was comparatively normal for kids to be bathed only once a week on a Sunday and that would last a whole week. My mum fancied us a cut above as we had a bath every other day albeit in bathwater shared by the whole family, it would be absolutely grey by the time the last person had it. It was also pretty grim if my mum had shaved her legs in the bath, you'd come out covered in prickly hairs.

We must have all stunk to high heaven.

[Cue Hovis music]

skullcandy Fri 04-Jan-13 01:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

deleted203 Fri 04-Jan-13 01:35:43

Are you mad, woman! Flinging windows open in January? (I am assuming you live in UK). I am on your DH's side I'm afraid and would have to strangle you if you opened bedroom windows in my house. grin. I'm ALWAYS bloody cold.

cumfy Fri 04-Jan-13 02:25:29

YANBU, 15 tog duvets were invented before windows.

Fact.

mathanxiety Fri 04-Jan-13 02:43:28

Dad put in a shower with an electric pump some time in the 70s in our house in Dublin. He liked a lot of new technology and was quite handy so it was a task he enjoyed. He tried in vain to get mum interested in a microwave but she wouldn't let him buy one. She returned home from visiting me after the birth of DD1 to find he had installed one in the kitchen and was very pleased with himself. She generally uses it for storing eggs.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 04-Jan-13 02:52:23

YABU.

I feel the cold terribly and would be very unimpressed if bedroom windows were opened now!

Bunbaker Fri 04-Jan-13 11:38:04

to get the soapy water off.

Perhaps you use too much soap. I use soap in the bath to wash essential areas, but not on every inch of my skin as it simply doesn't need it.

Do you rinse your dishes? No
Do you empty your bath and then refill it to rinse? No, the water isn't soapy or dirty.
How about your hair, how do you wash it properly? I can't seem to get the shampoo out when I was stuck with a bath. I don't wash my hair in the bath, I do it in the shower.

CoteDAzur Sat 05-Jan-13 16:17:24

Of course I rince the dishes. I'd rather the detergent doesn't stay on them, to be eaten up next time those dishes are used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now