To think that having a tattoo of someone's name is... Not good

(102 Posts)
NotAChocolateRaisin Mon 31-Dec-12 20:41:18

Im in a grey area about names of the deceased or children's names but I personally would think it was tacky hideous not good if my mum had my name tattooed on her or if someone did after I died.

AIBU?

blonderthanred Tue 01-Jan-13 09:26:44

Did anyone see the programme Addicted to Tattoos? It was one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen. The guy with a massive scorpion across one side of his face to cover his exgf's name who was having a second scorpion tattooed to cover... the subsequent exgf's name. Amazing.

And as for the Miley Cyrus guy... words fail me.

MrsWolowitz Tue 01-Jan-13 09:27:18

YABU and snobby.

I don't have any names but I have lots of tattoos and each one of them symbolises a significant event of time in my life.

I really don't give a monkeys who likes them as long as I do as its my skin and my memories.

Same with the name tattoos or tattoos of dead loved ones names. Who are you to say how people should or shouldn't grieve?

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Tue 01-Jan-13 09:38:12

Oh gosh blonder the Miley Cyrus guy was truly something else wasn't he!

I love tattoos, have a couple (hopefully tasteful!) ones myself and will be getting both my DD's names done in the near future. DH has my name and DDs' on one arm, a full Polynesian sleeve on the other and is saving up for a back piece. The artwork is fantastic. Neither DH or I could give a shiny shit what anyone else things of our tats, each to their own I say and you can't judge others because you don't know the story behind what made them get what they have.

IsawFoofyShmoofingSantaClaus Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:55

Yabu

I don't like them
I wouldn't have one
I give not a tiny shiny one what others do.
Unless you ask you will never know their reasons. (although that would be rude)

(should my mother decide to tattoo my name on her after my demise I won't care. I'll be dead. )

My dp is a tattoo artist and cover up of ex lovers name is very popular, he advises against it but children/ family are a little different.

HintofBream Tue 01-Jan-13 10:00:42

Tattoos are vile. Take the short cut and just have 'I am a chav' on your forehead.

I have the names of my children tattooed on me. It doesn't bother me what other people think. They are not big and I think they are tasteful.

A bit dramatic there HintofBream, but I'm not going to complain about tattoos as let's face it it puts a roof over my family's head and food in my children's mouth as well pays for all the bills grin

MrsWolowitz Tue 01-Jan-13 10:09:42

Hintofbeam you know what they say, only chavs say chav.

That aside, you sound delightful hmm

RiddoTheRedNosedReindeer Tue 01-Jan-13 10:10:12

I wouldn't have one but what other people do is up to them.

I do know someone who had her partners name in inch high letters across her back and then they split up.

HintofBream Tue 01-Jan-13 10:13:20

Thanks Mrs W, I certainly am.
Strawberry, if people are daft enough to want them, good luck to your DP.

MrsWolowitz Tue 01-Jan-13 10:15:38

I was just thinking if all the words you could have on your head ^Hint* but I guess there wouldn't be much point as nobody would see it as your judgey pants are pulled up far too high.

You may want to get out more and broaden your mind and opinions. Just a thought.

NumericalMum Tue 01-Jan-13 10:20:02

I have never seen a tattoo I didn't think looked awful, but I guess I don't have to look at any on a daily basis so of someone else wants one then good for them. I might lock my DC away if she ever mentions getting one though! I don't know any people IRL who had tattoos when they were teenagers who don't regret them.

HintofBream Tue 01-Jan-13 10:20:14

Mrs W, having worked in a prison for six years, I saw more than enough tattoos to turn me completely off them for life. To me they are irrevocably a sign of low life losers.

He doesn't need luck thank you very much, the tattoo industry is very lucrative and my do is talented. Nor is it daft or for chavs, his customer pool includes barristers, police officers, servicemen/ women, pensioners (oldest was 83), professional fighters, people from all walks of life. I very much agree you need to broaden your narrow mind or at least educate yourself about an industry you obviously know little about.

MrsWolowitz Tue 01-Jan-13 10:22:44

Like I said, you might want to think about get out more and broadening your mind then.

Dp not do damn you autocorrect!!!

skullcandy Tue 01-Jan-13 10:30:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepsforwimps2010 Tue 01-Jan-13 10:33:14

kids names ok
partners names never!
but my friend has her own name tattoed on her wrist.....
not sure what thats all about!

HintofBream Tue 01-Jan-13 10:36:58

MrsW, if broadening my mind means agreeing with you, I'll leave it, thank you.

blonderthanred Tue 01-Jan-13 10:37:52

I never thought I'd have a tattoo but when my dog died last year I got his little paw print tattooed on my arm from a photo. I'm 36 and quite posh. Times have changed and all sorts of people have tattoos these days. It's as silly as saying people called Daisy can't be barristers (as I've seen on baby names thread).

Quite like the idea of getting my son's name in Times New Roman or typewriter font.

HappyJazzy Tue 01-Jan-13 10:46:31

YABU! Have you ever lost someone you loved? It hurts like hell and for some people a tattoo like that helps them with their grief. I don't have a memory tattoo, but I will never remove my ear piercings which my brother did to me in a moment of madness and having them in keeps him that little but closer to my heart.

MrsWolowitz Tue 01-Jan-13 10:55:22

No *Hint broadening your mind doesn't mean that you have agree with me. Its just means that you give consideration to others perspectives and also to stop being so rediculously judgemental. "Low lives", "daft", "chav" are horrid assumptions and make you sound...well..like a twat.

I actually feel a bit sorry for you if you go through life judging so harshly and assuming the worst about people. It must be a very exhausting way to live.

crookedcrock Tue 01-Jan-13 10:58:50

Yanbu....at all.

HintofBream Tue 01-Jan-13 11:12:57

Really, MrsW? I think I can survive quite happily without your feeling sorry for me. Or judging me for that matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now