Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To start watching buffy the vampire slayer now I'm not a teenager

(366 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 18:12:16

Have love film and have just started series one episode one. Am actually really excited blush

nikcname Thu 27-Dec-12 21:45:54

UADNBU!! Buffy is great! I watched it when it was originally on, now have the box set. DS 16 enjoys it too, he remembers it from reruns when he was around 10. The movie is terrible, series is smart, funny and poignant.

FrankelcenseAndMyhrr Thu 27-Dec-12 21:47:49

When Joss wrote BtVS the film, it was taken over by the studio and turned into a camp-fest that was far removed from his original vision. However, at that time he was not well known so had no power over what happened with his idea.

When he finally got the idea revamped as a TV show he worked hard to make sure it stayed true to his original concept.

Binkybix Thu 27-Dec-12 21:51:16

If people are Joss Whedon fans, you might also enjoy 'Doll House', which stars the actress who plays Faith (Elisa?) I've never actually watched all of Buffy, but really enjoying Angel and was totally gripped by DH.

KaraStarbuckThrace Thu 27-Dec-12 21:54:18

Buffy totally rocks. Love the way Joss Whedob crafted such well rounded, multifaceted characters. The main cast grow with time and experience, for example Xander starts off as an awkward male hormone bomb and eventually turns into a thoughtful, confident and steadfast man who is full of courage.

Schnarkle Thu 27-Dec-12 22:00:47

Just dug this out tonight again after finding it in the back of my wardrobe. Starting at series 3 as I reckon I've watched series 1 and 2 about a gazillion times each grin

Spero Thu 27-Dec-12 22:03:48

I gave my daughter the middle name Buffy. One friend was horrified. Strangely, we are no longer in touch...

InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 22:04:25

no schnarkle start series one and we'll watch it all the way through together. Get up to episode 4 tonight and tomorrow night we xcan watch another couple of episodes.

CrazyChristmasLady Thu 27-Dec-12 22:05:01

I loved Buffy. However series' 6 and 7 were annoying as hell and it did ruin it for me a bit. Dawn is fucking annoying too. Evil Willow was cool though!

Hex? How can people even mention that in the same breath? It was utter utter dogshite. Didn't really like Angel, although the episode where he danced at Cordelia's apartment was funny. Wesley was looking pretty fit in it as well.

ShellingPeas Thu 27-Dec-12 22:05:14

Love Buffy as a series, fully of humour and intelligence.

And Spike...oh yes, I so would smile

CordeliaChase Thu 27-Dec-12 22:05:59

I LOVE BTVS! I'm rewatching them for about the 12th time, I'm on the last season (not my favourite but still pretty great!). Angel rocks too, he's so hot when he's angelus!!

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 22:09:59

Eliza Dushku. Dollhouse is absolutely fantabulous, until it suffers from the standard Whedon mid-season cancellation and he just vomits on screen to get some kind of story finished.

OhDearNigel Thu 27-Dec-12 22:13:54

Buffy isn't just teen television, it's really well crafted, has some groundbreaking story lines (eg. lesbian relationship seen as totally normal and not a "look we're doing a lesbian scene) and some really scary bits

Episodes like Hush, The Body are incredible tv

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 22:22:20

The Body <weeps>

mrsmalcolmreynolds Thu 27-Dec-12 22:26:22

Also in the great JW cannon is Firefly - cancelled after half a season but truly ecxellent tv. And gave the world Nathan Fillion -mmmmm

mrsmalcolmreynolds Thu 27-Dec-12 22:26:58

Nuts - excellent even

Signet2012 Thu 27-Dec-12 22:29:37

I just got love film. They are all on there. gringringringringringringringringrin. I don't intend on moving. I've being watching them at 11am each morning since been on mat leave on syfy but it doesn't always fit in with my schedule but now.... Oh my days!!

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 22:34:17

I don't actually fancy anyone in Buffy/Angel. Is there something wrong with me??

Although my boyfriend has a proper man crush on Spike grin

Valdeeves Thu 27-Dec-12 22:37:21

This thread made me laugh "in his coat." Ha ha - I feel exactly the same!
When I started my teaching practice the entire sixth form class I taught were obsessed with Buffy and they taped it off Sky to give to me.
I was absolutely addicted and for my 30 my hubby bought me the entire box set. I love it - and I love Spike ( in his coat) - my favourite is the ridiculous musical episode.

VicarInaTutuDrankSantasSherry Thu 27-Dec-12 22:37:49

YANBU! we have the entire box sets! i loved it - all of it. also loved firefly and dollhouse too....the latter 2 were cancelled angry most unjust! they were fab.

buffy was a complete revelation for me! not what i expected at all when i started watching it - i was 35!

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Thu 27-Dec-12 22:41:56

Where is Buffyfairy? She needs this thread!

I love Buffy.

Mmmmmm SPIKE!

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 22:44:34

I like how everyone's completely bypassed Riley in the hotness stakes grin

FrankelcenseAndMyhrr Thu 27-Dec-12 22:45:46

Spike, in his coat or out of it, who cares wink

I can't believe that James Marsters is pushing 50 shock He is on my "List" grin

Signet2012 Thu 27-Dec-12 22:48:39

I once showed dp the One with The sex scene in. You know the one, spike, buffy knocking down walls.

I told him that was my favourite sex scene of all time.

He told me he was no spike, sadly I agreed.

We also have a very strong house

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 22:52:21

We watch Without a Trace a lot and when my boyfriend saw 'James Marsters' in the opening credits he nearly fell out of his chair grin And it took us all the way 'til the end of the episode before we realised which character he was. He looks so old different!

Have you heard his band?

kim147 Thu 27-Dec-12 22:55:52

I used to love Buffy in my 20s. Loads of great characters. Used to worry about them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now