Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To start watching buffy the vampire slayer now I'm not a teenager

(366 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 18:12:16

Have love film and have just started series one episode one. Am actually really excited blush

Tee2072 Thu 27-Dec-12 18:44:53

Hex is crap compared to Buffy!

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 18:46:10

Nope, never too late! Buffy is an amazingly crafted piece of television imo. The earlier series obviously look quite dated now but it stands the test of time otherwise. So, so good. We have the dvd boxset and I re-watch it frequently.

Angel was mostly utter bollocks in my opinion though, although if you do decide to watch it I suggest watching Buffy/Angel in tandem so you get the right running order! Some seriously excellent crossover episodes ( I Will Remember You anyone?!)

QuickQuickSleigh Thu 27-Dec-12 18:48:49

I watched the lot on bt vision when on mat leave, it was fab! Enjoy smile

Buffy rocks! The writing's really good and it's very funny at times but leaves me sobbing at others (Becoming, part 2 anyone?). DH and I are both huge fans.

LaVitaBellissima Thu 27-Dec-12 18:50:24

I loved Buffy!

Has anyone been watching Teen Wolf the new series?, Spike is in it as a Werewolf hunter grin smile blush

Acandlelitshadow Thu 27-Dec-12 18:51:25

Missed it first time round due to DC being tinies. Got a (VHS!) boxset in a chazzer but still left it a few years. When I did get round to it I loved it. Youngest DC scrounged the set off me (was going to recycle the vids after watching) also loved it and now won't part with it hmm

I scored 'Angel' at the same time but have been sidetracked. This thread has given me a kick up the arse to concentrate grin

JakeBullet Thu 27-Dec-12 18:51:44

YANBU.....have just watched them all again in my mid40s. The writing is fab.....and of course there is Spike from Season 2 onwards. Go for it I say......might watch a couple of episodes myself tonight as its child free here.

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 18:53:46

I think I've cried at every single series finale blush And then some of the sadder mid-series ones which I won't mention because I don't want to spoil it for brandy

Spero Thu 27-Dec-12 18:57:37

I started watching it in late twenties. Never thought it was 'for teenagers' - it is brilliant in every way. Never understood why things get put in boxes for certain age groups because of it's genre. That's like thinking South Park is suitable for 6 year olds because it's a cartoon.

Buffy's great! DH and I re-watched the whole 7 seasons an episode a night a few years ago pre DS grin

StuntGirl Thu 27-Dec-12 19:03:28

Well it was created as a teen show, and its entire premise was based on the idea that 'high school is hell'. Its just that bloody brilliant it transcends age demographics grin

FrankelcenseAndMyhrr Thu 27-Dec-12 19:12:40

I love Buffy. The first ever episode I saw was The Pack, on BBC2 in about 1998. I was hooked from the moment it started.

DH has been insisting I watch Supernatural for ages. I finally gave in and bought him the box set for Christmas - we're 6 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. Similar sort of vein to Buffy (hunting down evil) but a bit darker. Of course it will never be as good as Buffy, but it helps that Jensen Ackles is easy on the eye, though he will never replace Spike in my affections wink

margarethamilton Thu 27-Dec-12 19:57:21

YANBU. It's ace and I'm going to dig out my DVD box set now!

Spero Thu 27-Dec-12 20:17:45

I don't agree it was created as a 'teen' show. Joss Whedon said he was pissed off with the blonde girl getting killed horror film trope so he wanted to create a kick ass heroine. But even if it was, it transcended that demographic immediately.

And even if box set came plastered with stickers saying 'under 30s only, step away you sad elderly loser' I would simply ignore them. If somethings good, its good. Age is just a number.

alcibiades Thu 27-Dec-12 20:47:55

OK, if we're going to do ages-when-we-first-watched-Buffy, I beat all of you because I was in my 50s!

I think it was back in 2000 when my daughter (then in her middle 20s) suggested I watch a couple of episodes. I knew of the show, because my son (then in his early 20s) was a fan. I'd dismissed the show because, you know, cute blonde kicks ass, it's a teen show, etc.

The two episodes my daughter made encouraged me to watch were from season 4: "Hush" and "Restless". I won't say anything about those episodes in order to avoid spoiling them for new viewers. But those who recall those episodes will know why I looked like this -> shock, but in a good way. (I then borrowed my son's DVDs to watch from the beginning, and then went on to watch every episode until the very end.)

For a TV show that was marketed as a "teen show", it's at times very deep, with much more adult/philosophical themes as the show developed. I think the first few seasons are ok for youngsters aged 11 or so, but the later seasons do get very dark at times (but are good for prompting discussions). When the show started on UK TV, it was shown in the 6 pm slot (because, you know, it's a teen show), but as the seasons went on and the show got darker, there was an edited version at 6 pm and an unedited version at 10 pm.

I liked Giles – especially when at moments of stress he polished his glasses with his tie. I didn't care so much for Angel. Spike – well, his appeal is timeless. And his coat. grin

littlemissnormal Thu 27-Dec-12 20:56:25

Buffy is brilliant. I used to work in Bath where Giles lives and got really excited when I saw him a couple of times quietly walking around. shock

InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 20:58:11

I remember watching the 6 o clock ones but I've never watched in order and it was years ago.

AyeOopMoose Thu 27-Dec-12 20:59:29

Oh I loved Buffy.

One of the highlights of my life was meeting Giles in a Bristol sandwich bar and getting his autograph (before the days of camera phones).

Yet the flip side is one of my biggest regrets is not giving DD1 the middle name of Buffy. grin

HumphreyCobbler Thu 27-Dec-12 21:03:24

Buffy is superb. <gavel>

Once More With Feeling is the best television that has ever been made

InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 21:03:28

I live in Bristol, I need to keeps eye out for Giles more!

juneybean Thu 27-Dec-12 21:04:18

I've just rewatched them all, tis a fantastic series! Love Faith and Evil Willow!

FeistyLass Thu 27-Dec-12 21:11:19

Buffy is brilliant! I've spent years trying to persuade dh to get a coat like Spike's . . . to no avail sad

AyeOopMoose Thu 27-Dec-12 21:12:46

Brandy this was about 10-12 years ago god that makes me feel ancient but I think he lived around and about.

He was lush and the message he wrote was " we're all watchers, you know". Deep.

Dfg15 Thu 27-Dec-12 21:32:00

im 55 and I still love Buffy, and Angel. Got both series on DVD, and this thread has made me want to watch them all again! Two of the best TV series ever

alcibiades Thu 27-Dec-12 21:39:46

Spero - I think it was pitched by Joss as a teen show, because he knew how the business worked. He was already known in Hollywood as a "script doctor" by being able to rewrite crappy screenplays into something workable.

And once he'd got the pilot episode re-shot (with Alyson Hannigan as Willow), and the viewing figures came in ("Buffy" was a mid-season replacement), Josh knew that as long as he could manage that difficult balancing act between satisfying the bean-counters and giving the audience what they craved, namely a challenging and satisfying show, then he'd have the freedom to write the show he wanted to write. And his basic premise was exactly as you've said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now