To start watching buffy the vampire slayer now I'm not a teenager

(366 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandyButter Thu 27-Dec-12 18:12:16

Have love film and have just started series one episode one. Am actually really excited blush

I can completely see the point you make now....it just always confused me, and usually Joss Whedon's plots are pretty tight. It does kinda make sense. Buffy is the ultimate Slayer paradox...it nearly undoes the world as well, but saves it in the end.

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 14:37:55

TBH I hadn't even thought about it until someone else pointed it out blush

Do you remember the episode where she had that fight with the boy/vamp that majored in psychology? He had a whale of a time psycho analysing her and told her that she had a superiority complex and then that she had an inferioty complex about the superiority complex??

That summed the whole series up, for me. Joss Whedon was never afraid of highlighting the complexities of human nature and being completely honest with the characters havign flaws etc - not like so many other shows where the leads are practically perfect in every way.

That's what made it so plausible for me, because even if you stripped away the paranormal, it would still make a pretty decent story!

Agreed....I'm a massive Whedon fan. Everything I've seen of his (Firefly, Dollhouse etc) has been fantastic. Dollhouse was amazing....I wish it had been allowed a few more seasons to tell the story properly. All his characters are flawed. But then all PEOPLE are flawed....even the really good ones. Buffy is an incredibly complex person....and I love her all the more for it.

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 14:44:18

He even makes the 'unimportant' people important - Xander.

To me, Xander is one of the most amazing characters ever written. Surrounded by people who are technically 'special' and he still manages to hold his own and be a valuable member of the group.

I heart Xander

Xander is great....and I love his relationship with Anya. The only character who annoyed me a bit is Dawn....but she's supposed to be annoying.....oh and maybe Riley, but I can understand the point of his as well in terms of Buffy's character growth.

I do mostly love the original Scooby Gang. The first 3 seasons are by far the best. The finale of season 3 is my favourite bit. The fact it's all about the leaving of high school etc (I was leaving high school at about that time) just made it all the more powerful. They're going out into the world etc....<<whistful>>

Ahh I still haven't got around to starting to watch it again yet, but I have it ready. We're just catching up on Dexter. I watched a few episodes form season 6 on SyFy yesterday. We don't normally have that channel in our package but it seems to be available to us for some reason at the moment.

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 14:55:01

We must be about the same age Scarlet because I was watching it around them too grin I get quite nostalgic when watching it because I had all these plans and ideas and morals...

I agree about season three - but I recently watched season five and had forgotten how powerful it was towards the end. Season six and season seven are so emotionally draining, I find.

ExDP used to watch Dexter but I am wary of getting sucked in to watching any more seasons - I get far too involved!

I'm nearly 30, so they left school a bit before I did, but It was still very relevant to me.

Dexter is great. We get very into series of stuff and watch lots together (DH loves Buffy too, one of the first things we talked about).

Together we've watched the whole of - Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural, Buffy, Angel, Dexter, Grimm, Walking Dead, Fringe, Alphas...I'm sure there's more...we're closet geeks blush

Ooooh you should watch Death Valley if you like that kinda thing. There's only one season so far but it's funny as fuck grin

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 15:06:27

I'm watching the Walking Dead at the moment - I love Glenn and Maggie grin

I think I will investigate a couple of those - it's only five weeks till half term after all!

BSG is fantastic if you love Sci-Fi, Fringe is also amazing. They've also got GREAT kick-ass female lead characters. I've yet to watch the last couple of the last season but I have them on the Tivo box.

Oh of course we've seen Dollhouse and Firelfy as well, but I mentioned those earlier.

We're watching the new episode of TWD tonight, I've waited SO LONG!

Love zombies....love everything about them. Death Valley has zombies, vamps, everything. It's about a special unit of the police that has to deal with a "supernatural threat" after it just appears in modern day America. It's VERY funny and action packed, shot like a documentary (like Traffic Cops or something).

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 15:54:28

Is Dollhouse the one that had Eliza Dushku in it? If so, I saw an epsiode of it once and was desperate to see the rest, but then forgot...

I like Firefly, I'm sure I watched the first season on boxset.

You will love the next episode of TWD grin I watched it and couldn't believe when it ended - I was certain I had only been watching for twenty minutes!

I am a massive zombie/Buffy style vampire fan. By Buffy style, I mean anything but Twilight although I love those films so Death Valley definitely sounds up my street.

You are a bad influence grin

Tryharder Sun 17-Feb-13 16:12:01

I started watching back to back Buffy episodes on Lovefilm as a direct result of seeing this thread. Finished Season 3 last night. Am absolutely loving it. Have a schoolgirl crush on Angel even though I am 42. Cried buckets last night when Angel and Buffy stared longingly at each other and then he turned and disappeared into the smoke/mist <sob>

TwllBach Sun 17-Feb-13 16:29:00

I'm a little bit jealous Tryharder that you are getting to witness them all for the first time!

I must leave this thread alone

Tryharder Sun 17-Feb-13 16:40:49

HaHa Twllbach, when I've finished Buffy, am going to watch Angel so have got hours and hours to watch yet. My DH is pissed off because I sit and watch Buffy every evening that I am not at work.

I'm with you on Twilight Twllbach - load of sparkly lame bollox if you ask me grin

Yes Dollhouse has Eliza Dushku in it....there are two seasons, it's awesome.

EmpressOfThePuddle Sun 17-Feb-13 20:23:47

DD is a huge Twilight fan - v v offended when I pointed out that Edward wouldn't last two minutes against Spike grin .

thaliablogs Sun 17-Feb-13 20:52:02

IMO it is essential to watch the 'right' seasons of angel with the appropriate buffy episodes. On original broadcast they were back to back and particularly in angel season one some of the events only make sense in tandem ( eg buffy getting a phone call "hello,hello? " but no one is there, angel episode he is calling her....)

Joss Whedon is a genius and buffy one of finest tv programmes ever. Thanks for this thread, I am truly among my people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now