To think that parents who give their children unusual names are egotistical...

(297 Posts)
Crouchendmumoftwo Sat 22-Dec-12 15:36:18

I live in an area where there are lots of children with unusual first names, one might say contemporary or ever preposterous. Names such a Lux, Brutus, Fire, Ace, Rudy. Most of these children are mild mannered and don't stand out in any particular way. I wonder if the name giving is more to show other parents the: "we are creative and middleclass and bit different". I feel that the parents havent given their children much consideration in later life. A man in his 50s called Brutus doesn't have the same appeal as a small boy. I guess that is why David Bowie's son changed his name from Zowie back to Duncan.

trapclap Sat 22-Dec-12 16:33:39

I live in a multicultural area. My children don't have common English names and neither do most of her friends. Dd met my friends husband the other day, he is called 'Chris' - that's a funny name she said!

HelpOneAnother Sat 22-Dec-12 16:34:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bealos Sat 22-Dec-12 16:35:57

I can't help feeling sorry for the boys called Orlando that I know. I guess theses could be as commonplace as Mark in the 70s

Arlo seems to be really popular at the moment, for example...

Crouchendmumoftwo Sat 22-Dec-12 16:36:14

Yes Sarah was very commonplace too and Nicola. I guess there are made up names which are different and might never catch on like Zoom and I kid you not he exists around here!

Narked Sat 22-Dec-12 16:38:47

And the baseball player Albert Pujols - which the American commentators pronounce Albert Poo-holes but don't find funny.

Sparklingbrook Sat 22-Dec-12 16:39:52

DH said he saw 'Tracey' on TV except it was spelt Treyc. confused

Crouchendmumoftwo Sat 22-Dec-12 16:40:06

I met a Randy too! He had long hair and a droopy moustache! He came into our office to present some artwork and we had to stifle a giggle when someone mentioned his name.

JamieandtheMagiTorch Sat 22-Dec-12 16:41:27

There's an R-marni round here.

everlong Sat 22-Dec-12 16:42:12

I have loved having an unusual name. I've never met another one of me.

Not all unusual names are weird.

SledsImOn Sat 22-Dec-12 16:43:39

Come on then OP - tell us - are, or were, your DParents egotistical? Or did they just like that particular name and think you might like it too?

I've chosen fairly unusual names for my children, not made up, all of them are proper names if a bit old fashioned maybe.

I think people do it for all sorts of reasons. Part of mine is I feel I'm treading on people's toes if I use their child's name - like I'm trying to copy them, as if I've bought the same coat as them if you like.

It makes me feel awkward. Partly it's associations - if I knew 3 different Michaels growing up and didn't like any of them, I won't want to use it because it has an association with them.

I want to use a name I really like. And yes if it happens to belong to another child that's not a problem, but if it belongs to another child say in ds's class, or whose mum I've known for a long time, or my sister or cousin - then no, I won't use it.

It's not about being exclusive - it's about finding a little space in nameland of our own. It's not about being special either, or aspirational.
But also it isn't about being dull or having the same name as 100 other people born in the same place at the same time, just because it's fashionable.

And then again, I've always felt a bit weird, a bit like no one thinks I fit in, and so perhaps it is a bit about me in that sense - I feel a slightly more unusual name for my child reflects on who I am. And where he comes from.

I see it as a creative opportunity but also it has to fit - it has to come to you like when you're painting a picture or writing music or something - and then once it's come to you, it has to work in other respects - like remind you of someone famous you approve of, or have good associations in other ways.

I don't know, perhaps this is the most pseud piece of writing you have ever read but it's kind of how I see it and I hope it helps...if I called my next baby Alex, or Tom, or David, that wouldn't mean much to me. It'd be a name for the sake of a name...those names belong to other people, other children, not mine.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 22-Dec-12 16:43:42

I have a friend who called their child Sidney.

It's a girl. sad

I also worked with a girl who was convinced Charlie is a girls name. She wouldnt have it that it was a boys name originally.

badguider Sat 22-Dec-12 16:43:50

I have so many Alison and Fionas in my phone it's a nightmare! Appearing in the top ten names in the previous three years will veto any name I think of for my offspring i'm afraid.

everlong Sat 22-Dec-12 16:43:57

I have loved having an unusual name. I've never met another one of me.

Not all unusual names are weird.

LadyBeagleBaublesandBells Sat 22-Dec-12 16:44:06

One of my friends has a son called Ruaridh, up here in the Highlands it's not uncommon, in fact his great uncle had the same name.
I love the name, it was on my shortlist for my own ds, though we chose Fraser in the end.
Not particularly uncommon in Scotland, but practically non existent south of the border.

JamieandtheMagiTorch Sat 22-Dec-12 16:44:16

I wonder if any of us on here with unusual names share the same name?

everlong Sat 22-Dec-12 16:44:35

Oopsy.

BalloonSlayer Sat 22-Dec-12 16:44:57

Round where I live it's not what you'd call "the middle class" parents who give the "contemporary or even preposterous" names.

Narked I have a theory that all - ok then nearly all - professional golfers have, um, odd names. Davis Love III always makes me smirk, I loved Mardy Fish and Sean O'Hair nearly made me wet my pants.

JamieandtheMagiTorch Sat 22-Dec-12 16:45:47

Sleds

I think you put it rather well.

I have an unusual name, as does my sister. It's a complete PITA and once I left home I adopted a shortened version of it as my name. It's still slightly unusual but people seem to cope with it.
My children all have top 100 names.
None of us are boring ;)

SledsImOn Sat 22-Dec-12 16:46:17

Btw I have a child called Peter. It's probably the most common name I could think of, to my mind, and one of the first I ever learned as I was growing up (from the ladybird books) but there are no others in his entire school.

I don't think it has cursed him exactly. And we know a couple more now, smaller than him and that doesn't bother me either. I just really liked it as a name.

RedToothbrush Sat 22-Dec-12 16:47:34

5 people out of 17 had the same name in my A Level art group.

Any Brats of mine will not be subjected to that.

BIL and SIL have named their first one of the top three names of the year. Poor kid. Not that I expected anything less.

Emandlu Sat 22-Dec-12 16:47:38

Wonders if everlong has the same name as me shock

Crouchendmumoftwo Sat 22-Dec-12 16:48:15

Pooholes made me chuckle!

Sled I'm On - interesting Ive never thought of it like that - treading on peoples toes etc. My fathers mother died when I was born so I was given her harsh sounding name instead of a lovely girly traditional name my mother had lined up!

AmberSocks Sat 22-Dec-12 16:48:24

rudy isnt an unusual name btw.

i have a not unusual but not common name and loved it,iwasnt one of 5 lauras,kellys or rachels in my class

My 2 eldest have very popular names and my eldest is one of 2 Maxs in his class,my 2nd is a George and there are loads in his school.At the time when naming then i didnt even consider to check what was popular or not or even care about it,i liked those name and always have,so i used them.

I also have a Tabitha and an Ivor which although are quite classic arent that popular,again i used them because i liked them!

I just think as long as you like the name then go with it!

JamieandtheMagiTorch Sat 22-Dec-12 16:48:48

Peter is very much a name from my era, an thus as exotic now as all those Victorian names were a few years back.

I think names from the 40's to 60's will be the next big thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now