...in thinking a head teacher and staff taking part in a Gangnam YouTube effort is inappropriate at best?

(176 Posts)
QueenieLovesEels Thu 20-Dec-12 08:41:28

Or am I getting crusty?

I just don't understand how you can hold yourself up as a figure respected in the local community and performance a jiggy dance like a kangaroo chucking a lasoo- along with other 'mature' members of staff.

It is a Boys Grammar School and yet female members of staff are jiggying around to 'sexy lady' lyrics.

Purlease. It is in no way cool but more cringe making than David Brent.

Can't link from iPad but it's Boston Grammar School Gangnam.

Maybe I am just a bit of an old fart but I can't help feel standards are at an all time low when you feel the need to debase yourself this much to 'get down wid da kidz'

<And breathe........>

CaHoHoHootz Sat 22-Dec-12 21:17:10

I think it is really funny. If my teachers had done that I would have cringed but I would have laughed.
There is nothing wrong with it at all

Eatenthebiscuit Sat 22-Dec-12 20:54:42

It was in my daughter's nativity play (infant school - age 4-7) with adapted words. Yet they are banned from saying the word Sexy at school. Felt that was sending rather mixed messages - glamorising yet banning it at the same time. So I am sitting on the fence on this one!

80Furr Fri 21-Dec-12 23:00:35

Santa apparently did Gangnam style at my kids infant school Christmas Party today. It was the highlight of their day.

Is Santa a misogynist??

lunabay Fri 21-Dec-12 21:03:48

We (Teachers) did it for Children in Need and the children loved it, and to tell the truth so did the teachers. We did not do any groin thrusting or thigh slapping,so it was family friendly.That kind of things brings the whole school together

zippy539 Fri 21-Dec-12 20:47:47

Sorry but I loved this. I would be extremely chuffed if the teachers at my ds school could be bothered to put something like this together - it shows real humour, humanity and an appreciation of the pupils (given that they are the intended audience).

BillyBollyBrandy Fri 21-Dec-12 20:07:31

The "We got Eton Style" one is good too

BillyBollyBrandy Fri 21-Dec-12 20:02:32

We made our economics teachers do YMCA at our xmas play.

In a singlet and shorts.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 21-Dec-12 20:00:58

maternity Gangnam style

I can't find the Boston school one.

ILikeWhisperingToo Fri 21-Dec-12 18:57:52

Argh - guess what's been in my head since yesterday and skimming this thread?! hmm

RabidCarrot Fri 21-Dec-12 18:46:30

The teachers did this at my DSs school and it is on you tube and I think it is totally funny, lots of money raised for tearfund too

exaltedwombat Fri 21-Dec-12 18:34:59

Ok, Queenie, you've got your publicity for Boston Grammar School Gangnam. Nice one!

Happymum22 Fri 21-Dec-12 01:15:00

head of a very respectable highly academic girls independent school that my DD attends appaently did something to do with gangham style (no idea what DD refuses to show me the video on facebook!)

She is was previously not too good at connecting with the girls and wasn't totally respected. Since this she certainly is.
Like OP said, I didn't choose a highly traditional school, I chose an innovative and effective school. The pupils love for their school is incredible and hence their ambition and motivation.

DalekInAFestiveJumper Thu 20-Dec-12 23:39:07

When I was in school, several of the teachers attempted an assortment of breakdancing moves in an assembly. I do goofy stuff in front of my students too. Sometimes a laugh goes a log way to defusing a stressful classroom situation, particularly post-exams.

WorraLorraTurkey Thu 20-Dec-12 23:02:57

Yes Pickled what do you want? grin

TiaMariaandEggnog Thu 20-Dec-12 23:01:57

have a look at the 'Antrim Grammar Style' one - local school here doing something similar - written and performed byt he pupils, with support of staff and teachers - I think its brilliant! - They learned so much doing it too - choreography, photography, creative writing (lyrics) etc etc - a really fun way of learning

PickledInAPearTree Thu 20-Dec-12 22:58:52

Ooooooo sexy ladeeeeeeez

WorraLorraTurkey Thu 20-Dec-12 22:55:21

It's a hoppity skippety sort of dance Norks

You'll have to Youtube it really grin

FivesGoldNorks Thu 20-Dec-12 22:52:47

Can someone please explain to me what is involved in "doing" gangham style? I don't understand

My mum sent me a xmas email today with m beautiful 4yo DD's face super imposed on gangnam.... She then went into a 'poor me' sulk when I said it was creepy and innaprpriate. YANBU.

Blu Thu 20-Dec-12 21:23:31

1. "writhing"? where?

2. It's nothing to do with wanting to 'relate' to the kids!

3. OP, do your DC respect you? Do you have authority in your home? Have they NEVER seen you dancing, doubtless in a way they consider embarrassing and uncool?

DumSpiroSperHoHoHo Thu 20-Dec-12 21:10:42

Have just watched it now I've put DD to bed - it's bloody brilliant!!! grin

Mr Weaver (I think from the comments - long hair, beard and sandals?) is a total dude - I wish this was our local high school!

FWIW I think a lot of teenagers will have more respect for their teachers after seeing that, as they will realise that they are human beings too.

willowberry Thu 20-Dec-12 21:02:02

YABU Times change, thank goodness. It sounds like this teacher has a good sense of humour and can relate to the kids. If teachers don't have a good relationship with pupils, they have nothing and it's impossible to teach them anything. Why not link your hands infront of yourself and then jig whislt transfereing your weight from one foot to the other, stay on the balls of your feet, that's right, now you're Ganghaming and doesn't it feel good? All those pretentious cares about self image just melt away. Now chase people along the street doing it and you will be freeeee!

WorraLorraTurkey Thu 20-Dec-12 20:55:10

Turps!! grin

I spluttered my last mouthful of Lucozad pink lemonade and it's limited edition sad

AnyoneforTurps Thu 20-Dec-12 20:04:13

Having just watched it on Youtube, I conclude that:

a) Secondary school teachers still look exactly the same as when I were a lass smile

b) Boston grammar school must screen out anyone with a sense of rhythmn when recruiting staff

c) the OP is unbelievably uptight & possibly a member of the taliban.

FelicityWasSanta Thu 20-Dec-12 19:18:16

Actually I still hold with the view that it is a feminist issue that professional women feel the need to dance to a song with the only intelligible lyrics of 'sexy lady' in an environment where they are models for young men.

IMO it would be a feminst issue if proffesional women were prevented from taking an equal part with their male colleagues in a silly dance routine in front of their pupils.

They are role models- it is so very important that our young people realise that you can be successful, authoritarian, clever AND able to laugh at yourself. or else they might turn out like you

And OP we are not berating you for not being a sheep and joining in with the dance, we are berating you for making up reasons to be offended and for refusing to acknowledge the point of view of virtually everyone else on the thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now