...in thinking a head teacher and staff taking part in a Gangnam YouTube effort is inappropriate at best?

(176 Posts)
QueenieLovesEels Thu 20-Dec-12 08:41:28

Or am I getting crusty?

I just don't understand how you can hold yourself up as a figure respected in the local community and performance a jiggy dance like a kangaroo chucking a lasoo- along with other 'mature' members of staff.

It is a Boys Grammar School and yet female members of staff are jiggying around to 'sexy lady' lyrics.

Purlease. It is in no way cool but more cringe making than David Brent.

Can't link from iPad but it's Boston Grammar School Gangnam.

Maybe I am just a bit of an old fart but I can't help feel standards are at an all time low when you feel the need to debase yourself this much to 'get down wid da kidz'

<And breathe........>

showmethetoys Thu 20-Dec-12 09:04:39

What?! You are definitely crusty.

We took our school to the local panto and they did Gangnam Style and the kids LOVED it and all knew the dance and joined in. And in our school the staff do a piss take version of the children's xmas production and they absolutely love that as well!

Lighten up!

GobTheGoblin Thu 20-Dec-12 09:05:22

YABU and an old fart.

Jins Thu 20-Dec-12 09:08:45

female members of staff are jiggying around to 'sexy lady' lyrics.

Watched it now. The female teachers were not being inappropriate in any way.

Sorry OP but you have definitely moved into crusty old fart mode

Chubfuddler Thu 20-Dec-12 09:10:05

PO ALERT

Hardly original but completely harmless. Our teachers always did a review at Christmas with silly skits. Somehow we managed to look them in the eye next day.

At ds's private school (oh the horror) the male teachers all grew movembers and then shaved them off in assembly. The kids thought it was hilarious.

wannaBe Thu 20-Dec-12 09:11:14

are there really people out there who think that kids would lose respect for their teachers because they did Gangnam style? really? Words fail me really - lighten up fgs.

ChocHobNob Thu 20-Dec-12 09:11:50

Teachers have always done this haven't they? I remember my teachers doing some very cringeworthy songs and dances in secondary school. It made us laugh. YABU

Jingleallthejay Thu 20-Dec-12 09:13:36

I just watched it and god they are terrible and i saw no 'sexy ladies' grin

freddiefrog Thu 20-Dec-12 09:14:40

YABU

Some of the most liked and respected teachers at my children's school are the ones who don't take themselves too seriously and are able to joke around with the kids.

Our entire teaching body, including the head, got up and did Gangnam Style at the school disco last week. It was fun and the kids loved it

CecyHall Thu 20-Dec-12 09:15:07

I could almost guarantee that if my school was still how it was when I was there, Gangnam Style would have been the teachers turn at the 6th Form Revue this year but now it's a stupid academy and all the good staff left

Unoriginal, but I wouldn't say inappropriate, a bit of fun.

bakingaddict Thu 20-Dec-12 09:15:13

You are getting crusty.....everybody needs to blow off some steam especially around Christmas time. I'm gutted that in my job I have no opportunity to do anything like this and have to settle for getting pissed on the xmas night out instead

Pagwatch Thu 20-Dec-12 09:16:06

Shhhhhh now everyone!

Poor old OP needs a bit of quiet while she copes with the realisation that she has become a bit po faced. Got to be a shock.

melika Thu 20-Dec-12 09:16:32

I'm with OP, especially in a boys grammar school environment.
This will never happen in my DSs school, ever! Professional to the enth degree. Personally, I would feel uncomfortable watching it as I already think it is a load of shit anyway.

I went to a comp, teachers did not do anything like this.

Jingleflobba Thu 20-Dec-12 09:17:23

Sorry queenie but you are being a touch crusty! The kids would have loved it and wouldn't have lost any respect for the teachers.
YABU

AudrinaWhiteChristmasAdare Thu 20-Dec-12 09:17:24

There is also Eton Style and --if the revolution doesn't com--e those lads will be running the country one day.

AudrinaWhiteChristmasAdare Thu 20-Dec-12 09:18:00

Wow, worst strikeout fail ever...

ShatnersBassoon Thu 20-Dec-12 09:19:50

YABUnreasonably crusty.

Kids love Gangnam Style, they love seeing adults dicking around, they love to laugh at teachers, teachers like making children laugh when the opportunity presents itself.

It was a bit of fun and I bet a lot of people enjoyed themselves. In the olden days, the teachers did The Timewarp to make us laugh at the Christmas party grin.

KenLeeeeeeeInnaSantaHat Thu 20-Dec-12 09:19:52

YABU. Teachers have been doing stuff like this for as long as I can remember, and teenagers find it hilarious. As someone else said, it helps to remind pupils that teachers are human beings and seem more approachable.

When I was in secondary school, we had a scary as hell Science teacher called Mr King. At the Christmas do one year, he dressed up as Elvis and sang Blue Suede Shoes. He was "The King" ever since and came across as much more likeable for it!

Jingleallthejay Thu 20-Dec-12 09:20:09

I'm with OP, especially in a boys grammar school environment.

do you really thing female teachers doing a very non sexy dance is in appropriate do you think it would make the boys have stirrings REALLY not as if they were dancing around to rhianna confused

The teachers did this sort of thing every year in our girls school. Watching men copy Ricky Martin was cringeworthy but gave us more respect for them for showing they were human and could have a laugh. YABU

ChocHobNob Thu 20-Dec-12 09:21:03

Eton Style grin

cantspel Thu 20-Dec-12 09:21:05

I have just watched it and i cant see anything in it that would make me get my knickers in a twist. Just a few teachers having a bit of fun and showing that they are human too.

MoaneyMcmoanmoan Thu 20-Dec-12 09:23:48

YABU.

catgirl1976geesealaying Thu 20-Dec-12 09:23:58

YABU and crusty

A private school near me has done a great version

It's fairly funny

melika Thu 20-Dec-12 09:24:00

Not bothered about women teachers writhing in a boys school it is just crap!

Jins Thu 20-Dec-12 09:25:03

I didn't realise that the DSs school did this sort of thing when we chose it. It was an added bonus. I don't want a professional school, I want a school. Somewhere that has a big population of young people and knows the best way to nuture every aspect of their education.

I've learned that the teachers at secondary school have a far better understanding of teenagers than I do. I have experience of two and they have experience of thousands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now