Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to NOT visit house where all have had Noro Virus?

(40 Posts)
Kitsilano Wed 12-Dec-12 00:37:47

My sister and her family have all had Noro Virus over last 5 days. Her DH was still off work Monday, very ill but has gone back today (Tuesday).

I was due to be visiting with my 2 DDs (7 and 5) on Thursday and staying at her house for the whole afternoon.

Now, we are having a BIG party on Sunday. Lots of planning and money already spent on food and wine etc. I am really looking forward to it. My fear is that their house will potentially be contagious even if they are (just) 48 hours past symptoms.

So I have said I do not want to take the risk and will not visit on Thurs - we will see them all at the party on Sunday. My sister has said she thinks there is no risk in visiting and clearly thinks I am being bonkers and OTT.

Interested - am I being really over cautious? WWYD?

redwellybluewelly Wed 12-Dec-12 15:39:55

I really wouldn't go

NV hangs on for a while, I recently found out my BF sent her DC into nursery less than 48 hours after they had been sick - same nursery mine attends and I was less than impressed.

allthatglittersisnotgold Wed 12-Dec-12 15:28:57

Don't go, it's super contagious. My DP and I visited a family who had had it and within 48hours we were being sick. Nice. I wasn't very impressed as they'd been "over it" for a few days, but clearly hadn't cleaned and washed surfaces/doorhandles etc. I did all mine after we'd recovered and noone who visited after got ill. It's not worth it and, yes you could get it anywhere but I assume after you get off public transport/before eating meals you wash your hands etc... You can't do that in someone elses house/go in with a mask and hand sanitiser.

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Wed 12-Dec-12 09:49:04

We had it last year and it was hell. I never want to have it again. YANBU!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 12-Dec-12 09:14:23

Ds has it today, he's been sick every 15-30 mins since 5am, hoping we don't get it! Yanbu I wouldn't risk it if you'll see them on Sunday anyway.

Pufflemum Wed 12-Dec-12 09:12:01

I wouldn't go and I would even consider uninviting them to your party! We had exactly the same scenario last year and despite being well the friends infected our house and my whole family took turns being ill over Xmas, including relatives who flew over from the USA for a biannual trip- they spent the whole time ill and locked in my spare bedroom. Obviously not the friends fault, but best avoided if at all possible.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 12-Dec-12 09:05:17

I wouldn't risk it!

I've had to go to work on a ward with d&v, if there had been any choice at all I wouldn't have been there! It's horrid waiting and wondering if you are going to get it next!

Norovirus is so unbelievably contagious, it's not worth it!

Goldenjubilee10 Wed 12-Dec-12 09:02:46

The children will likely be playing with toys that your sisters children have just been playing with. No I would stay away!

hatsybatsy Wed 12-Dec-12 09:00:54

YANBU - norovirus is just an awful bug and is contagious for at least a week after the symptoms have stopped.... I definitely wouldn't go.

All those posters saying you should go as you might catch it anywhere - hmm - yes you might but why would you deliberately expose yourselves just days before you are having a party?

TeamBacon Wed 12-Dec-12 08:55:47

Noro infects so quickly.. you can almost see it jumping from person to person, it moves so bloody fast. Much more likely to get it from spending time at someones house, or the office than from a shopping trolley handle or similar IMO.

I curse the bastards who go straight back to work after they've been off with it though.

Kitsilano Wed 12-Dec-12 08:49:26

Thanks everyone. I think starfishmummy sums up quite clearly what my sister thinks. But I find it hard to get my head round deliberately exposing myself and kids to it for an extended period as opposed to getting it by chance.

The fact that we dont know anyone round here who has had it this year and the kids are now off school makes the feel more remote too.

I know we may pick it up out and about but I dont believe we are JUST as likely to as going to her house for the afternoon.

TeamBacon Wed 12-Dec-12 08:47:49

I wouldn't go. When I had norovirus it bloody came back a week later! I had it one weekend, then DS got it and was ill for the week. DP got it as I recovered and then I bloody got it again (I suspect it never really left).

Uggrgrhh wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

OwlLady Wed 12-Dec-12 08:41:50

I wouldn't go either. Even if there are no germs you will covince yourself their house smells of vomit and poo anyway

starfishmummy Wed 12-Dec-12 08:40:06

You are just as likely to pick it up out and about
I suggest you barricade yourselves in the house, go nowhere and see noone.

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Wed 12-Dec-12 08:22:47

No actually I think YANBU. You may get it randomly but I agree there's a lot of potential for it to just be lurking. It's only 3 more days til you see each other; not like the cancellation will mean months before catching up again.

samandi Wed 12-Dec-12 08:19:34

And her DH shouldn't have gone back straightaway either. As another poster said, he could easily infect others.

samandi Wed 12-Dec-12 08:17:51

Not worth it. Could still be contagious.

DoodleHolly Wed 12-Dec-12 08:05:19

I'd not go. You're seeing them soon so it's not as if you're missing a rare opportunity

auldspinster Wed 12-Dec-12 08:00:48

YANBU - I'm recovering from it - was puking on Saturday, runs on Sunday and still feel a bit bilious today. It's horrendous, not what you want this close to Christmas.

pigletmania Wed 12-Dec-12 07:47:33

No don't visit, I would not

OddBoots Wed 12-Dec-12 07:43:19

I'm very laid back about these things but 2 weeks before Christmas with a party coming up and it being norovirus which can hang around for ages I wouldn't be going and if I were your sister I would have been the one suggesting you don't come.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Wed 12-Dec-12 07:42:27

I wouldn't go either. Why risk it?

valiumredhead Wed 12-Dec-12 07:40:35

No way!

lightrain Wed 12-Dec-12 06:44:44

Very contagious in people! Don't go.

insanityscratching Wed 12-Dec-12 06:31:21

I wouldn't visit either. We had Norovirus here a couple of years ago and it was horrific, I wouldn't risk getting it again.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 12-Dec-12 06:30:27

ARGH! Better safe THAN sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now