Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aaaarrgghhh! I DON'T LIKE PINK!

(128 Posts)
Yamyoid Mon 10-Dec-12 11:03:57

Aibu? Mil keeps buying stuff for dd, and it's all pink. I don't want to be ungrateful, and some of the clothes have been lovely, but she is an intelligent, liberal minded woman so what's with the pink obsession? I feel it's now a bit late to say, please stop buying pink stuff (this includes bedroom accessories). But the prospect of 10 more years of pink is depressing.

lljkk Mon 10-Dec-12 11:36:15

One day your precious little girl will refuse to wear anything but BLACK. Including lots of it painted on her face. You'll then look back on the pink days with nostalgia, mark my words.

WorraLorraTurkey Mon 10-Dec-12 11:36:38

Bloody hell are people really that precious and fussy over the colour of their baby's clothes?

They keep them warm and dry that's all.

It's not a fashion parade and the gift givers can't be expected to read the minds of fussy people.

LDNmummy Mon 10-Dec-12 11:38:18

Can you blend it in with other colours?

My MIL is like this but I just either hide the item in the back of DD's things or mix and match it to tone it down.

Its not so much that the stuff is just pink for me, it is also how 'fru fru' it is too.

MrsWolowitz Mon 10-Dec-12 11:38:46

grin TheCraic

DH loves it too! He's always pinching it to take to work leaving me with his crappy car! Some idiot shouting "fucking gay" at him once when he pulled into a carpark. DH just made this ----> hmm face, he couldn't give a tiny rats buttock if someone thought he was gay or not.

<digresses>

valiumredhead Mon 10-Dec-12 11:38:54

I was just really grateful when people gave me anything for my baby regardless of colour!

WorraLorraTurkey Mon 10-Dec-12 11:40:55

Exactly valium, some parents don't get the pleasure of worrying about such trivial issues when they're walking round a charity shop with their last few pounds.

Jins Mon 10-Dec-12 11:41:49

With DS1 I was swamped with outfits that had been gifts. By 7 months I was desperate to dress him in something I'd chosen myself. So yes, people can be precious and fussy about what they dress their children in.

With DS2 however if it was clean and it fitted it was worn grin

BlackBagFestiveBorderBinLiner Mon 10-Dec-12 11:48:48

I found the lack of colour choice depressing. It's often a really bad choice for some complexions making the kids look washed out /dull.

1. Have a washing 'accident' with some dylon - point out how lovely and sparkly their pfb grandchild looks in electric blue.

2. Buy some cords, jacket etc in a very strong colour eg dark brown which will tone and over power the pastel nature of the gifts.

3. Bin anything you really don't like, once your over the initial guilt you'll feel better for not seeing it.

4. return/exchange stuff because it 'does n't fit, DD lokked uncomfrtable, been designered by someone whose never dressed a baby - that you Myclean Arse

5madthings Mon 10-Dec-12 11:52:01

Rather than you dont like pink why dont you say you bought her an outfut that is insert colour of your choice and it looks so lovely and compliments dd's colouring etc that you would love it if she had more clothes that colour and as mil is so good at buying lovely clothes could she keep an eye out for snything that colour?

And if you dont want her room to be pink.pick a colour/theme you do like and again enlist mil in 'helping' you to find stuff. Show her a fee bits you like and enlist her help to find more?

Just tactfully eithout ecplicitly saying no pink guide her towards your prefernce but by involving her she can feel appreciated and like she is helping you?

I dont likd pink eithef, my dd has some but not loads ans thankfully my mil knows my taste and she also likes bright colours and similar style to stuff that i do.

WorraLorraTurkey Mon 10-Dec-12 11:53:26

What does your DH think about it OP?

ethelb Mon 10-Dec-12 11:53:34

Honestly? I think this could just be to do with the fact that stuff when she was a mum was quite drab for girls tbh.

Yes it was less pink, which was nice, but 80s/90s childrens clothes were very, very boring compared to what you can buy now. Maybe she finds it exciting?

5madthings Mon 10-Dec-12 11:54:05

And yes blend it in. My dd has a lovy biden.pinafore that is blue with mushrooms on it, a few of thd mushrooms ars pink so i put her in thd dress with a pink long sleeved top and tights. It compliments thd dress but doesnt shout PINK at you smile

Narked Mon 10-Dec-12 12:00:45

It's not 'just clothes' when she's buying things for the nursery.

CaseyShraeger Mon 10-Dec-12 12:04:29

It's not about a gift of pink clothing, though. The OP's MIL sounds like mine in that presented with a first grandchild/first granddaughter she almost-compulsively buys stuff to the point where it would actually be wasteful to buy your own child any more clothes. And so if everything the MIL has bought is in one colour and it's a colour you hate then your child spends 100% of her time wearing things you really dislike (fortunately my own MIL wasn't pink-obsessed).

Pale pink will dye really well, though, OP. And even bright pink would probably dye to purple, red or black quite effectively. And other pink stuff will work well mixed with other colours.

ICBINEG Mon 10-Dec-12 12:05:53

If pink is just a colour and clothes for babies are just about keeping them warm and dry then why the hell do you hardly EVER see male babies wearing pink?

All those of you shouting non-issue need to supply evidence in the form of photos of your male DC's wearing pink!

Come on lets see it!

LDNmummy Mon 10-Dec-12 12:08:24

ICBINEG I agree, lets see the evidence grin

ICBINEG Mon 10-Dec-12 12:12:42

Dear MNHQ, I would like to propose some new MN legislation:

If you have had a male child and cannot supply photo graphic evidence of them dressed head to toe in pink on a regular basis then you are not allowed to to say "pink is just another colour" or "no-one cares what colour babies wear" or this is a "non-issue".

By LAW.

TheCraicDealer Mon 10-Dec-12 12:13:48

I think this evidence will be more forthcoming when we pink defenders see evidence of haters' kids of both genders wearing gender neutral clothing at all times.

Seriously, if you really don't like the stuff graciously accept it and pass it on to a charity shop of your choice so that someone else might use it. OR have the guts to tell your MIL that, actually, you just don't like pink all that much. Don't try and turn it into some massive ishoo when it seems like your biggest problem is your DD having a granny who loves buying her things.

catkind Mon 10-Dec-12 12:13:51

We made our position on pink quite clear pre birth, and haven't done too badly thankfully. I know it's entirely unreasonable of me, but it's not "her" in my head, and she just looks wrong in it. I'm sure she'll rebel in due course and insist on pink sparkles, but in the meantime I still get to choose what she wears. So yeah, the waste would upset me. I'm afraid I'd ebay or pass on to a friend who does like pink. I'm lucky I can afford to be picky as she can always wear big brother's old clothes. His favourite top is pink tho, can't get away from it.

autumnmum Mon 10-Dec-12 12:15:18

ICBINEG you have made my day grin and I second your rule!

weegiemum Mon 10-Dec-12 12:18:55

Both my girls (oh and my ds, as a hand-me-down!) wear the t-shirts that say "I Think Pink Stinks" from www.pinkstinks.co.uk. I've got the "I'm no Princess" one!

Glittery shimmery purple is good enough for dd2!

MsElleTow Mon 10-Dec-12 12:19:33

I don't understand why people get het up about the colour of babies clothes. My DC are boys, when they were babies anything bought for them, especially DS1, was blue! Did I care? No, not a jot! It was clothes, they fitted, they were warm, kept him covered and dry and I was grateful because I didn't have to buy them.

When DNiece was born she was dressed mostly in pink, perhaps a little bit of lilac! My sister was grateful, she was skint so didn't complain!

My boys have worn pink, not so much no as it is not really in fashion for men and they are 16&18 so I can't force them to wear it! I like pink, I have a lot of pink. I am an intelligent, liberal minded woman too!

ICBINEG Mon 10-Dec-12 12:24:49

craic wtf?? Us non-stereotyping parents don't dress our kids in gender neutral colours we dress them in ALL colours.

I can supply you with pictures of my DD in everything from pink, purple with butterflies, red, blue with spiders on, green with monsters on, brown with a tractor on etc etc.

Do you get it now?

ICBINEG Mon 10-Dec-12 12:26:47

The only rule is don't put anything on them that you wouldn't have dressed a boy in. And true to this, DD has no high heels or bras and the only dresses she has are from others and never get worn (dresses aren't actually that practical for toddlers...)

JenFrankincenseAndMyrrh Mon 10-Dec-12 12:27:17

I find it so hard buying clothes for DD. Boys have much more choice. You look at the boy section and there is a variety of colours. Go to the girl section and it is pink, pink, pink, pink etc. I think pink is an awful colour but I have been given lots of pink clothes. I am grateful that people have given gifts and don't refuse to put them on DD but just wish that girls could have more choice. I like purple, green, red, yellow etc for girls but it is so hard to find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now