Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask my children's pre-school not to let them play outside

(189 Posts)
AitchDee Sat 01-Dec-12 12:44:34

My twins attend a local preschool for three mornings a week. Since they started I have had issues with them arriving home at lunch time with soaking wet sleeves and trousers where they have done outside water play, and hands that are red raw from being cold and wet.

On Thursday upon dropping them off, we were told not to take coats/hats/gloves off as they were going o play in the school field next door. I raised my eyebrows at the time as it really was a very cold, frosty morning.

A hour later I got a phone call to say my twins needed collecting as one was very poorly and falling asleep/eyes rolling in his head, and the other 'had come out in sympathy' and was crying hysterically.

I collected them and brought them home, but I think they we're just utterly freezing. They were absolutely fine the rest of the day. All the other children were playing happily back in the warm so it was only mine.

I'm not sure if I am just being precious. They do love playing outside, even in freezing cold water and wet sand, no matter the weather, but I think their bodies use find it a bit much. They were born very early, and only weighed 1lb 3oz at birth but to look at them now they have caught up.

Would I look a twat asking preschool to keep them indoors until spring? Maybe my twins just need a bit of toughening up? They will be three in January if that makes a difference.

lilyxu Mon 28-Oct-13 07:18:30

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mssuzeb Mon 11-Mar-13 22:33:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LynetteScavo England Sun 02-Dec-12 19:34:30

Yes, small DC should have access to outdoors in all weathers, but they should have apropriate clothing. - Hat, gloves, roll neck, snow boots or thick socks and wellies.

They should also be allowed to come indoors if they want to. Children who are obviously becoming cold should be brought inside, even if they are engrossed in the sand. And when they are warm, allowed to go out again.

Yes, it's a pain for their carers, but it's what's best for the DC.

I saw a child (and his mother) in the supermarket appropriately dressed for the weather today. I thought "I bet he's Eastern European". When I walked past him and his mother, I think they were speaking Russian to each other. We Brits have a lot to learn.

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:33:07

I agree in general for nursery age children, but the OPs children WHERE happy which is the key.

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:31:52

Yeah ano that I mean overall any child that is not happy outdoors shudnt be kept outside!!sad

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:30:13

But the children in the OP don't really have any needs which mean they can't play outside so that is different to your DD.

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:27:39

Like I said I don't like to 'drip feed' because I don't like ( unless asking for advice) to talk about her issues! I was just trying to say that whatever the
Child's needs ( non or severe) OP should be able to resolve something with he staff, if she REALLY wants dc to stay in then they have to come o a
Compromise

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:24:23

Sounds like you have things well planned then, and your last post suggests a much more sensible approach than some of your earlier ones. I am sure you will find the best way for her.

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:19:00

fairy egg they are well aware of her needs, Infact she has more needs now since we spoke to them

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:18:00

Sirzy we have sort of 'adapted' in a way so that she doesn't miss out much, but does things a different way! We a re pretty used to it now. And I'm
Not sure we meet again to discuss and have her assessed in march we will see everyone who will be directly involved with her including first aided and support workers. Things have been discussed wih her doctors already! They are
Writting to the school nursery etc so everyone is well aware of the plan. It's hard to have to stop a child doing something but wud be done from
Dd's cue, If she is too ill one day then she'll have to stay indoors! But its something I wouldn't think about Twice!!

Fairyegg Sun 02-Dec-12 19:12:01

And are the nursery aware that she basically needs 1:1 suport but doesn't have the funding? Can you not let her attend nursery for the right amount of time so that she can apply for the 1:1? Certainly in ds nursery class there were 1:1 s for 2 children with what I would call 'severe needs'.

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:11:41

Which is why I said to talk to the consultant. I discussed at length the best way to work things at nursery for DS to stop his problems holding him back whilst also not making him ill.

It must be a horrible situation for you which is why you need to work with the hospital and the nursery to ensure the provision is the best for your DD without her being left out too much.

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:09:36

And tbh if I had posted everything in one go a) I would be disclosing more than I feel comfortable with and b) it would be a bloody life story and everyone would
Be
Moaning!grin

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:08:26

I'm no drip feeding! But when people have a go saying I'm stopping my dd doing things for no reason, I obviously hero give reasons why?????

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:06:59

This takes drip feeding to the extremes.

Most peoples comments initally where about your comment of wanting even a healthy child to stay in.

If you feel that your child needs to be in like I said you need to talk it through with the consultants and take it from there.

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:04:50

Ok so let's put into perspective from your point of view . Yes I can understand that a healthy child by playing out because of the cold Is a bit daft........ But with heath problems here we go..... This summer the heat ( which wasn't even t hat hot) forced dd to be
On oxygen everyday for nearly 2 months!! Now at he age of 3 there is no way she will be able to
Carry an oxygen cylinder around on her and if there is no available staff outside what is she supposed to do?winter causes
Much more problems for her. Her condition is so rare doctors learn from her! Thy tell us to follow her lead what she cannt cope with we shudnt force! Wen dd starts nursery he won't be attending for the amount of time that is the minimum elidgabilty for 1:1 so what can she do??? I will be hiring a nurse for her if need be!

forevergreek Sun 02-Dec-12 19:04:48

You might have to homemschool.. Nice and warm

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 18:59:11

Because every one of your posts has basically implied that you don't want your daughter playing out in the cold, and you have even said that even if she didn't have health problems you would feel the same.

As the parent of a child who has a lot of health problems (over 20 admissions in less than 3 years) I know its hard but you also have to be realistic about things which is why I suggested talking to her consultant sensibly about it. Don't make such a decision without it being on medical advice as all it will do is make her feel she is missing out even more because mummy says she can't play in the snow with her friends or whatever else they are doing when she has to sit inside alone.

dikkertjedap Sun 02-Dec-12 18:58:40

Clearly a lot of posters have problems reading.

At many UK schools kids stay our virtually all morning whatever the weather. That is quite a different proposition to going to work/school and going home again. Being out all morning can imply being out from about 9.00h (eg after register) until 13.00h (lunch time). If you are out for four hours you get plenty of chance to chill to the bone.

Fairyegg Sun 02-Dec-12 18:58:01

My ds school is linked to the local special needs school, there is a unit within the school as well so there are kids there with all sorts of disabilities, many very severe (cp, cf, downs syndrome etc) The point stands that unless you manage to secure the 1:1 funding additional staff will not be given to your dd. the staff may not look busy to you, but I bet they are. I really hope you get the 1:1 if you feel your dd needs it. Otherwise I don't think you would have any choice but to keep her at home, or let her play outside, if the weather is 'bad'.

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 18:56:50

Whys that sirzy?

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 18:56:23

It isn't anything to do with germs!! Yes they are a big problem for her but I'm not putting her in a plastic bubble!!

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 18:56:19

Well what you are saying and what you are writing are two very different things obviously!

piglettsmummy Sun 02-Dec-12 18:55:30

I'm not some freak blabbering on! I am aware wat I'm saying!!

Sirzy Sun 02-Dec-12 18:54:45

If you really think your DD will need to be inside over winter then you need to talk to her consultant and see what he thinks, if he agrees then get them to write to the nursery.

However, it is well worth bearing in mind that germs are going to be spread a lot more couped up in a centrally heated building than they will outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now