Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to leave my baby for 2 nights?

(64 Posts)
lilypaige Sat 01-Dec-12 02:49:12

Hi all
I have a 7 month old dd who is my world. Ive been asked on a hen weekend which would mean leaving my dd from friday teatime until sunday morning, with my mum who dd is very close to. What do people think about this? Part of me is really wanting to go as im a single mum, im with my daughter 24/7 so would be nice to have a break. The other part of me is thinking iv never been away from daughter that long and how would I cope?! Thanks for any replies x

Pudgy2011 Sat 08-Dec-12 03:18:18

I live in the Caribbean and headed up to Miami for a 4 day weekend when DS was 5 months - left him with DH and they had a lovely time bonding.

The weekend was absolutely brilliant - I was still nursing so expressed when I needed to but being able to sleep, shop, party, dance on tables in clubs and generally have a ripper of a time was wonderful. Reminded me that I might be a mum, but I haven't lost my ability to have a good time and let my hair down.

Go, enjoy and feel better for the time you have for yourself. It's very much worth it!

mummysbigsmiles Sat 08-Dec-12 01:35:32

I think lovebunny's reply is wrong!! Its nit every bloody weekend and clearly no her social life isn't more important because if it was i doubt she would even be worrying about leaving her baby! Get a grip!

Pandemoniaa Mon 03-Dec-12 14:15:00

Go - and have a lovely time! I'm sure you will miss her but also, it's really important to have some time to be yourself - nobody ever got a medal for Martyrdom In the Name of Motherhood - and it'll also be nice for your dm to have some time with her dgd. Win all round, I reckon!

AmberSocks Mon 03-Dec-12 13:02:17

as long as you know she will be looked after ok and wont miond being away from you that long then go,i dont think i would do a while weekend at that age but everyones different,do what you feel comfortable with.

mummysbigsmiles Mon 03-Dec-12 12:58:54

It is good for her, it will end up when you really need her looked after she will be screaming because she isn't used to it.

littlewhitebag Sat 01-Dec-12 17:47:57

Oh my word - everyone needs a social life!! Getting a break will do you and your DD the world of good and she will have fun bonding with her grandmother. Go go go!

BegoniaBampot Sat 01-Dec-12 16:03:20

I would have struggled as my first was crap through the night, very lively and still BF and I would have worried that overnights, especially 2 nights would have been too much for GP's to cope with. Depends if you think your mum an cope fine and maybe your baby is a settled sleeper.

MarjorieAntrobusSantabus Sat 01-Dec-12 15:46:43

Right, Lily, be objective about this. Efffy above has just said "don't feel any guilt whatsoever". She is right. Seriously do not feel guilty. Your DD will be in safe hands. You will have a break.

Go go go!!

efffy Sat 01-Dec-12 13:43:42

Go and have a wonderful time.
I am just about to leave 5mo dd for a night. Don't feel any guilt whatsoever, she'll be with her doting gps. Go and enjoy. grin

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sat 01-Dec-12 13:16:01

Good. Have a lovely time.

lilypaige Sat 01-Dec-12 12:09:35

Thankyou all for the positive replies! Its the guilt thats stopping me but as many as you mentioned she will love being spoilt rotten by grandma! Im going to go and enjoy myself :-) dd will probably have a better time than me haha

LaQueen Sat 01-Dec-12 10:53:43

We've left the DDs overnight with GPs, from them being little babies and would have 3-4 weekends away a year.

Both GMs utterly doted on them and spoilt them rotten - their Auntie's and Uncles took them swimming, to the beach, to the zoo - one Aunty & Uncle had a full size drum kit and a puppy FGS (how could we compete with that)...the DDs used to be desperate to go and stay with them grin

When the DDs were 3 & 4, we left for 5 days to go to New York and stay with our best friends. We missed them, but had an amazing time - the DDs had an amazing time being waited on hand&foot by the GMs (in a totally devoted/indulgent way that Mummy and Daddy don't always).

When they were 5 & 6, we left them for a week to go to Cornwall with a group of friends. Again, the DDs had lots of fun trips with relatives, stayed up late and probably ate too much chocolate...so they had a great time too smile

Their family have so much love to give them too, and can provide them with different outlooks and experiences...it's always a Win/Win smile

MakeItALarge Sat 01-Dec-12 10:48:06

I left ds for a weekend abroad when he was 7months, the guilt I felt getting on the plane was awful but I had an amazing time, and my ds had a lovely time with his dad and grandparents. I expressed while I was away and carried on bf when I got back with no problems

Youre a mum not a martyr, go and have fun!

I have a 7 month old and I would definitely do this!

I would also find it very difficult because I am always around him! Irrational guilt and all that... This just shows how important it is that you really should go.

It'll be great for everyone. If you're bf- ing there may be a few expressing issues - take a pump so you don't leak all over that gorgeous dress - but other than that GO!!!!

Cbh1978 Sat 01-Dec-12 10:29:55

Go. Left 11mth old for two nights as doing a Masters that requires weekend studies. He came with me on two weekends as I was breastfeeding but he chose to stop, which was handy in a way for that weekend!
He wasn't bothered I was gone and wasn't that fussed when I came back!
We often remark how amazing single mums are. Go!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sat 01-Dec-12 10:26:50

YANBU.

As long as you don't leave her on her own, obviously ;)

bedmonster Sat 01-Dec-12 10:21:58

GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!!! If you trust your mum and think she will be able to cope, I say definitely!
But then I've always had a good social life before having my dc, and that hasn't stopped.
I left the 3 Dc earlier this Dp while I swanned around Rome with friends. Youngest dc was 7 months. Everyone had a lovely time, and I didn't miss baby ds half as much as people thought I would, only phoned once in 3 days!!
I think its important to still be a person in your own right, aswell as being mum.

Actually I feel that some form of me time and social interaction beyond your DC's is really important. I don't mean leaving them every night of the week or a fortnight's holiday away from them, just maybe half an hour now and again for a coffee on your own or an evening class once a week. TIme to recharge your batteries and interact with other adults makes you a better parent IMVHO.

Pilgit Sat 01-Dec-12 10:13:24

I did this when DD was about 8-10 weeks old. It was FAB. Missed her like crazy but loved getting the full nights sleep and catching up with lots of girly mates. I was officially the boring mummy who wouldn't/couldn't stop talking about her but my friends all humoured me! I'm with LaQueen as well - enabling such lovely relationships with Grandparents from such a young age is only a positive thing for both the DC's and the DGPs! Go, have a great time and don't have any regrets about it.

toomanydaisies Sat 01-Dec-12 10:12:51

Try it for 1 night and see how you cope. If your dd has a strong bond with your Mum then she'll be ok for a short separation (1 or 2 nights). Have fun!

lola88 Sat 01-Dec-12 10:05:52

I would def go i'm sure your mum is more than capible to caring for your child or you wouldn't think about leaving her and you DD will love being spoiled rotten for the weekend.

showmethetoys Sat 01-Dec-12 10:04:00

I think it was lovebunny who wasnt allowed the push her own grandchild around in it's pram, because her daughter doesn't want anyone to push it apart from herself. So I think major issues have been passed down in her family anyway.

Everything that laqueen said. Go. And enjoy it!

Boringbitch Sat 01-Dec-12 09:56:47

Do it!
Your dd will be looked after and you can have a break and a weekend away.
Have a great time (if you go).

Arthurfowlersallotment Sat 01-Dec-12 09:43:36

Go, and don't feel bad.
I have a 7mo DD so I understand you'll find it difficult.
Think of the rest you'll have.. And when you're back on Sunday you'll be so excited to see your DD.

I can't do any overnighters yet as mine is still bf and wakes at 4 for a feed, but I'm looking forward to the time when I can. Enjoy yourself.

I fucked off to Dubai for a few days when my dd was 8 months. Left her with grandparents.

I had a lovely tan, as I could lie by the pool as long as I liked!

Go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now