Man in the shop put more then I paid on my key metre - do I own up?

(65 Posts)
ThePlEWhoLovedMe Thu 29-Nov-12 22:36:56

Went to shop to top up gas key metre. When I got home i discovered he had put on double what I gave him in a mistake. Do I stay anything ? AIBU to not say anything ?

TheWheelies Fri 30-Nov-12 18:03:46

I'd 'fess up. Seems dishonest not to.

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Fri 30-Nov-12 17:48:54

On the way home from work tonight I went to the shop and re paid the over payment. I just couldn't take something that wasn't mine <even though I guess I was tempted - and if it was less money I probably would have>

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Fri 30-Nov-12 17:44:44

I wouldn't be going back to the shop. Keep it. Unless you can easily afford to repay it.
I'm a bit like Morloth, my morality is a bit of a moveable feast.

wonderingsoul Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:02

i am on a meter... and wouldnt be able to pay them back. and they cant take it off the key.
if i did go back i'd tell them i'll pay you a fiver a week. it was their mistkae after all they cant sue you and cant demand you pay them money back at all if you dont have it can they?

defineme Fri 30-Nov-12 17:36:02

I would have to-£10 and I'd say stuff it unless it was a struggling family business, but £100 is a lot of money and you don't sound like you're on a meter because you're struggling.
It would feel like £100 worth of theft to me.
However, if you can't afford to give it back now go in and explain and say you'll give it back in 2 months?
It was the shop's fault though so I would argue that you're not being that immoral.

wonderingsoul Fri 30-Nov-12 17:27:39

yes i think it does but i cant see how he messed up 100 with 200.. unless he put it through.. thought it didnt work then put through again?

i k inda agree with their morals..

"check you change at the till as any mistakes can not be rectivied later"
it was his fault. i doubt he'd get fired for it.. unless he has form for messing up. wether you gave the money back or not is irelevient i think as he still messed up, so if he gets fired it wont be just down to this.

i dont know. tbh i would prob keep it.

and not top up there again.

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Fri 30-Nov-12 17:14:53

Sorry have been at work all day I have not had the chance to respond...

I didnt mention the amount i put on the card and by default the amount he mistakenly put on ... as I wasn't sure it makes a difference but I think from some of your answers that perhaps it does ...

I inherited the key meter from the last tenant and found I kinda liked not getting bills so have kept it ... I put on £100 to last me two months or so ... so the mistake by the shop guy was actually £100

Does this make a difference to anyone ?

I've had this happen before and always top up in the same shop, I've a feeling a particular assistant does it on purpose. Stick it in your meter and turn the heating up and enjoy, I would!

WelshMaenad Fri 30-Nov-12 11:22:07

I would have to own up.

Do people really think it will be the 'robbing energy companies' paying the excess? No, it will be the shop. I know that our little corner shop is barely scraping by in the recession. It might not come out of the shop worker's pocket but if its an independent shop it will sure as hell come out of the owner's. It's stealing and it's not fair.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Fri 30-Nov-12 11:18:30

This happened to me before.

I didn't come clean. It was fine nothing happened and the guys in the corner shop never said a thing about, they wouldnt have known or remembered I wouldnt have thought.

Just leave it.

FushiaFernica Fri 30-Nov-12 11:10:49

Paying on a meter means you are paying over the odds therefore I would keep it, but top up at a different shop from now on.

WandaDoff Fri 30-Nov-12 11:00:53

Keep it. I would.

IsItMyArseOrMyElbow Fri 30-Nov-12 10:57:19

My morals would be telling me to go back and own up, HOWEVER, I'd probably ignore the bloody things and keep it (but top up at a different shop from now on).

orangepudding Fri 30-Nov-12 10:51:35

I too would keep it.

roundtable Fri 30-Nov-12 10:45:26

Maybe this is op's 'karma'?

Normally I'm all for telling the truth but considering energy companies are robbing us blind and getting away with it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'm sure they don't.

DeltaUniformDeltaEcho Fri 30-Nov-12 10:37:39

I'd keep it!

Iggly Fri 30-Nov-12 09:50:32

Keep it.

Would the fuckers tell you if you overpaid?

Unlikely.

HaudYerWheeshtFannyBaws Fri 30-Nov-12 09:49:43

I wouldn't say anything and would keep it. The assistant won't get his wages docked. It's not allowed.

I have had this happen and I gave them the extra back. It's a small family owned shop and it would come directly out of their profits. I'd need to put the extra on the following week anyway, so I just saw it as buying it all at once. Took the tenner back in the next day and explained - no way I was going straight back out to do it. If it were co op or something I probably wouldn't bother, but as it was such a small shop it seemed really mean to leave them to pay for my gas.

goralka Fri 30-Nov-12 09:14:25

you are already paying over the odds for your gas with a key meter, say nothing.

PickledInAPearTree Fri 30-Nov-12 09:11:12

Bloody hell when I worked in a shop I was forever doing stuff like this and I never ever got wages docked.

What if they hadn't noticed the mistake? Op is then going in and making a fuss a d getting someone into bother for no reason.

Energy companies are thieving bastards anyway, keep it. The shop assistant will not be sacked, there are allowances for human error.

reddaisy Fri 30-Nov-12 08:49:33

Keep it.

valiumredhead Fri 30-Nov-12 08:40:09

No.

Even if they do have op on cctv Dawson she didn't do anything wrong, it wasn't her mistake, tbh I wouldn't have noticed unless it was a very large amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now