Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Man in the shop put more then I paid on my key metre - do I own up?

(65 Posts)
ThePlEWhoLovedMe Thu 29-Nov-12 22:36:56

Went to shop to top up gas key metre. When I got home i discovered he had put on double what I gave him in a mistake. Do I stay anything ? AIBU to not say anything ?

SilveryMoon Thu 29-Nov-12 22:38:17

I wouldn't say anything. That might be really bad, but I wouldn't.

LivvyPsMum Thu 29-Nov-12 22:40:59

I wouldn't say anything. Its a trail out to the shop again and its cold out!

MrsMushroom Thu 29-Nov-12 22:41:18

Say nowt.

McChristmasPants2012 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:42:33

I would because it will come out of his wages

Wallison Thu 29-Nov-12 22:44:31

No it won't. It's illegal to dock someone's wages if the till is short.

Say nothing. It's like a little early Xmas present. I'm sure you've lost money in other transactions throughout your life one way or another. It all evens out.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Thu 29-Nov-12 22:44:59

Maybe he was 'paying it forward' so to speak- his good deed for the day. Consider it a gift and use it well.
smile

kc77 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:46:48

same (sort of) happened to me, very bored/couldn't be arsed shop assistant told me that machine wasn't working (after keeping me waiting for ages whilst watching a TV above my head), gave me the key back and advised me to go elsewhere, upon returning home, i discovered that machine must have been working as there was £20 on the key....i never went back to that shop...

redandwhitesprinkles Thu 29-Nov-12 22:47:41

Depends, do you have to top up at the same shop again? When the till is short they will compare to their 'top up meter' surely?

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 29-Nov-12 22:49:55

Say nothing and look on it as a gift.

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Thu 29-Nov-12 22:50:01

Half of me is worried that it is just wrong to say nothing and the other half thinks there is some way he could trace it back to me and I could get in trouble !!

SoleSource Thu 29-Nov-12 22:50:52

Forget it.

McChristmasPants2012 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:51:43

careerplanning.about.com/od/workplacesurvival/a/mistake_at_work.htm

Present Your Boss With a Plan To Fix Your Mistake: When you go to your boss to confess your mistake, you must have a plan for correcting it. Present your plan clearly. Tell your how long it will take to implement your plan and if there are any costs involved.

In this case the only way to fix the problem would be to put the money back into the till

VoterColonelSebastianDoyle Thu 29-Nov-12 22:53:18

Nope.

beansmum Thu 29-Nov-12 22:54:57

What?! Of course you say something! Even if it won't come out of anyone's wages.

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 22:56:13

you never noticed you didnt see a thing and put it in your meter it is bloody freezing, that assistant wont get into trouble for it I don't think

My mum works in a shop and if something happens with the metre top up machine it is a PITA to put it right you are doing the guy a favour wink

maddening Thu 29-Nov-12 22:56:19

I thought in any cash transaction there was a usual policy of mistakes can not be rectified later - e.g. always check your change as once you leave the till the transaction is over and that it worked both ways.

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 22:57:17

meter*

Wallison Thu 29-Nov-12 22:58:03

Regardless, McChristmas, it's illegal to dock someone's wages because of a short till.

Key meters are a rip-off anyway. You're already paying over the odds and subsidising energy costs for people on direct debit deals. Fuck'em.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 29-Nov-12 22:59:33

McChristmas that sounded american, american law is very different to uk.

Yes . Karma is a bitch that's why smile honesty pays.

Wallison Thu 29-Nov-12 23:04:10

There's no such thing as karma. There is however such a thing as being ripped off for energy costs through paying for it via a key meter, and if somehow you get a little bit extra while in that position then all speed to you.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 29-Nov-12 23:06:05

I agree, karma is bullshit. Look at the people running our country wonder where the fuck their karma is.

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 23:07:22

years ago I once got an extra power card (electric) i bought 4 and got 1 free i thought it was bloody christmas come early grin

Mrsjay Thu 29-Nov-12 23:07:57

op put it in your meter before you drive your self up the wall and bang your heating up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now