To not want to try my breast milk???

(63 Posts)
ItsNovemberFFS Sun 25-Nov-12 21:31:22

FFS.

A couple of my friends are surprised that I haven't tried it. Why the hell would I want to?

MissVerinder Sun 25-Nov-12 21:45:12

I tried mine, but YANBU if you don't want to try yours.

DH had a few mouthfuls as well. Bit unexpected though grin poor thing.

bondigidum Sun 25-Nov-12 21:45:39

I don't drink cows milk now, only soya but even that I can't glug down a glass of. Just never been a big milk fan, can only have it if its in a cuppa or on cereal.

I tried bm and it was just incredibly sickly sweet. Much like all other milk, I could never drink a full big glass. Formula is rancid, it doesn't even taste of milk.. its just gross and it stinks as well.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 25-Nov-12 21:46:30

I didn't, for the same reason as ItsNovember. Plus I don't really like milk. And it would be warm.

squeakytoy Sun 25-Nov-12 21:48:21

A genuine question here. Does formula taste as sweet?

It would make me think that for all the mothers on here who are forever ranting about how their babies and toddlers are never given sugar or anything sweet so as not to let them develop a liking for sugar, they have already got that liking from the breast milk.

I have never had a sweet tooth, dont like anything very sweet and never have, even as a kid I preferred eating a tomato to eating really sugary things, and I was 100% formula fed from day 1.

EricNorthmanIsMyMaker Sun 25-Nov-12 21:49:48

I haven't. And don't really fancy it. But like some of you I don't like milk unless its in tea & only have soya on cereal.

EasilyBored Sun 25-Nov-12 21:49:50

I can't stand warm milk. I tried a drop, just out of curiosity, and it's fine, just sweet. But I couldn't have drunk a big swig of it unless it had been in the fridge.

oddslippers Sun 25-Nov-12 21:50:51

I remember it tasting exactly like the milk from a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. Yanbu for not wanting to try though I was just curious smile

MissVerinder Sun 25-Nov-12 21:51:02

IMHO squeaky, it's gross, but quite sweet, not as sweet as breast milk though, I think.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 25-Nov-12 21:54:11

Squeaky Formula tastes rank. It doesn't taste anything like BM.

squeakytoy Sun 25-Nov-12 21:55:40

Leading on from that question then, does the amount of sugar that the mother eats, affect the level of sugar in the milk?

My son has a very sweet tooth & was FF from a few weeks old.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Sun 25-Nov-12 21:57:27

I've never tried mine. I once had the urge to squirt some in a childless friend's coffee, though, when I'd been awake for about 48 hours straight with newborn DD and she had the audacity to complain about how tired she was.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 25-Nov-12 21:57:30

I don't eat much sugar and mines tastes just like liquid sugar.

I also don't have much of a sweet tooth, never have and was %100 FF.

NeedabreaknotabloodyKitKat Sun 25-Nov-12 22:03:11

Im really surprised how few people tried it by accident. Express, heat, test temperature on arm, lick to catch drip... Must've dine that a hundred times!
I often though the no sugar rules are a but daft too, it's supersweet. Interestingly I've just moved dd onto 1-2yr formula (I know it's a con but Im not having mych luck getting her to take cows milk yet) and that smells much much sweeter than her previous formula.

Never try lacto free formula though, that is truly truly vile!

NeedabreaknotabloodyKitKat Sun 25-Nov-12 22:04:45

Christ I have got to start previewing messages typed on my phone, sorry if you can be bothered to decode that lot!

SirBoobAlot Sun 25-Nov-12 22:12:02

I tried mine, had expressed and dropped a little bit on my finger by mistake, so licked it off. Its very sweet. Given the choice, I'd rather drink breast milk than cows milk, simply because of the milking process!

If you don't want to try it, then don't.

I do think its interesting how people get about adults trying breast milk though. We drink the milk of another creature without even a seconds thought, and yet breast milk brings out a whole range of reactions!

stargirl1701 Sun 25-Nov-12 22:18:13

Formula is gross. Really fishy.

Badgersnatch Sun 25-Nov-12 22:21:27

I don't drink milk (fussy). Tried my own and thought it tasted of tinned peaches. Never tried formula because it has fish oil in and I'm a veggie.

sammysaidso Sun 25-Nov-12 22:22:10

I've breastfeed for 3months now and I can honesty say the thought to try it has never crossed my mind.
I did stick some on one of my partners spots once and it cleared it up really well!

OTTMummA Sun 25-Nov-12 22:41:17

I had some colostrum on a spoon in late pregnancy, I had a horrible chest infection, I also used it to clean DS eyes from conjunctivitis as I didn't want that spreading just before DD arrived, works a treat. My colostrum was very yellow and sticky, but had loads.

NumericalMum Sun 25-Nov-12 22:56:07

My dd had dairy free formula when she was older and that turned my stomach when I made the bottles. Just stank. No way I could have tasted it either.

Rachog Sun 25-Nov-12 22:57:41

I have licked the odd dribble from my arm very sweet.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Sun 25-Nov-12 22:59:31

Weird not to IMO
I don't mean downing a glass or pouring it on your pancakes, I mean licking spills off your hand when you have over-supply or temp testing when you express etc
It's more faff NOT to

BuddyTheChristmasElf Sun 25-Nov-12 23:00:34

"Formula is gross. Really fishy" Aptimal is, cause it has fish in it! others aren't

Cortana Sun 25-Nov-12 23:06:05

I tried mine. Super sweet, during pregnancy and while BF after DS was born I was on a very healthy low sugar diet to keep my BM as good as it could be <pfb-alert>. No idea what causes such a sweet taste. Formula tasted horrible.

Also found it good for spots, conjunctivitis and nappy rash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now