To ask why any sane person would take their dc's to do the food shop?

(195 Posts)

The kids hate it, it's more difficult to do it with them (for many reasons varying with age). Why not do it online (unless they don't deliver to your area- does this happen?) it's quicker to do it online once you've set it up. It's cheaper- as you don't tend to browse and buy crap so easily. And there is no crying/moaning/complaining children to drag along. You don't even have to load stuff excess times. Ie from shelf to cashier belt to bags to car to driveway to kitchen. No brainer really?

Haberdashery Wed 21-Nov-12 22:24:01

Um, I like going shopping with my child. She's good fun to talk to and I like watching her writing the shopping list and crossing stuff off as we go round. OK, I only have one nice little well-behaved six year old but I can't see why I'd want to do online shopping, personally. What happens when you do online shopping is they send you shitty substitutions and chickens/mince/fruit with really short use by dates and it drives you mad.

A few years ago, shopping with DD was a bit of a torture but it's a pleasure now. There was a bit of shouting in the interim period.

spoonsspoonsspoons Wed 21-Nov-12 22:24:06

I presume you normally have an hour long slot for a delivery? If so I can go to the supermarket, shop, get home and unpacked in under an hour.

In response to children learning chores- my dd1 (5) helps me with writing the food shop list- we look in the cupboards to see what is needed and discuss what we might like for dinners. She likes to look at the computer for the online shop and point things out. The future is online shopping- she'll know how to budget and do it.

We do do other forms of outside shopping- clothes etc. so she's getting the full spectrum! ;)

SamSmalaidh Wed 21-Nov-12 22:27:54

I would love to be able to do my shop online, but unfortunately Aldi don't deliver sad

I do try to do it without DS but sometimes I have to take him. He's usually pretty good and happy enough though.

Yes spoons but in the 'waiting hour' I'm not waiting- I'm doing other useful stuff- Like playing with the dc, cooking, relaxing etc! Much more fun than going to the shop- which take much more time than 1hr from door to door IMO

thekidsrule Wed 21-Nov-12 22:30:23

YABU because not everybody has a partner,cm,family,or internet for that matter to make it easier

isnt shopping part of everyday life with children,its unavoidable in many peoples lives (well maybe not on mn)

same as if i needed the dentist my child came with me,needed the doctor,hair cut etc for me they came with me

do people really out-source the children when these things come up

Thekidsrule- read the post.

JollyJock Wed 21-Nov-12 22:32:48

I wouldn't take Ds clothes shopping for me if I could possibly help it. Clothes are far too boring and we would just both end up very stressed. Plus primark doesn't have trolleys.

Perhaps I should have worded the title better- I understand that we sometimes have to / want to bring our kids to places. But if you can do it easier online- why not!?

MrsHoarder Wed 21-Nov-12 22:36:12

Lidl don't deliver and it gets me and DS out of the house. Even better old ladies entertain DS when I need a break. I'm not wasting weekend time on food shopping.

SamSmalaidh Wed 21-Nov-12 22:37:05

But some supermarkets you can't do online!

Agree jolly jock- that is another pita for me! But trying on clothes is more necessary. Next is great for this- you can order online for the next day then send back if it doesn't fit.

I'm glad I live in this online world - so much easier!

StuntGirl Wed 21-Nov-12 22:38:09

Why the bollocks do you care so much?

Just because you don't have the will power not to impulse buy don't assume we're all the same.

Stuntgirl- that's the best argument I've heard so far smile

I am one of those people who likes doing my own shopping. I like to check dates on things and choose fresh produce based on how it looks/feels. I won't buy from market stalls who won't allow self selection either.

Ds is now 7 and has done the supermarket shop every week since his first trip at 5 days old. It is a normal everyday event and as such he is capable of behaving. I'm the other way, unless a child has sensory issues and will be genuinely distressed, I am always amazed when other people say they couldn't possibly shop with children in tow. I always wonder how out of control your kids have to be if they can't walk around a shop!

blackcoffee Wed 21-Nov-12 22:42:21

because it's quicker

Sirzy Wed 21-Nov-12 22:42:32

I live less than a mile from the supermarket, im not going to pay someone else to do my shopping for me!

I like going and browsing the aisles, picking which item is best, which fruit is just right for DS, which piece of meat is most suitable.

Ds enjoys it anyway, he helps and makes sure i don't forget 'important' things!

mumnosbest Wed 21-Nov-12 22:43:23

I like to shop around, eg heron or iceland for freezer stuff, aldi for tins and fresh stuff, end of the day at morrisons bakery for sticky bargains. Some places don't do online shopping and you don't get reduced food online.

LizzieVereker Wed 21-Nov-12 22:43:31

I take mine on the supermarket shop because:
1. I like them and want to spend time with them.
2. They like it too and do not whine.
3. It's good for them to help choose food, plan the week's meals. It encourages them to try new things, and they eat better as they are involved.
4. I work and can't go when they're at school anyway.
5. I might be am definitely a bit slow on the computer so it takes nearly as long to Internet shop as it does to go round the real shop.

My dd's are well behaved. I could do the shop with them. It's just a chore though. Even if they weren't with me I'd rather do it online. In fact- they would rather not go!

There are a lot more fun things to do with them IMO

babybythesea Wed 21-Nov-12 22:46:37

DD likes going. And loves to help me spot the food we need. She very rarely has a melt down in the supermarket (she's 3 nearly 4). She's had them, of course, and it's always a risk, but in the main she knows what I expect and she behaves well. I enjoy her chatter as we wander round ("When I grow up and be a boy Father Christmas will bring me my torch back" was this week's offering - took me a while to untangle all the elements of what she meant in that very muddled sentence!)

I tie it in with other things that need doing so I don't just go the supermarket and back (live in the middle of nowhere, I don't do 'single use trips'.). No idea what delivery charges would be but not cheap I'm betting.

I like looking for my own stuff - I will write 'fruit' on my list and then look for the things that look nicest. I also look for deals (on a tight budget here). I go for the shelves where things are about to go out of date and they stick the stuff all together, go for offers wherever they turn up (as long as it's something I'd use anyway, even if I buy more of it due to the offer - three months worth of shower gel anyone?), and make snap decisions about my menu for the week if something turns up on offer I wasn't expecting (menus all planned in advance to avoid impulse buying).

Food shopping just is not that big a deal.

Haberdashery Wed 21-Nov-12 22:48:13

Well, that's your personal preference OP. I would like to take my daughter with me as I find her company enjoyable and I like shopping and choosing food. I am sane.

larks35 Wed 21-Nov-12 22:48:52

Because Lidl don't do online shopping/delivery.
Because I like to go to the butcher and green grocer on the high street and then supermarket for any other stuff.
Because the one and only time I did an internet shop what I got wasn't exactly what I would have bought (meat 1 day away from useby date, veg not as fresh as I would have chosen) and replacements being far removed from what I wanted.
Because my children generally enjoy the shopping experience.
Because I don't feel I should shut myself away just because I have children.
Because I don't feel my children should be excluded from ordinary activities just because they are children.

Dd1 (5) likes to help me choose food online. Unpack the shop. And help me cook! (Simple stuff like peel onions, grate cheese etc)

I can totally understand if you like to browse around different shops like Lidl etc for fab bargains- that makes sense to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now