To be saddened by teenagers of today

(344 Posts)
dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 16:09:25

Ive just been having a conversation with my niece. Apparently its the norm nowadays to "get with" (kiss)as many boys as possible at teenage parties. Parents even supply alcohol to 14/15 year olds.
Girls like this were called awful names if they behaved in such a way when I was at school, whats changed to make it acceptable?

dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 16:49:54

Because my niece is with me and just elaborated on her story, obviously she was embarrassed to tell me what else they were doing. Anyway its quite apparent that I'm an old fuddyduddy.

Witchety Sun 18-Nov-12 16:49:55

Why are you having a go at us dinkybinky when it's your own family behaving this way?!?!!

claraschu Sun 18-Nov-12 16:50:14

It just seems so unromantic.
Do you think people used to be have more fun with the suspense and gentle flirtation, or is that just in the movies and novels?

MadamFolly Sun 18-Nov-12 16:50:51

What I mean Esme, is that the less accepting we are of sexuality the more teen pregnancies and destitute women we will see.

I think you thought I was saying the opposite of what I meant.

nearlymerrychristmasbutnotyet Sun 18-Nov-12 16:50:57

That sort of thing has been going on for years us oldies just tend to forget how shocking things used to be.

Dinky no, it wouldn't really bother me.

And I too don't understand what having respect for yourself has to do with snogging, or not.

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:52:48

No dinkybinky what's obvious is that you have never questioned the notion of sex and morality. You've just heard, probably time and time again, that there is something wrong with kissing, having sex and experimenting. But you've never once questioned why any of those things are wrong. Because if you had, you'd unclench for a second.

What IS wrong is anyone feeling any pressure to do something they're not into or making someone else do something they're not into. As far as sex is concerned, that's pretty much it for me moralistically.

Or actually, TBH it would bother me a bit, but it would be so hypocritical of me to judge that I would really try to get over it.

dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 16:53:40

Would you go out to a club/bar and kiss 20 random men and feel good about yourself the next day?

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:55:11

Yes dinkybinky I would do that if I wanted to and I found the men attractive.

AND I go to sex clubs and yes, I feel good about myself the next day.

Try not to weep into your scented hanky for me, I'm fine.

No I wouldn't because I'm happily married but if I was single I can't see how it wouldn't be ok as long as it was my choice.

Spin the bottle when I was young er

Terribly old fashioned now. I bet there's an app for it...

cory Sun 18-Nov-12 16:57:04

I thought Victorian morals was the kind of thing the Earl of Grantham was on about in the last Downton Abbey episode: "if I'd screamed every time someone tried to kiss me at Eton I'd have gone hoarse in a month").

Spin the bottle when I was young er

Terribly old fashioned now. I bet there's an app for it...

grin <goes to check app store>

Witchety Sun 18-Nov-12 16:58:44

Sex clubs esme ? what are these?

ClippedPhoenix Sun 18-Nov-12 16:58:45

Blimey, what on earth is your problem. My DS is 15 and he doesn't go to kissing parties, maybe kissing goes, so what? Kissing is lovely. I've never seen one derogatory sentence about a member of the opposite sex either on his facebook nor has he ever said anything whilst at home with his mates.

And do you know why? Because I, as a parent have taught him to respect others no matter what gender.

complexnumber Sun 18-Nov-12 16:59:24

Bloke perspective:
At 15/16/17 (i.e. late 70's in London) I was drinking in pubs, staying out all night (M&D sometimes knew where I was when I rang them) smoking anything, dropping pills and generally having fun.

But very few snogs, I went to an all boys school. Female company was gold dust. I was in complete awe of girls and would have done anything they asked.

Why didn't they realise!

If I were single and I had fancied snogging each of those 20 men then yes I would feel fantastic about myself the next day - why ever wouldn't you after a good night out? grin

Just wondering what your 'cut off' point is OP for having morals or not - is kissing three men ok? Or seven? Is it 20 that makes you a slapper? If so just call me Julie Andrews smile

dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 17:00:26

Im glad you asked that Witchety

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 17:01:00

Witchety clubs where people go to disrespect themselves and have sex.

Witchety: is the name not self explanatory?

dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 17:03:03

You mean brothels ?

greeneyed Sun 18-Nov-12 17:03:08

No I wouldn't want to watch my DS kissing several people at a party it woulds be gringeworthy - but it is all quite normal for teenage development, it would be sadder for me to watch my DS in the kitchen, not part of the action and feeling he was missing out! We are all sexual creatures and teenagers experiment - actually in this party enviroment whrere there friends are close by it is probably safer than being alone with a boy. My 80 year old grandma was knocked up at 16, she's reading 50 Shades at the moment, not sure much has changed.

Witchety Sun 18-Nov-12 17:03:56

No akiss it could be anything sex related!

I know about dangers clubs, wondered how the 2 differed?

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 17:04:08

Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha.

Brothels!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now