Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be saddened by teenagers of today

(344 Posts)
dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 16:09:25

Ive just been having a conversation with my niece. Apparently its the norm nowadays to "get with" (kiss)as many boys as possible at teenage parties. Parents even supply alcohol to 14/15 year olds.
Girls like this were called awful names if they behaved in such a way when I was at school, whats changed to make it acceptable?

dinkybinky Sun 18-Nov-12 16:23:45

Theonewiththehair, One thing leads to another unfortunately, its probably why the UK has one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the world.

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:23:59

dinkybinky - how is it disrespecting yourself to kiss someone/lots of someones? Can you actually explain it, because I don't understand it.

My gran (would be in her 80s by now) said she did loads of snogging. "You lot didn't invent it you know," she told me once.

BinksToEnlightenment Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:11

I would still like to kiss fifteen boys in one night, but alas those days are gone!

gingergran Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:15

I'm older and it all sounds horribly familiar!!! Not that I would admit to such behaviour...

OpheliaPayneAgain Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:32

47, so I am so far the oldest person on this thread who spent their early teenage years getting pissed out of my head and shagging snogging random boys.

I'm 47 and I didn't spend my teenage years shagging around or getting pissed.

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:24:54

mmmmmmmmmmmm 15 boys

I wouldn't have the energy now sad

BegoniaBampot Sun 18-Nov-12 16:25:39

we were doing this when I as 10yrs old in the 70's. Was quite innocent and we were all well brought up kids. was definitely happening in the teens.

I get so sick of the teen bashing actually. They are not all going to be raving nymphomaniacs, drunks and thugs because they do a bit of snogging. angry

Spin the bottle anyone? And I was 12 when I first played that at a party.

exexpat Sun 18-Nov-12 16:27:24

Gosh, do they wait as late as 15 these days? I was 12

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:27:24

dinkybinky so more British teenagers get pregnant because they do more snogging than other countries?

I think you'll find that's bollocks. The countries with the lowest teen pregnancies tend to be those with a lassez faire attitude towards sex and an excellent sex education system. The US, who are even more hung up on the morality of sex than we are, have a really bad record for this.

You might be interested to know that teen pregnancy is actually at its lowest since 1969. BBC So you can unclench your bum cheeks for a couple of minutes and rest assured that there are some teenagers out there who aren't knocking back Strongbow and playing hide the salami.

greeneyed Sun 18-Nov-12 16:28:02

Dinkybinky I'm sorry but you have certainly led a sheltered life as has your DD another one at 38 who did this at 14 me and my best friend had a snogging competition at party, I snogged 17 boys! We were nice girls from nice respectable families smile I actually think this is just a game and pretty harmless - more worrying are the quite ones who slope off with just one boy and then get pregnant!

I was a teen in the 80's (ie a long time ago grin) and I did lots of snogging when I was 14/15. More worryingly, probably, I had a 'steady' boyfriend at that age, as did lots of my friends, and it went a bit further than snogging quite often blush - usually fueled by too much woodpecker cider at parties...

Actually I feel sorry for my DC of that age, and his friends, sometimes. All the parents I know (including me) are much more strict on their teens than parents were when I was a teen - if my son or his peers were out Saturday nights at parties; no adults in the house, alcohol flowing & plenty of snogging and more going on, we would collectively die of shock, I think.

dinkybinky one thing does not always lead to another. Kids are pretty savvy these days you know.

FromEsme Sun 18-Nov-12 16:29:07

I didn't do any shagging til I was 17, I was a voracious reader of teenage magazines and I knew to wait til I was with someone I loved. He turned out to be a controlling bastard, actually, so maybe I'd have been better not bothering.

simplesusan Sun 18-Nov-12 16:30:07

My mum bought me alcohol to take to parties at 14/15. If she hadn't then I would have drank anything available rather than had a controlled, sensible attitude to a totally legal drug.
When my dd1 (15.5) asks me to buy her drink for a party I do,thus trying to instil in her the sensible attitude to drink.

HecatePropylaea Sun 18-Nov-12 16:30:38

Yes, I had a wonderful moment with my 86 year old great aunt who was telling me over tea and biscuits about all her boyfriends and the great fun she used to have at the weekly dances. grin

I am laughing at 'my daughter is stunning', as if she were to be ugly, that would be different.

Nothing like a mother's rose tinted glasses anyway.

wigglybeezer Sun 18-Nov-12 16:30:50

Well my 14 year old has been to a fair few teenage parties and I don't think much snogging goes on yet. At the last one ( which he said was brilliant) they has lots of soft drinks, food and played with a giant net of balloons. He came home with a piece of cake wrapped in a napkin the only difference between when he was 4 and now was the late hour and the fact he cared what he looked like!

fergoose Sun 18-Nov-12 16:31:10

I was a teen in the 1980s and we did this - we weren't all having sex with these boys. Seems a bit harsh to judge all teenagers in this way don't you think. I also have a teenage daughter and she isn't a badly behaved teen at all - far from it.

missymoomoomee Sun 18-Nov-12 16:33:21

Haha my mother thought I was a virgin until I was 18 (And I was also stunning if that matters) I think your dd may have told you a few porkie pies there.

I'm afraid I'm having a bit of a snigger at your 19 year old's virgin lips. And you really really believe that do you? grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 18-Nov-12 16:34:37

I was a teen in the 80s and we all did this as well.

LucieMay Sun 18-Nov-12 16:34:43

I'm 32 and that sounds very familiar.

I bet that we are all stunning on this thread- I know I am.

dexter73 Sun 18-Nov-12 16:36:48

My mum still thinks dh is the only man I have ever slept with! Bit different to her as she had a baby when she was 16! (and that was 1954!!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now