to think £12 for a burger and chips is pricey...

(64 Posts)
RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:09:29

Haven't been out for country pub lunch for a while, and am a bit surprise that the standard price for a burger and chips in a nice pub seems to be £11-13...is that a bit much or have I just lost track of inflation? You can get a proper plate dish for £13-18 which is understandable, but burgers at £12...?

PickledFanjoCat Fri 16-Nov-12 11:50:57

It's all poncetastic now innit triple cooked chips and homemade steak burgers!

If you want a wrong un there's only maccy d left.

Depends. What nationality is the burger?

FestiveDigestive Fri 16-Nov-12 13:09:14

It depends on the burger. To pay that much for a dry flat Iceland type of burger in a bun, with a pile of previously frozen chips on the side - yuck! That's the sort of burger & chips I would expect in a Wetherspoons/Premier Inn type of place and I think that a meal like that is ridiculously overpriced even if it around £6.

But for a big fat juicy home-made burger (full of onions,spice and flavour) that has been made with local beef and perhaps topped with crispy bacon, blue cheese and home-made salsa... With a pile of big fat roasted chips (potatoes still in the skin), maybe a bit of garlic mayo, some fresh salad on the side... In a few places local to me I would expect to pay at least £12/£14 for that and I would be delighted with it. [can you tell I am feeling very hungry at the moment?! I would LOVE a burger].

PickledFanjo - I've just realised I have just described a poncetastic burger!

Trills Fri 16-Nov-12 13:12:46

I don't see how burger with chips and salad is any less of a meal than meat with potatoes and veg.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 16-Nov-12 13:14:45

Worst is in those dead posh places where you get 6 chips stacked up like jenga blocks. If I have ordered chips I want a decent number of them and even if they are dead big 6 is not enough.

I really fancy a great big juicy burger with loads of onions and cheese, bit of garlic mayo... I'd pay £12 for that.

Cartoonjane Fri 16-Nov-12 13:25:41

There is a huge variation in burgers isn't there? If I paid £11 for a burger I'd expect a big fat one, possibly organic, to be asked how I wanted it cooked, to have it served with really good trimmings like homemade relish and proper homemade chips and a really good bun (not a floppy thing). I wouldn't mind paying for that. If I paid £11 and got anything like a MacDonalds burger or any thin, pre frozen thing I'd feel ripped off. In fact, I'd complain.

On a day out in Lake District we came across a pub selling food. It looked like a fairly bog standard menu but there was nothing under a tenner for an adult. We settled on a homemade Beef and Guinness pie with colcannon for me and dh ordered the mixed grill with homemade chips (its not a meal if meat isn't included according to dh). The kids had homemade chicken nuggets with chips. These portions were huge and the kids couldn't finish theirs. Everything was absolutely delicious. The pie was amazing and dh (green with jealously at me genius ordering) suggested that if I gave him the half with the most amount of crust on it then he'd let me have his bacon chop. grin With drinks it came to over £60 and it was money well spent. We can rarely afford days out but when we do we always incorporate a visit to this pub when we go to Ravenglass and travel on La'al Ratty. The kids never ask to go anywhere else.

pigletmania Fri 16-Nov-12 14:54:14

Crikey that's steep, that's the price of a burger and chips at hard rock cafe in london

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 16-Nov-12 15:00:47

Ooh which pub is that Lookatall - We love the Lake District and are going down there between Christmas and NY?

FreudiansSlipper Fri 16-Nov-12 15:00:58

gastro awarding winning pub here it is around £9

another pub it is £7

I am in a very nice part of se london

Startail Fri 16-Nov-12 15:27:23

Leafy midlands and pub food is now £10-15.

Nothing cheap unless you are lucky and find a £8 lunch menu.

valiumredhead Fri 16-Nov-12 15:35:02

Just been out for lunch and it was £9.50 for posh burger and 'hand cut' chips at a 'naice' pub in the midlands. Even toasties were £6 ish.

Fluffy1234 Fri 16-Nov-12 15:40:19

I really fancy a burger right now, the bigger the better!

valiumredhead Fri 16-Nov-12 15:41:53

I have just a fab one with pickle and stilton - omg it was fabulous!

InNeedOfBrandy Fri 16-Nov-12 15:48:36

I would just like to say wetherspoons beef burger Topped with two bacon slices and a Stilton, Shropshire blue & spring onion sauce and Includes six beer-battered whole onion rings. Is pretty delish and under a tenner with a pint of cider. Not inceland type burgers at all.

theoriginalandbestrookie I think its called The Bridgehouse inn. Not 100%. If you turn left when you walk out of the station in Boot its the first pub. Its a big white pub. Try it, its lovely.

I had a cheese and pickle sandwich at a pub outside the Victoria coach station. FIVE POUNDS. ridiculous. But I wanted a pint (hours to kill) and had no cash on me, had to make up the balance and nowhere else around there took plastic so picked the cheapest and yet most filling thing I could find at a glance. The little salad garnish it came with was nice, but the actual sandwich was just....slightly stale bread with grated cheese and probably pickles out of a jar!

ah just cut open an orange and unleashed gorgeous orangey smell.

that's all you need.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:13:19

Great thanks DH loves Boot - he went to the Boot beer and sausage festival last year

bigTillyMint Fri 16-Nov-12 17:16:07

It's about a tenner for a ponce-tastic decent quality burger and chips in local gastro-pubs here in our corner of London.

I am actually drooling at the thought of FestiveDigestives burger.

Fuck me, I want one of those envy

bureni Fri 16-Nov-12 17:29:29

Quality burger and chips here (North Down) £5-7, local chippy does a lunchtime special burger and chips with a tin of coke/club for £2.80 which is as good as if not better than any I have tried.

riskit4abiskit Fri 16-Nov-12 18:06:21

I think wetherspoons beer and a burger are really nice, and no I don't work there .

(gets coat and leaves whilst whistling under breath)

ifancyashandy Fri 16-Nov-12 18:08:33

Just been for a date lunch and had a burger that was bloody delicious. Minced serloin steak. With amazing triple cooked chips and all sorts of poncetastic toppings. £18 of your British pounds. Chelsea...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now