to think £12 for a burger and chips is pricey...

(64 Posts)
RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:09:29

Haven't been out for country pub lunch for a while, and am a bit surprise that the standard price for a burger and chips in a nice pub seems to be £11-13...is that a bit much or have I just lost track of inflation? You can get a proper plate dish for £13-18 which is understandable, but burgers at £12...?

YANBU, I wouldn't pay that for a burger and chips either. I know country pubs can be pricey, but the chain pubs often do burger, chips and a drink for £6

squeakytoy Fri 16-Nov-12 11:13:04

The standard price in most pubs in surrey is around 9-10 quid in a decent establishment, so you must have been at a posh place smile

RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:16:10

Squeaky, that's what I thought (£9-10) but I'm noticing more and more are up at £11+ and not particularly posh, but obviously not Weatherspoon.

kim147 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:16:29

Which part of the world do you live in?
Up here in Yorkshire, you're looking at about £5 for that. In a nice pub as well.

kim147 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:16:58

I love Yorkshire smile

MummyPig24 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:21:24

Down here its about £10-£13 for a burger and chips in a nice pub. Doesn't mean the burger will be nice though!

Trills Fri 16-Nov-12 11:22:51

YANBU to think it's pricey, but YABU to think it's wrong to charge a similar amount for burger and chips than for a "proper plate dish", whatever that s.

If a "proper plate dish" is £13 then why should burger and chips not be £11?

What's the difference?

SamanthaStormer Fri 16-Nov-12 11:22:58

Yorkshire here too, and £12 for burger and chips seems extortionate! Even dead posh burgers and chips in a 'naice' pub would only cost about £7!
I love Yorkshire smile

I went to Byron Burger recently in Ken High St....and it was a lot less than that. Burgers were nice. Mind you, chips were extra.

Best go and see my Dad in Yorkshire!

RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:29:34

I need to move to Yorkshire then! Proper food and proper prices!!

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Fri 16-Nov-12 11:30:03

It's a round the same price in country pubs around here.

I know it doesn't make sense, but i would rather have something other than a burger and chips for the same amount. Burger and chips seems pretty unsubstantial, and nowt special. If I wanted a burger I would go to Macdonalds.

I also mutter under my breath if dd orders something simple like a spaghetti with tomato sauce - I can cook that at home. But that's not the point is it. I do though prefer to order stuff in restaurants which I never cook at home,

healstorturepeople Fri 16-Nov-12 11:31:38

I'm in the North East and have never seen a burger more than about £8. Usually around the £6 mark.

kim147 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:32:08

You can go t'pub near Ilkley Moor and get a giant Yorkshire with banger in middle covered in gravy for a fiver.

And you get brass band playing Jerusalem on top o'moor thrown in.

Real food up here smile

RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:32:35

Trills, by proper plate dish I meant leg of lamb or duck or something like that. Something which requires a bit of cooking. Let's face it, a burger is really no more than a warm sandwich and making chips requires no real culinary talent either.

kim147 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:33:30

I hope you get a naice salad with that as well at that price.

RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:35:07

Yes of course Kim. And organic too. What more could one want!

MaxPepsi Fri 16-Nov-12 11:35:56

I'm Yorkshire

Not sure where the other posters are but Posh Burger and chips in a 'naice' pub can range anywhere from £9 upwards. Usually upwards to be honest

I never order burgers for that reason. If I want a burger I just go to MuckyD's.

MaxPepsi Fri 16-Nov-12 11:39:25

OOh Kim.......I'm trying to guess now which Pub you mean smile

Is it the Cow and Calf - where burgers are over £9 or possibly the Hermit? which is bloody delish food but v expensive for a sandwich which consists of just 2 slices of bread

itsatrap Fri 16-Nov-12 11:41:28

Blimey - you could get a plate of carrots for that price!

ENormaSnob Fri 16-Nov-12 11:41:34

About 6 to 8 quid here.

(north west)

kim147 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:43:30

maxpepsi I might have made the price up smile

But you do get a gigantic Yorkshire pudding though with gravy. Not sure about the price though.

Think it's the Cow and Calf. Haven't been there for a long time.

MaxPepsi Fri 16-Nov-12 11:49:32

Ah I see Kim

If you've not been for a while I think you'll be in for a shock.

Lovely food still but you're not going to get a filled a Yorkie full stop, never mind for a fiver!

But having said all that, you get fantastic views on Ilkley Moor so still worth the visit grin

McChristmasPants2012 Fri 16-Nov-12 11:49:47

It may not be a beef burger but venison

RichTeas Fri 16-Nov-12 11:49:55

Cow and Calf burgers ... £9.25 - £10.95 getting hungry now !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now