... ask MNers to boycott Starbucks?

(806 Posts)
legoballoon Tue 16-Oct-12 22:44:10

Personally, I won't be spending any money there again.

When I read the 'we pay our fair share of tax' statement, I almost choked on my (home made) hot chocolate. It's one law for the rich, another for us now is it?!

I think we should support small, UK-based independent coffee shops. Let's support businesses that generate wealth that is shared by local people.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:57

Can anybody link to the statement or analysis so I can get a bit more info on what the OP is talking about, thanks?

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:57

I have no problem sacrificing my own needs and boycotting a coffee shop I've never been in for the sake of some MN solidarity.

Thank fuck it's coffee and not wine

maddening Tue 16-Oct-12 22:56:25

I'm in but was already - will spread the word

Oh but I like starbucks. <Whines> and and and, its right next door to where I have to wait for an hour and a half twice a week while dd1 does her extra curriculars...

Ohhhhhh I'll have to walk alllll the way to costa now. <Sulks> are we sure costa are any better?

I think I have been in there once, and found the whole pick a sandwich, had it to the staff who then put it on a plate with stale crisps thing really pretentious.

Do they still do that?

My boycotting them wont make much difference, but I agree with the principle.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 22:57:02

I do a better hot chocolate than Starbucks and Costa. Fact. The man who came to fix the windows said so grin

LineRunner Tue 16-Oct-12 22:57:24

How much tax have these cunts avoided over 14 years? £200 million? £300 million? More??

grin Worra!

flow4 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:21

I'm in too.
They could probably pay off the national debt all by themselves!
(Put the kettle on, MrsTP!)

Groovee Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:47

I never step foot in Starbucks over priced over the top and over here.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:55

What other companies are in the same boat?

BrainSurgeon Tue 16-Oct-12 22:59:30

Aargh just now when they opened a Starbucks at my office!!! Buggers! I'll do my best to stay away but may get a caramel macchiato every now and again

I'm with Worra, quite happy to continue boycotting Starbucks as i have never been to one. I am also boycotting Costa due to it being crapola.

ZacharyQuack Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:09

I've always boycotted Starbucks. I actually like the taste of coffee.

I read that they'd only been doing this since the Tories have been in government. Not sure if that's true though

flow4 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:39
SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:42

I would like to picket them.

But I'm lazy, and scared of being arrested, so I won't.

cantspel Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:31

I have never been in a starbucks either. If i want a coffee and cake whilst in town i use a small local cafe as they dont charge an arm and a leg for a coffee with a strange name.

MissPricklePants Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:48

Tesco, Vodafone and Arcadia Group (Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, Topman and Burtons) do not pay corporation tax. Neither do Amazon if I remember correctly.

mercibucket Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:56

I'm in, and will email too

WineGless Tue 16-Oct-12 23:03:47

I'm in. However they are complying with current tax laws so how's about lobbying MPs to get them changed?

flow4 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:04

Actually, this link is better: www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:08

BrainSurgeon give someone else the money to buy it for you, doesn't count that way wink

Does anyone else find mispronunciation Italian sizes excruciatingly pretentious and use good ol' 'small/medium/large' instead?

MummysHappyPills Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:10

I'm in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now