Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

... ask MNers to boycott Starbucks?

(806 Posts)
legoballoon Tue 16-Oct-12 22:44:10

Personally, I won't be spending any money there again.

When I read the 'we pay our fair share of tax' statement, I almost choked on my (home made) hot chocolate. It's one law for the rich, another for us now is it?!

I think we should support small, UK-based independent coffee shops. Let's support businesses that generate wealth that is shared by local people.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:57

Can anybody link to the statement or analysis so I can get a bit more info on what the OP is talking about, thanks?

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Oct-12 22:55:57

I have no problem sacrificing my own needs and boycotting a coffee shop I've never been in for the sake of some MN solidarity.

Thank fuck it's coffee and not wine

maddening Tue 16-Oct-12 22:56:25

I'm in but was already - will spread the word

Oh but I like starbucks. <Whines> and and and, its right next door to where I have to wait for an hour and a half twice a week while dd1 does her extra curriculars...

Ohhhhhh I'll have to walk alllll the way to costa now. <Sulks> are we sure costa are any better?

I think I have been in there once, and found the whole pick a sandwich, had it to the staff who then put it on a plate with stale crisps thing really pretentious.

Do they still do that?

My boycotting them wont make much difference, but I agree with the principle.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 22:57:02

I do a better hot chocolate than Starbucks and Costa. Fact. The man who came to fix the windows said so grin

LineRunner Tue 16-Oct-12 22:57:24

How much tax have these cunts avoided over 14 years? £200 million? £300 million? More??

grin Worra!

flow4 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:21

I'm in too.
They could probably pay off the national debt all by themselves!
(Put the kettle on, MrsTP!)

Groovee Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:47

I never step foot in Starbucks over priced over the top and over here.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 22:58:55

What other companies are in the same boat?

BrainSurgeon Tue 16-Oct-12 22:59:30

Aargh just now when they opened a Starbucks at my office!!! Buggers! I'll do my best to stay away but may get a caramel macchiato every now and again

Sparklingbrook Tue 16-Oct-12 22:59:50

I'm with Worra, quite happy to continue boycotting Starbucks as i have never been to one. I am also boycotting Costa due to it being crapola.

ZacharyQuack Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:09

I've always boycotted Starbucks. I actually like the taste of coffee.

I read that they'd only been doing this since the Tories have been in government. Not sure if that's true though

flow4 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:39
SkippyYourFriendEverTrue Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:42

I would like to picket them.

But I'm lazy, and scared of being arrested, so I won't.

cantspel Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:31

I have never been in a starbucks either. If i want a coffee and cake whilst in town i use a small local cafe as they dont charge an arm and a leg for a coffee with a strange name.

MissPricklePants Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:48

Tesco, Vodafone and Arcadia Group (Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, Topman and Burtons) do not pay corporation tax. Neither do Amazon if I remember correctly.

mercibucket Tue 16-Oct-12 23:01:56

I'm in, and will email too

WineGless Tue 16-Oct-12 23:03:47

I'm in. However they are complying with current tax laws so how's about lobbying MPs to get them changed?

flow4 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:04

Actually, this link is better: www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19967397

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:08

BrainSurgeon give someone else the money to buy it for you, doesn't count that way wink

Does anyone else find mispronunciation Italian sizes excruciatingly pretentious and use good ol' 'small/medium/large' instead?

MummysHappyPills Tue 16-Oct-12 23:04:10

I'm in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now