to think parents videoing school assemblies and posting the video on facebook is wrong

(193 Posts)
mamabanana Fri 12-Oct-12 10:36:55

Just noticed a post from a friend on facebook with a video link to a class assembly. I honestly don't think the person posting has thought through their actions, but surely it is against most school policies? If the school record something, they have to get every parent to sign to say they agree to their child being videoed. I have no problem with parents videoing their children to watch back, but posting it on social media????

What do you think and what would you do? Am I overreacting? I need a second opinion before I speak to friend or even the school about it.

YouMayLogOut Sat 13-Oct-12 11:43:01

> Facebook really isnt the be all and end all

Well said filetheflightoffancy.

pigletmania Sat 13-Oct-12 07:43:59

YANBU that is wrong. Some people on here are very naive about FB privacy setting that are not all that private as they make out to be.

HanSolo Sat 13-Oct-12 01:45:26

gosakuramachi - please could you explain what this part of Facebook's T&Cs means?

>>2. Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

[my emboldening]

The piece you quoted upthread mentioned information, i.e. personal data not content, which of course they cannot share without contravening the DPA I should have thought.

Surely the paragraph above states they may use your content as they wish? and then sub-licence that content to whomever they want? and the absolve themselves from any comeback from others using your content after one has deleted one's FB account too.

freddiefrog Fri 12-Oct-12 21:36:23

Couthy Maybe have a word (even if just to double check security settings) it really depends why your DD's friend is in care. My FC's circumstances are fairly exceptional although, unfortunately, not unusual.

It'll probably be addressed during supervision should it ever become an issue

I hope you're feeling better!!

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 21:31:11

grin I didn't post everything that was shite today there either... Thank fuck for pain meds.

alienreflux Fri 12-Oct-12 21:26:25

couthy fuck sake,i thought i had a bad day thanks and loads of wine << she slurringly types >>and if there was a pain meds emoticon,loads of them too

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 21:21:06

Ah, DD's friend IS over 13. And right now, family seeing the pictures isn't an issue. Might be soon though, so maybe a word to the FC?

marquesas Fri 12-Oct-12 21:19:48

Sorry you've had a bad day Couthy and thanks for coming back and reconsidering.

Photos on the internet won't be a problem for all fostered children but for many they could be. A school policy of only publishing photos of your own children make sense all round imo. Parents can still make a record of important events but do in considerately.

freddiefrog Fri 12-Oct-12 21:14:26

I think it depends on the care order.

My FC is in danger from their birth parents so they are not allowed to know FCs whereabouts. FC is not allowed on FB either, they understand this as their last placement broke down when someone posted a pic on FB and their parents found it and attempted to contact them, so FC is really good about it.

I know other FC's who are on FB, they're over 13 so there's not much their carer can do about it and their circumstances are different. It depends on social services, but as a rule we are not allowed to post an FC's pics on FB, but the FC can if they so wish

With an iPhone, it's dead easy to email. If you go into your photo stream, find the photo/video, touch the little icon that looks like a box with an arrow popping out and choose the email option.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 12-Oct-12 21:05:29

Couthy, hope your weekend is better than your day today smile

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 21:03:28

Very, VERY bad day.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 21:02:39

I think a lot of it might have been that I was having a very bad day, less than 3 hrs sleep due to DS3, yet again, altercation with DS1's SM where she was trying to tell me what I should do with my DC's, then I came on here to feel like someone else was telling me what I can and can't do wrt my DC's, on top of a SN dx for DS3 (already got DD & DS2 with SN's) yesterday, plus fuck up at pharmacy with pain meds.

None of which made me my usual empathetic self. blush

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 20:59:19

I will try to find out. I am guessing it might not be an issue right now, while no family are available to search these things out, but might be in a few months.

I think I might mention it. Her FC's are not really of a generation to understand fb, tbh.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 12-Oct-12 20:57:31

PS, Couthy, thank you for thinking about this issue differently now (I really don't mean that in a patronising way)

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 12-Oct-12 20:54:58

Couthy, it's not necessarily an issue for your DD's friend to be posting pictures of herself, it really depends on her circumstances. If you know her FC to speak to, it might be worth mentioning though.

I believe you can blog with an iPhone (not got one myself, but think they operate very similarly to an iPad, which you can definitely use to blog)

filetheflightoffancy Fri 12-Oct-12 20:54:32

And when I say 'internet' I am talking about potentially public sites such a facebook. A completely private blog or email is different as then only the select few family members you want to see the photos can see them.

Please look into other ways of sharing these photos, Facebook really isnt the be all and end all, there are sites devoted to just sharing photos (like Flickr maybe - not an expert I am afraid!).

I still think emailing is by far the easiest way, especially if you have an iphone, it really is a piece of piss! And if you must use facebook, just send them a quick private message to let them know that you have emailed some pics.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 20:50:41

I guess now my pain meds have kicked in, I can see your point. I don't even notice whether there IS anyone in the background of pictures of my DC's - I'm only looking at MY DC's, not what's going on around them.

I still stand by the fact that if I wish to post pictures or videos of my DC's assemblies on fb, then I will, but I can see why it might be best if I crop/blur the people in the background's faces.

I was a bit too combative earlier, for that I apologise. My only defence is that I had run out of my pain meds and was in a shitty, ouchy, spiky mood.

Probably best to lay off MN next time I feel like that. blush

filetheflightoffancy Fri 12-Oct-12 20:40:49

Couthy, even with the issue of foster kids aside, to me posting pictures of other people's children on the internet without their permission is just plain bad manners.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 20:39:30

Can you do a blog from an iPhone? And can you post it on fb so that every one of your family can know that I have posted something up? I can't use the laptop now because of my joint issues, I need to use touchscreen typing.

So I have to be able to do everything on my iPhone. If I can't do it on the iPhone, I can't do it. And I can't use Safari for more than 15 minutes a month because MN and fb use my dongle Internet but Safari uses my Internet from my phone provider.

That's why I do EVERYTHING through Apps and fb, because I can't physically use the laptop, and can't afford to use Safari.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 20:34:09

So I won't upset people if I crop out/ blur background faces, but keep my DS's face clear?

And how come my DD's friend in FC is on fb and posting pictures of her and her friends in uniform then? Should I tell her Foster Carers that she does this? I didn't know that this would be an issue, because all the FC DC's that I know are on fb and post 100's of pictures of them and their friends every day.

So I didn't really think of this as an issue I guess.

MaryZed Fri 12-Oct-12 19:22:32

That is the problem, isn't it WildWorld.

If parents would stop putting things on Facebook, then schools could allow photographs/videos to be made.

Because of parents breaking the privacy rules and requests, it is getting to the stage that schools ban photography completely sad.

YouMayLogOut Fri 12-Oct-12 19:16:09

I just email photos to family and friends. Cut out the middle man/woman!

Tailtwister Fri 12-Oct-12 19:02:03

For those who really find FB useful for family and friends, why not create a blog. You can password protect it. Several of our family members have them and it's really nice to see what people are up to.

WildWorld2004 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:23:56

This is the reason why i do not have any photos/videos of my dd at school. sad

Instead the school now employ a photographer who charges £10 per photo.

If i wanted my dd to be broadcast over the internet i would do it myself.

freddiefrog Fri 12-Oct-12 18:10:51

The problem with school events is the school uniform, and (if people are tagged who don't have good privacy) the ease of finding where the school is, which makes tracing the children very easy.

Yes. My FC's birth parents do not know where they are. FC has been moved away from their immediate area, but a pic of them posted on FB wearing their uniform will advertise where they'll be 9.00am - 3.00pm Monday to Friday to a wide audience. From that, it's not difficult to find out where they live, where they are at certain times and what places they frequent.

My settings on my FB page are set very tightly. I have no tagging and friends only settings, but Child X's mum who takes a photo in a school assembly which includes my FC may not have such strict settings

It also applies to scout/guide uniforms, pics in newspapers, etc. Social Services will not allow it.

Our school doesn't ban posting pics on FB outright, just not pics where other children are included.

I am not fussed about my children's pics on FB, but we have to be strict about our FC's pics appearing on there. Our school is very hot on it (there are several FC/children with CP issues in the school) and fortunately the rest of the parents are supportive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now