to wonder whose fault this was

(72 Posts)
lingle Tue 09-Oct-12 18:10:53

Family A has a nanny but she can't drive just now.

Family B mum down the road says she's happy to pick up Family A's kids on Tuesdays.

Family B mum starts to pick up regularly. Nanny sends regular text on Tuesdsays "ok to pick up?" etc.

Family B takes their holiday abroad one week so family B mum doesn't respond to text - is at a wedding abroad. Family B has made vague reference to wedding to mum of Family A over coffee previous week but not in a "so you realise I won't be picking up Tuesday don't you?" kind of way.

No-one picks up kids, school call Family A dad who is very cross with Family B and sends nanny down to school in a taxi.

Jury, verdict please....

<nervous>

AgentZigzag Tue 09-Oct-12 18:14:17

Family B should have made it clearer that the children weren't going to be picked up, and Family As nanny should have been sure they were being picked up.

I can understand why the dad's a bit miffed, but then he's ultimately responsible for his children...

So an all rounder really grin

Ohh I think if its been a regular arrangement it should have been made very clear by family b that they weren't available to do so that week.

But nanny should have followed it up if no answer.

Obiwan Tue 09-Oct-12 18:17:22

It sounds like a misunderstanding.

I suppose if I were Family B, and had actually received the nannys text, I'd have made a point of replying so that Family A were aware that there was no chance of the pick up taking place.

Sassybeast Tue 09-Oct-12 18:17:28

Nanny should have used initiative when she received no reply to text and text again or rung mum.
Nanny at fault 'gavel'

AgentZigzag Tue 09-Oct-12 18:18:52

Actually, the children were the ones at school, it was their fault as much as anyones.

lingle Tue 09-Oct-12 18:19:46

Family B did not receive text - old phone package didn't work abroad.

lingle Tue 09-Oct-12 18:21:52

AgentZ is not taking this entirely seriously!

SoupDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 18:22:20

Family B mother made a commitment to collect the A children on Tuesdays. she should have made it clear that she was unavailable that particular week.

I'd say the nanny!! Yes it should have been clearer BUT u can't ever assume anythin. No response could have meant phone was broken, no signal, a family emergency so couldnt reply etc. nanny should have bothered to check!!!!

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:24:30

I don't think anybody is at fault really. Are you the nanny?

If so - well you could have rung your boss and said 'can I have taxi cash please in case Family B aren't at school because I haevn't heard either way' - and your boss owuld probably have said 'don't be a dafty trosuers!'

Family B should have been clearer - it's the midst of a school term and they've done it every Tuesday to date. Not unreasonable to assume they'd be there this week.

ajandjjmum Tue 09-Oct-12 18:25:45

So OP....which one are you? grin

Goldfishshoalsnibblingatmytoes Tue 09-Oct-12 18:26:09

If Nanny/Family A thought it was an agreed arrangement they wouldn't have sent text asking if it was being done this week.

Therefore by sending text, they know there's no commitment implied by Family B so therefore why send the text?

To get a response to say yes happy - therefore when no text received in reply, nanny should have known she needed to do something.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 09-Oct-12 18:26:18

Nanny should have rung school when she didn't get a reply to text. Mother A should have asked when mum B mentioned wedding (however vaguely) about school pick up arrangements for that time period.

Ultimate responsibility lies with the parents of the children.

sleepyhead Tue 09-Oct-12 18:26:31

Nanny is at fault. Why bother sending the text if you're just going to assume all is ok?

But it would have been nice of family B to make it a bit more obvious that the lift was off that week.

AgentZigzag Tue 09-Oct-12 18:27:32

I think the OP is Family B, for definite.

SoldeInvierno Tue 09-Oct-12 18:27:48

Maybe family B is fed up with arrangement and thought "that'll teach them"

AgentZigzag Tue 09-Oct-12 18:28:43

That wouldn't be very nice given that the children were left high and dry Solde.

Much easier to say 'Can't do it any more'.

Obiwan Tue 09-Oct-12 18:29:20

I think OP is Family B too grin

Shutupanddrive Tue 09-Oct-12 18:29:40

I would say its the nannys fault for assuming they were being picked up, especially after having no response to the text

SoldeInvierno Tue 09-Oct-12 18:30:16

Who says they are nice or like that sort of confrontation? some people put up with many inconvenient arrangement out of habit or embarrassment. I am defending it, but it is a possibility.

SoldeInvierno Tue 09-Oct-12 18:30:37

sorry, I meant NOT defendng it

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Tue 09-Oct-12 18:31:55

Family A is at fault.

lingle Tue 09-Oct-12 18:32:12

Is it time to confess which one I was?

HecateLarpo Tue 09-Oct-12 18:34:21

Well, family A should have asked when family B mentioned the wedding. That would be the first thing I would do!

Nanny, upon not getting a reply to the "ok to pick up" text, should have thought that that meant there might be a problem and planned accordingly. NEVER assume!

Family B should have said that they won't be around.

It's a lack of clear communication all round, imo, but if I had to pick one to put more blame on grin it would be the nanny for not acting when they got no reply to the text.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now