Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to enter the London Marathon when DH doesn't want me to?

(84 Posts)
Loueytb3 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:20:00

I'm turning 40 next April and for some insane reason, I thought it would be a good idea to do the London Marathon which is shortly before my birthday. I love running, but have never done anything longer than 10 miles.

DH is adamant I shouldn't do it. He thinks the training will be too much and it is selfish to even consider it (I think he also thinks I'm going to drop dead during the race?)

So, WIBU to enter anyway? I think I would only seriously have to start training after Christmas, so 4 months or so of solid training. From what I can tell (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), its mostly going to impact at the weekend as I will need to do one longer run a week and realistically this is going to have to be at the weekend. The other runs I should be able to fit in during the day around work.

(I haven't got a place btw, but would try and get a charity place if possible.)

raisah Mon 22-Apr-13 22:03:02

typing & breastfeeding at the same time isnt easy! :-)

badguider Mon 22-Apr-13 22:01:21

Yay! good for you. And good for DH for coming round to the idea too.

raisah Mon 22-Apr-13 22:00:55

silly me didnt read it all the way through! congratulations on completing the marathon, I wish I had the stamina & knees to run.

StuntGirl Mon 22-Apr-13 21:58:47

Read the thread raisah grin

Congratulations OP, brilliant achievement flowers

raisah Mon 22-Apr-13 21:55:02

try running a half marathon first as its just a bit over your 10 miles maximum. this will challenge you and build up your confidence. Also, your dp can see whats involved and how capable you are to run the full marathon.

Sanjifair Mon 22-Apr-13 21:54:15

Many congratulations!!!

TheVipperofVipp Mon 22-Apr-13 21:46:18

Oh wow! So lovely to see this thread come up again and to see you did it - and in a cracking time too! Loads of congratulations, on training, finishing, running all the way, raising so much money, and dropping a dress size too! Great stuff grin

Loueytb3 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:12:44

Thank you grin

DH was supportive although at times did complain about the long runs at the weekend. He took all 3 DCs into London yesterday to watch - although they missed me in the end. We did meet up afterwards and they were very exited to see the medal. DS1 has SN so he can be really tough to deal with at times - I didn't think DH would take them all in on his own.

Next I want to do a half under 2 hours and I there is a 10k I do every September so I will do that again.

And the ballot for the 2014 London marathon opens next Monday....DH will kill me if I get a place next year, but on the other hand, I probably won't.

The other good thing is that I've dropped a dress size. Long distance running is great for fat burning. Now I need a new wardrobe...

StickyProblem Mon 22-Apr-13 19:27:28

Well done! flowers

ChaoticTranquility Mon 22-Apr-13 19:22:18

Well done smile

BerryLellow Mon 22-Apr-13 18:06:56

Well done you! smile

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:52:50

Ignore my last post.

Well done for following your dream and completing the marathon smile and what SN amazing amount of money to have raise flowers

Fuzzysnout Mon 22-Apr-13 17:51:16

Really well done - that's fantastic!

McNewPants2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:50:42

Well done. I would sign up to just giving website.

Is your DH supportive of your dreams normally, what if you decided to do night school or train for a new career ect.

FryingNemo Mon 22-Apr-13 17:44:10

Well done you! So impressed.

LayMizzRarb Mon 22-Apr-13 17:41:50

Congratulations! Have a fantastic Birthday - hope you are proud of yourself !

LazyMonkeyButler Mon 22-Apr-13 17:40:55

Well done! That's a huge achievement, you must feel really pleased with yourself for raising all that money grin.

Good for you!

Trazzletoes Mon 22-Apr-13 17:25:52

Well done x

mercibucket Mon 22-Apr-13 17:23:39

Awwww lovely well done smile

LegoAcupuncture Mon 22-Apr-13 17:15:56

Well done!

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Mon 22-Apr-13 17:15:30

Well done, that's a great time! I hear Brighton is a fab marathon to run, but as we head into summer there will be quite a few 10Ks around, and that is a lovely distance to run, to keep your legs moving.

complexnumber Mon 22-Apr-13 17:14:04

Congratulations, that is a heck of an achievment.

Did your DH give you support once he realised you were serious?

catsmother Mon 22-Apr-13 17:10:45

That's brilliant. How was your DH about it in the end ? I hope he supported you and congratulated you afterwards.

Jinty64 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:09:48

Congratulations on your fantastic achievement. Enjoy your birthday!

Loueytb3 Mon 22-Apr-13 17:06:44

I thought I would just update this post. Yesterday, I ran the London Marathon in 4hrs 43mins. It was bloody hard but I ran the whole way - the crowd kept me going in the end. Having my name on my shirt really helped when people yelled at me to keep going even though I felt like stopping.

So far I've raised £2300 for the Miscarriage Association and with work matching £500 of it, it should be at least £2800. So thank you for your posts encouraging me to enter!

Feeling rather sore today but now thinking of what race to do next...grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now