AIBU to enter the London Marathon when DH doesn't want me to?

(84 Posts)
Loueytb3 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:20:00

I'm turning 40 next April and for some insane reason, I thought it would be a good idea to do the London Marathon which is shortly before my birthday. I love running, but have never done anything longer than 10 miles.

DH is adamant I shouldn't do it. He thinks the training will be too much and it is selfish to even consider it (I think he also thinks I'm going to drop dead during the race?)

So, WIBU to enter anyway? I think I would only seriously have to start training after Christmas, so 4 months or so of solid training. From what I can tell (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), its mostly going to impact at the weekend as I will need to do one longer run a week and realistically this is going to have to be at the weekend. The other runs I should be able to fit in during the day around work.

(I haven't got a place btw, but would try and get a charity place if possible.)

StickyProblem Mon 22-Apr-13 19:27:28

Well done! flowers

Loueytb3 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:12:44

Thank you grin

DH was supportive although at times did complain about the long runs at the weekend. He took all 3 DCs into London yesterday to watch - although they missed me in the end. We did meet up afterwards and they were very exited to see the medal. DS1 has SN so he can be really tough to deal with at times - I didn't think DH would take them all in on his own.

Next I want to do a half under 2 hours and I there is a 10k I do every September so I will do that again.

And the ballot for the 2014 London marathon opens next Monday....DH will kill me if I get a place next year, but on the other hand, I probably won't.

The other good thing is that I've dropped a dress size. Long distance running is great for fat burning. Now I need a new wardrobe...

TheVipperofVipp Mon 22-Apr-13 21:46:18

Oh wow! So lovely to see this thread come up again and to see you did it - and in a cracking time too! Loads of congratulations, on training, finishing, running all the way, raising so much money, and dropping a dress size too! Great stuff grin

Sanjifair Mon 22-Apr-13 21:54:15

Many congratulations!!!

raisah Mon 22-Apr-13 21:55:02

try running a half marathon first as its just a bit over your 10 miles maximum. this will challenge you and build up your confidence. Also, your dp can see whats involved and how capable you are to run the full marathon.

StuntGirl Mon 22-Apr-13 21:58:47

Read the thread raisah grin

Congratulations OP, brilliant achievement flowers

raisah Mon 22-Apr-13 22:00:55

silly me didnt read it all the way through! congratulations on completing the marathon, I wish I had the stamina & knees to run.

badguider Mon 22-Apr-13 22:01:21

Yay! good for you. And good for DH for coming round to the idea too.

raisah Mon 22-Apr-13 22:03:02

typing & breastfeeding at the same time isnt easy! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now