Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

DH says DS has to wait for the dinoegg to crack

(39 Posts)
Kingcyrolophosarus Sun 07-Oct-12 12:13:01

why?
We bought him this dinoegg thing. You put it in water and you wait for a day, it cracks as dinosaur expands and then dino gets bigger over a week
DS is desperate to crack it a little bit to see the dino
Why the hell not? It's his toy.
It's causing so much trouble because DS is begging and keeps asking
Dh just getting narked.
Something that should have been a bit of fun has turned into a nightmare

Kingcyrolophosarus Mon 08-Oct-12 12:30:38

Kept the counselling appt, it was really just an assessment, I thought I'd already had that over the phone. But I did babble on a bit, which was helpful
Feeling quite dreadful now
I can't believe this pain in my head

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 08-Oct-12 11:52:40

I hope you're feeling OK and haven't cancelled it - sounds like you need the support. There's clearly a lot more to this than a disagreement over how to handle a toy dinosaur egg...

Kingcyrolophosarus Mon 08-Oct-12 09:15:43

Thanks
Perfectstorm, Relationships will definitely tell me to leave him!
Maybe that's what I need to hear
Woke up with blinding migraine, can't decide whether to cancel the counselling appt

Iodine Sun 07-Oct-12 23:52:59

YANBU I would've cracked that egg by now and I'm and adult!

perfectstorm Sun 07-Oct-12 23:36:43

King, maybe you might want to start a thread on Relationships? Mumsnet can offer amazing support to women in crisis situations, and if you are starting counselling tomorrow that online sounding board might be really handy. And relationships is a very supportive place, with lots of other women who've been there - and got out, and through it.

Really sorry you are dealing with this.

Bigwheel Sun 07-Oct-12 23:22:45

That puts a slightly different light on it. Hope the counselling helps you.

Kingcyrolophosarus Sun 07-Oct-12 23:18:33

A father who slept most of the weekend and denied his son the excitement of cracking open a fucking dinosaur egg
A father who moaned when his son wanted to share his picnic on a fucking log

Kingcyrolophosarus Sun 07-Oct-12 23:15:20

He's had a few of these eggs before, all a bit different, he loves them, but this was slightly different because he couldn't wait to see inside the egg. With the others, the egg disintegrated quickly

Trust me bigwheel, it is not all about me
It's about a little boy whose father doesn't have an ounce of patience, tolerance or understanding about children
A father who is angry and blameful
Selfish, hurtful and at times downright abusive

My counselling tomorrow is my first session at a womens clinic, referred by my GP. As they consider me abused

Bigwheel Sun 07-Oct-12 21:52:59

Sounds like a big chat with your dh is in order, him chatting and you listening as by the sounds of your last post it's just been about you and your opinions and getting him to agree with you. How about trying to understand each other and compromising? Ds should have waited for the egg and I don't blame him for not wanting to eat lunch on a log.

HollaAtMeBaby Sun 07-Oct-12 21:40:49

Why did you buy him the egg in the first place? Waiting for the dino to grow slowly and then hatch is the whole point of those toys and he's clearly too little for it.

Kingcyrolophosarus Sun 07-Oct-12 19:51:40

I can't get through to him about how to be with DS
He is never going to get it

I tried to explain til I'm blue in the face

I have counselling tomorrow, lots to discuss

McHappyPants2012 Sun 07-Oct-12 19:14:14

I think the problem runs deeper, op I think a serious conversation needs to be done to get you and DH back on the same page.

Kingcyrolophosarus Sun 07-Oct-12 18:45:30

Well I cracked the egg and let DS eat on the log

CaliforniaLeaving Sun 07-Oct-12 16:40:31

OMG your Dh is a twat, does he always want to pick arguments with a little kid.
Poke at the eggshell when no one is looking to help it along. I did when Dd's took forever, then I caught her doing the same thing grin

nokidshere Sun 07-Oct-12 15:40:45

ofgs - its a toy - its your sons, leave him to do what he wants to do with it and tell your dh to get a bloody life!

PickledFanjoCat Sun 07-Oct-12 15:23:01

Oh crack it.

perfectstorm Sun 07-Oct-12 15:20:22

the dino thing and I'm on the fence - can see both arguments. The log, though, is just bloody ridiculous and smacks of wanting total control over a young child - your DS is only 4, yes? Honestly that's just arsey, IMO and your DH needs to let go a little. Or perhaps a lot. A log is perfectly okay to sit on. confused

You have to pick your battles with kids, I certainly wouldn't be wasting my breath moaning at a child to sit on a bench instead of a log, on what is supposed to be a fun trip to the park! If I were as petty as your dh I'd be constantly arguing with the dc, we have 4!

Does your DH always get the last word? Presenting a united front is one thing, but constantly deferring to him to do that is not on. It wasn't 'our rules' in the park, it was his. I would have let him sit on the log, and I probably would have let him crack the egg if he'd already been waiting a day.

Man of the house gets the final word bollocks is intensely irritating.

Can't help with park other then your dh being and twit.

As for dinosaur egg once it cracked the dinosaur shrinks, but when put in the bath it grows again.

Repeat weekly for the last 4mths and ds still isn't bored yet.

Kingcyrolophosarus Sun 07-Oct-12 14:17:20

Here's another one
I'm upset now
Went to the park
We were going to buy a sandwich and eat in the park
Dh got up as we were going out and followed us down

Got sandwich and crisps from shop and DS wanted to sit on the log to eat it
Dh said we should go to the bench.
Cue ten minutes of wailing from DS, why can't he sit on the log?
Dh- why can't he stick by our rules?
Because it's an hour in the park, it's DS's playtime, why can't he sit in the log?

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 07-Oct-12 13:03:47

But he followed the rules! OP said you put it in water and wait for a day, and then said that her ds has already waited a day!

I hope ds has cracked it by now. You can always tell DH that it cracked itself while he was upstairs.

OHforDUCKScake Sun 07-Oct-12 13:03:14

We had this, but with Stig in a soap.

I caught DS and DP digging the bloody thing out, it ruined the game! He was supposed to emerge over time!

Im with your DP on this. But to contradict myself, if DS gave me enough earache I'd probably relent for the want of peace.

squeakytoy Sun 07-Oct-12 13:00:35

Simple.. dont buy him anything that he has to wait for then.. you knew the "rules" when you got it him.

It's his toy, let him crack it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now