to expect to be able to find a doctor to see a child, in the uk, closer than 15 miles and less than a 4 hour wait?

(291 Posts)
SheelaNeGig Sat 06-Oct-12 10:35:42

Shes actually not ill as such but does have spreading infected skin rash. (but imagine if she was ill?)

And 15 miles and 4 hours wait away isn't a Doctor but a triage nurse. I think it needs more than a nurse prescriber considering the fucidin isn't working and she can't take anything orally. But not ill enough to endure a 4 hour wait.

The NHS is in trouble isn't it.

BoffinMum Tue 09-Oct-12 12:56:27

Oh yes, and this was a top teaching hospital as well.

BoffinMum Tue 09-Oct-12 12:56:06

Featherbag, I have seen them with my work hat on, but it wasn't well tolerated there either and they got a telling off. That having been said, I think there is always the tendency for things to slip back if the SMT have their eye off the ball. And interestingly, I am aware there was a problem with a particular team of midwives in the nearby maternity hospital basically doing the same thing in their area as well. They were all disciplined in the end, I think.

featherbag Tue 09-Oct-12 12:14:23

I'd be very interested to know where you've seen these things boffin, I'm an A&E nurse and where I work this wouldn't even vaguely be tolerated. We have about half the staff and half the resources we need, because of this care is often less than we'd like to give but hand on heart not one person shirks or doesn't do something because they 'can't be bothered'.

BoffinMum Tue 09-Oct-12 10:12:39

I think it's a bit of a cop-out, this myth that everyone is always being pushy and that patients are seen in a sensible order, and if patients were, well, more patient, it would all be fine and dandy. I think it comes from the British desire to queue incessantly, and ascribe moral attributes to the art of queuing.

It has to be said that many staff members in A and E certainly see the worst of human nature, and I admire them for everything they have to do. But there are certainly also groups within departments who are fairly hopeless at managing demand, unless they are properly supervised, and are happy to sit out of sight of the patients doing as little as possible, if they think nobody is about to pop their clogs and there are unlikely to be repercussions.

I've seen this, just as I have seen them being told off for it as well. I've also seen people (usually the quiet and polite elderly) collapse in the waiting room because members of staff just couldn't be bothered to do their jobs properly.

knackeredmother Mon 08-Oct-12 17:41:05

In support of the op I have been to A and E more than a few times with a
seriously sick child (urosepsis and breathing difficulties with oxygen levels in the 70s ) and waited hours to be seen. Both times my son was admitted for over a week. Both times I begged for him to be looked at earlier and have since discovered the a and e nurse wrote to my GP saying I was anxious and aggressive. I have also had the same a and e refuse to let me take my dd with a temp of 42 outside to cool down but made me wait 2 hours for paracetamol.
Belive it or not some departments are shocking. I also work in the NHS op so perhaps we have greater insight into how things should be?

BoffinMum Sun 07-Oct-12 20:52:09

No, seriously, they had managed to clear it. I know because I had a snoop around (I work there sometimes so know my way around the back). wink

It was like the Marie Celeste.

thegreylady Sun 07-Oct-12 20:38:17

Here in Shropshire Shropdoc is available whenever surgeries are closed. If serious they will visit or they will see you at a local clinic or will give excellent phone advice. It is staffed by a rota of local GP's.

MonthlyChange Sun 07-Oct-12 17:51:39

Can I point out that if you go to A&E and the waiting room is empty and you wait, that the patients who are dead and dying come through a seperate door that you don't see. So the doctors were busy restarting somebodies mother/fathers/child's heart in the resus room. The waiting room is where they keep the not dying people.

crashdoll Sun 07-Oct-12 16:44:58

hazey You seem to be taking this personally. Your son was clearly ill and was treated badly. People do time waste terrible in A&E and OOH and this is what slows down genuine needs.

Incidentally, I don't think children should be made to wait as long as adults.

BoffinMum Sun 07-Oct-12 16:02:19

Once DH broke his wrist and went to A and E at 9am on a Sunday morning. It was completely empty, utterly completely empty, and he still had to wait an hour!

hazeyjane Sun 07-Oct-12 14:47:42

And in our extensive wait at a+e, ds did have breathing problems, but did he need his sats taken, straight away, oh no because he didn't present as child with breathing difficulties!

Sirzy Sun 07-Oct-12 12:26:04

That's bad sad our hospital give pain relief in triage if needed

flow4 Sun 07-Oct-12 12:19:16

Oh absolutely, sirzy smile I hold on to the perhaps naive belief that we were kept waiting so long because someone in greater need was being treated. But the waiting room was full of people with ailments I wouldn't have even taken to a doctor, let alone A&E, and I can't help thinking that if they'd looked after themselves, my son would have had his arm treated sooner. The triage process didn't work for us either, because they didn't give him any pain relief, which was his most urgent need. sad

Sirzy Sun 07-Oct-12 12:09:49

But flow when you compare to some that go in then that won't be life threatening just painful. Waiting isn't good but it also won't be the top priority for the staff when they have established their is no immediate risk to the limb.

I have just been to a and with with DS in and out in 2 hours with the treatment he needed. Others in there waited longer but DS was struggling to breathe therefore couldnt wait

GoSakuramachi Sun 07-Oct-12 11:54:20

Nobody should have to travel 15 miles or wait more than 4 hours to see a doctor? So you want doctors to be all over the UK open 24 hours a day? What bout rural areas, there should be round the clock doctors dotted around the countryside on the offchance someone needs attention at 4am on a sunday on a remote farm?

You are being ridiculous, and unbearably entitled.

flow4 Sun 07-Oct-12 11:36:27

Just another voice saying they had a 4 hour wait with a genuinely sick child - visibly broken arm, bone sticking out - well, 3 hours 55 mins actually. We were triaged promptly, then had to wait... And wait...

teacherwith2kids Sun 07-Oct-12 10:15:14

Until we moved to our current house, my NORMAL GP was 12 miles away - because we lived rurally. Nearest supermarket, ditto. Nearest secondary school, ditto. Nearest dentist, ditto. OOH (and A&E where I took DS the day he sliced his head open) a little further away, in the slightly further away larger town, so about 15 miles away. Hospital where I gave birth a little further still at 16 or so miles [now that WAS an interesting drive through the night].

What might seem totally unreasonable to someone not living so remotely is just part of an everyday norm for others....

Sorry, my point was that the current service doesn't see everyone that needs it - only those that need it and have the facility to get there.

I just don't think that a single ooh facility for nearly half a million people spread over 157 square miles is adequate access to health care. Neither do our local GPs. Our town has 25000 residents a large proportion of whom are elderly non carowning people who are effectively unable to access any form of ooh care short of calling an ambulance.

Snog Sun 07-Oct-12 10:01:45

Just like the fireservice, and even supermarkets fgs, doctors need to arrange their services for 7 days a week, equal cover at weekends as for weekdays.

We could fund this by employing more GPs directly and paying them less, such that instead of a GP practice resulting in an income of £200k for one partner, we employ 4 full time GPs on £50k.

Doctors aren't primarily motivated by earning huge sums, and if they are then perhaps they're not the ones we want to keep as our GPs.

So basically redistribute the budget to employ more GPs and reconfigure the service as a 7 day service. This should go for hospitals too because billions of things go wrong at the w/ends at the moment due to the low staffing levels for doctors compared to weekdays.

Healthcare requirements do not reduce on Saturdays and Sundays and it is ludicrous to build a system that assumes they do.

JeezyOrangePips Sun 07-Oct-12 09:20:09

Out of hours i am likely to have to travel 26 miles to see a doctor. Not always, it depends on which local practice is covering on call. Others would have to travel further.

I don't think 15 miles is a major issue, personally. Some people don't havd a doctor on their island in the island group I live in, and depending on weather might not be able to see a doctor for days.

Sirzy Sun 07-Oct-12 09:05:03

But there obviously isn't the call for it or you would never be able to see anyone at the weekends which isn't the case. They need to balance the system to ensure that it is providing best value for money whilst still seeing everyone who needs to be seen which the vast majority of the time it does.

If you had things more local then we would be paying GPs to sit around waiting until someone needed to be seen - that just doesn't make sense.

crashdoll Sun 07-Oct-12 08:58:56

The accessibility is due to finances though. I don't disagree with you that they should be open but there just is not the money.

I agree with you to some extent re the wait, and I don't necessarily think a modest wait is unreasonable. It's more the accessibility I have a problem with.

I understand what youu're saying, but there are 2 large practices a mile from us and surely if our town is big enough to require nearly 20 GPs then it is big enough to require weekend cover locally. The current system restricts access to weekend healthcare to non drivers and people on low incomes. That can't be right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now