to wish that the pelvic toner advert would vanish....now!

(139 Posts)
Hanikam Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:48

I like to read mumsnet during quiet moments at work.
That stupid advert for the pelvic toner pops up at awkward moments.
Who says "50% of mothers have weak bladders / pelvic intolerance?"
As compared to who? non-mothers, population as a whole (including men, who might have trouble inserting the damned thing.....rectal toner maybe?)

Don't want people to look at me like I'm someone who regularly wets her knickers.
so, aibu?

thebody Thu 20-Dec-12 08:33:45

Well after 4 kids I do need a wee before getting on a trampoline.

I also couldn't give a rats ass about my pelvic floor.

I am not pissing myself in a regular basis so that's fine by me.

Rather have my 4 kids healthy and happy as opposed to a tight neat fandango.

Life is too short to clench and anyway we all going to die on the 21st according to some posters!!!!

GotMyGoat Thu 20-Dec-12 08:23:20

Oh help! Help! I try to do my exercises on the train to work everyday, bum muscles i can do, but i really struggle to get a contraction for the other two, feels like i'm not achieving anything. I don't wee myself (yet) but last time i used a tampon it fell down, and turned upside down inside me, despite it being a super plus size blush sex is always boring unless i turn around so am aware i'm not the mightighty i was pre-baby. Said baby is nearly 18 months...

What would be best for me? Thanks!

gussiegrips Tue 16-Oct-12 00:54:18

toothbrush buttock muscles are all about the Kim Kardashian or J Lo. Yep, the movement is small - imagine a "lift" off the gusset of your knickers.

Remember, these are muscles sitting like a trampoline taut inside your pelvis. There's not a whole lot to see, that's kind of why it "makes sense" to your brain to go about clenching buttocks, splinting tummies and holding breaths. Nope. Imagine you are bursting for a pee, or trying not to do a fart. That's the feeling. Anything else is showbiz.

And, yes. have a chat with your surgeon about pelvic floors post hysterectomy. During would land up on youtube. Try not to...

Beyond Yep, pelvic organ prolapse is associated with core muscle weakness and all that sort of thing. It runs in families - if your great granny's fanny fell out then you have an increased risk. It's to do with the quality of the ligaments supporting the pelvic organs from above - think of them as spider's webs glued onto the gubbings round your ribs-ish. If your pelvic ligaments are naturally a bit stretchy, or if you have oor core support then it increases your risk. Doesn't mean it's inevitable. But, tell your sister to doherblardyexercisestoo x

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Mon 15-Oct-12 21:07:18

Oh, I was wondering and meant to ask my GP, but I wonder if you know Gussy...
I had an inguinal hernia as a child which was fixed when I was about 4. After the birth of DS1 (quick labour and ventouse), I was diagnosed with a rectocele (by the time I was diagnosed I was pregnant again, hence waiting til now to get on that waiting list!). Do you think the two are related? Should I warn my sister, who also had an inguinal hernia? grin

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Mon 15-Oct-12 21:03:21

I've just been put on the waiting list to see a consultant at the hospital re my rectocele to get it fixed. I am 26. So see the GP if you have any problems!!

ToothbrushThief Mon 15-Oct-12 20:19:37

I don't feel like I have any issues (3DC, one horrendous delivery) but equally am sure age and childbirth have reduced tone. So I domyblardyexercises... I notice that I often do buttock clenching at the same time. If I only do vaginal lifts I get a smaller lift. Is this normal, wrong etc

Anticipating a possibly hysterectomy soon... am guessing exercises as useful before during and after (well perhaps not during..)

gussiegrips Mon 15-Oct-12 17:48:50

Nope,

this

your one's an electrical stimulator. Will also do the trick, but you've got to watch incase you've got a prolapse or some other problems as plugging yourself in and zapping your bits might not be helpful in all cases.

There's a discount code on MN - and, actually, if you put gussetgrippers in as a code he'll give you £5 off too. Yeah!

Have look at the links. And, doyerblardyexercises. With a gadget, on the bus, at work, in a queue...just do them!

KellyElly Mon 15-Oct-12 16:22:38
KellyElly Mon 15-Oct-12 16:20:18

It's just lying normally in the bath, although I do put my legs up on the side to shave but not hanging over. Had DD nearly three years ago. Don't have many baths but seems to happen every time I do now. I don't do any exercises as everything feels fairly tight with sex etc but obviously not sad I shall check out the links. Thanks. Out of interest do the pelvic toners work. Quite like the idea of just doing that each night rather than sitting at work and on the bus clenching grin.

gussiegrips Mon 15-Oct-12 16:13:25

Depends on what you are doing in the bath...if you're lying with your leg over the side shaving your legs, I woudn't worry about it.

If not, then, yep, water shouldn't be able to seep into your vagina unless you do something active to get it in there, or you are surfing in the sea and get wooshed by a big wave (no joke, there have been some serious injuries. Wear a wet suit, women!) Don't worry, it's not uncommon - so there's no need to be embarrassed. 1:3 of your friends will have similar ishoos.

How long is it since you gave birth? Doingyerblardyexercises will only help, have a look at the links upthread and feel free to PM etc. x

KellyElly Mon 15-Oct-12 16:07:14

Haven't read the whole thread but I have something to ask those 'in the know' about these things - been too embarrassed to ask friends in RL. I never wee myself but I have an issue now (post childbirth) that when I have a bath about 20 mins afterwards water comes out. Does this mean I have weak pelvic muscles?

gussiegrips Mon 15-Oct-12 15:37:05

Good girl. Have a shiney.

Been reading up about beavers. Who's powerful muscles demolish wood. Am so amused, it's actaully pathetic.

TanteRose Mon 15-Oct-12 13:37:38

Bump

<10,10,3> <clenchhhhhh>

gussiegrips Sat 13-Oct-12 22:52:57

It pops up on the right hand side every now and then. Pops up rather a lot on mine, but then, I do go on and on about it on MN...

www.pelvictoner.co.uk (not an employee or anything. I do think the pelvic toner will help lots of women - they've got some great research backing them up. But, you've got to remember that just buying a gadget won't fix your problem. You've got to actually use it, and do yerblardyexercises. It's a muscle trainer, not a magic wand)

which is a shame <imagines waving a wand and intently saying tightenupus to MNrs all over the world>

SoleSource Sat 13-Oct-12 22:14:38

I have not seen this advert yet. Where is it?

flow4 Sat 13-Oct-12 21:13:40

Yes indeedy! grin
Laughter itself is apparently very good for the pelvic floor grin

gussiegrips Sat 13-Oct-12 17:32:16

Well, flow...

...you know these vibration plate thingies in gyms? THere's some evidence they enhance strengthening. And, there's some new papers published showing the enhanced strenghtening effect was present in elderly people who did their balance exercises on a vibrating plate...

...so, if there's tenuous evidence suggesting that vibration plates strengthen all muscles in all age groups...is it such a leap to assume that a bit of vibration would help the pelvic floor?

Wouldn't much fancy getting a proposal for an MSc through the ethics committee on that...but, frankly, if it improves compliance with doingtheblardyexercises and gets women laughing and talking about their pelivc floors and mibbe motivates them to get on with doing something about their leakage - who cares how we do that?

flow4 Sat 13-Oct-12 11:03:35

It amuses me tbh... I've got a bit of a dirty mind, and I can't help thinking it's a great 'respectable excuse' for a vibrator grin

gussiegrips Sat 13-Oct-12 10:38:26

Hi smornitime!

I'm a bit reluctant to bump for fear of seeming obsessive.

Which, I am. Compeletly. Am busy rounding up prizes for a fundraiser I'm doing in November for Leukaemia Research - it's actually a thinly veiled attmept at market research to see whether it's worth pouring some money into gusset grippers...anyhoo, am delightedly putting together a hamper for a silent auction - "a box for yer box" I've got a shewee, a mooncup, a pelvic toner, an incostress, a remarkable pair of knickers with a wee silicone nobble in the gusset which can't be awfully comfy but apparently is quite naice, and am away to Ann Summers to beg some goodies from there. A box for your box. It amuses me.

10, 10, 3.

smornintime Sat 13-Oct-12 04:08:42

Bump!?
I'm still trying over here - how is everyone else doing?

ICBINEG Thu 11-Oct-12 13:08:27

thanks for the feedback!

It is interesting you mention grunting...I have noticed a marked increase in escapes in that direction as well as the other....

I wonder if what has really happened here is that baby wrangling has somehow massively increased my abdominal tone (well it was zero before so a big increase isn't particularly unlikely) and now both my lungs and bladder are in a substantially more competitive environment....

also a good point about cystitis. I had kinda assumed the cystitis was being caused by the endless leakage and now it seems obvious it could be the other way around.

Okay I will have another burst on the old exercises and see if I can eliminate the bottom leakage....although maybe that will make the grunting even worse grin

gussiegrips Thu 11-Oct-12 12:41:06

Oooh, I love that ICBINEG - I feel like the Miss Marple of Minge!

The sneezing and big shot raquet sport ishoo is because of the sudden, sharp and significant rise of your intra-abdominal pressure those activities cause. If that pressure exceeds the force your pelvic floor can generate to keep the support on the neck of your bladder, you leak. So, you are right, you've got decent strength in your pelvic floor - but it isn't strong enough to sustain repeated pressure from half a dozen sneezes or a Venus style grunt and lunge.

Continence problems amongst atheletes are surprisingly common. My background's in sports physio, and it's eyebrow raising. All to do with repeated stresses, if you are a gymnast with lots of intra-abdominal pressure, or a runner with lots of repeated thumping - then, in time, it gives.

Doing the exercises shouldn't make it worse. Doing too many, without resting in between or whilst holding your breath can give you pain, but not worse continence.

I wonder whether it could have been linked to your menstrual cycle? The rise and fall of hormones, well, oestrogen, has an effect on our tissues. It's really common for women to be fairly ok for three weeks of the month, and plagued by pee for one.

And, yep, an infection will worsen things. As will pregnancy, being constipated, doing some yoga and pilates moves, bungee jumping, hayfever, smoking, the flu, running, shouting, blowing up balloons, lifting heavy things, vomiting, and cystitis.

So, I think your problem is likely to be that your muscles are strong enough for ordinary, daily activities - but they aren't quite strong enough for the extra challenges your sport presents.

You could try a bit of resistance work - the pelvic toner would do that. As would a ben wa ball - might be tricky to make your shot though if you are distracted by "jiggling"...

ICBINEG Thu 11-Oct-12 10:27:32

gussie okay so I can do the exercises no problem...I can feel the contractions, get the drop after 10 secs, do the flicks, do the lift up and down thing...but when I play racket sports I just leak like every time I go for a big shot. As soon as I am putting in max effort I wee.

Also with repetitive sneezing...not the first sneeze but when somethings totally up your nose and you get 5 or 6 in a row.

I hadn't really done a lot of blardyexercises till I started to get with the sports more seriously and discovered the problem. I then went in for some intensive fanjo-fu and things got way worse. I have packed it up and they are better again now. It is obviously totally possible that the two things are unrelated, or I had a random coincidental infection or something...

but yeah...if you can do all the exercises easily then does it imply the problem is elsewhere?

smornintime Wed 10-Oct-12 22:41:26

grin fanjo-fu!

eurowitch Wed 10-Oct-12 17:56:15

Thanks gussie. I don't think I need a referral. I've never had a sneeze/cough/trampolining incident. I can stop my wee, etc. In fact, until I heard about the other two exercises I would have said I have a pelvic floor of steel!* The muscles are very, very firm on the quick flicks. And, ahem, after dtd, the "products" stay put until I actually think about it and relax the muscles - there's no leakage. I will just keep trying with the other "new" exercises.

*I'm sure that will change if I ever manage to get pregnant!

<squeeeeeeeeeze>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now