to wish that the pelvic toner advert would vanish....now!

(139 Posts)
Hanikam Fri 05-Oct-12 20:57:48

I like to read mumsnet during quiet moments at work.
That stupid advert for the pelvic toner pops up at awkward moments.
Who says "50% of mothers have weak bladders / pelvic intolerance?"
As compared to who? non-mothers, population as a whole (including men, who might have trouble inserting the damned thing.....rectal toner maybe?)

Don't want people to look at me like I'm someone who regularly wets her knickers.
so, aibu?

gussiegrips Sat 13-Oct-12 22:52:57

It pops up on the right hand side every now and then. Pops up rather a lot on mine, but then, I do go on and on about it on MN...

www.pelvictoner.co.uk (not an employee or anything. I do think the pelvic toner will help lots of women - they've got some great research backing them up. But, you've got to remember that just buying a gadget won't fix your problem. You've got to actually use it, and do yerblardyexercises. It's a muscle trainer, not a magic wand)

which is a shame <imagines waving a wand and intently saying tightenupus to MNrs all over the world>

TanteRose Mon 15-Oct-12 13:37:38

Bump

<10,10,3> <clenchhhhhh>

gussiegrips Mon 15-Oct-12 15:37:05

Good girl. Have a shiney.

Been reading up about beavers. Who's powerful muscles demolish wood. Am so amused, it's actaully pathetic.

KellyElly Mon 15-Oct-12 16:07:14

Haven't read the whole thread but I have something to ask those 'in the know' about these things - been too embarrassed to ask friends in RL. I never wee myself but I have an issue now (post childbirth) that when I have a bath about 20 mins afterwards water comes out. Does this mean I have weak pelvic muscles?

gussiegrips Mon 15-Oct-12 16:13:25

Depends on what you are doing in the bath...if you're lying with your leg over the side shaving your legs, I woudn't worry about it.

If not, then, yep, water shouldn't be able to seep into your vagina unless you do something active to get it in there, or you are surfing in the sea and get wooshed by a big wave (no joke, there have been some serious injuries. Wear a wet suit, women!) Don't worry, it's not uncommon - so there's no need to be embarrassed. 1:3 of your friends will have similar ishoos.

How long is it since you gave birth? Doingyerblardyexercises will only help, have a look at the links upthread and feel free to PM etc. x

KellyElly Mon 15-Oct-12 16:20:18

It's just lying normally in the bath, although I do put my legs up on the side to shave but not hanging over. Had DD nearly three years ago. Don't have many baths but seems to happen every time I do now. I don't do any exercises as everything feels fairly tight with sex etc but obviously not sad I shall check out the links. Thanks. Out of interest do the pelvic toners work. Quite like the idea of just doing that each night rather than sitting at work and on the bus clenching grin.

KellyElly Mon 15-Oct-12 16:22:38
gussiegrips Mon 15-Oct-12 17:48:50

Nope,

this

your one's an electrical stimulator. Will also do the trick, but you've got to watch incase you've got a prolapse or some other problems as plugging yourself in and zapping your bits might not be helpful in all cases.

There's a discount code on MN - and, actually, if you put gussetgrippers in as a code he'll give you £5 off too. Yeah!

Have look at the links. And, doyerblardyexercises. With a gadget, on the bus, at work, in a queue...just do them!

ToothbrushThief Mon 15-Oct-12 20:19:37

I don't feel like I have any issues (3DC, one horrendous delivery) but equally am sure age and childbirth have reduced tone. So I domyblardyexercises... I notice that I often do buttock clenching at the same time. If I only do vaginal lifts I get a smaller lift. Is this normal, wrong etc

Anticipating a possibly hysterectomy soon... am guessing exercises as useful before during and after (well perhaps not during..)

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Mon 15-Oct-12 21:03:21

I've just been put on the waiting list to see a consultant at the hospital re my rectocele to get it fixed. I am 26. So see the GP if you have any problems!!

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Mon 15-Oct-12 21:07:18

Oh, I was wondering and meant to ask my GP, but I wonder if you know Gussy...
I had an inguinal hernia as a child which was fixed when I was about 4. After the birth of DS1 (quick labour and ventouse), I was diagnosed with a rectocele (by the time I was diagnosed I was pregnant again, hence waiting til now to get on that waiting list!). Do you think the two are related? Should I warn my sister, who also had an inguinal hernia? grin

gussiegrips Tue 16-Oct-12 00:54:18

toothbrush buttock muscles are all about the Kim Kardashian or J Lo. Yep, the movement is small - imagine a "lift" off the gusset of your knickers.

Remember, these are muscles sitting like a trampoline taut inside your pelvis. There's not a whole lot to see, that's kind of why it "makes sense" to your brain to go about clenching buttocks, splinting tummies and holding breaths. Nope. Imagine you are bursting for a pee, or trying not to do a fart. That's the feeling. Anything else is showbiz.

And, yes. have a chat with your surgeon about pelvic floors post hysterectomy. During would land up on youtube. Try not to...

Beyond Yep, pelvic organ prolapse is associated with core muscle weakness and all that sort of thing. It runs in families - if your great granny's fanny fell out then you have an increased risk. It's to do with the quality of the ligaments supporting the pelvic organs from above - think of them as spider's webs glued onto the gubbings round your ribs-ish. If your pelvic ligaments are naturally a bit stretchy, or if you have oor core support then it increases your risk. Doesn't mean it's inevitable. But, tell your sister to doherblardyexercisestoo x

GotMyGoat Thu 20-Dec-12 08:23:20

Oh help! Help! I try to do my exercises on the train to work everyday, bum muscles i can do, but i really struggle to get a contraction for the other two, feels like i'm not achieving anything. I don't wee myself (yet) but last time i used a tampon it fell down, and turned upside down inside me, despite it being a super plus size blush sex is always boring unless i turn around so am aware i'm not the mightighty i was pre-baby. Said baby is nearly 18 months...

What would be best for me? Thanks!

thebody Thu 20-Dec-12 08:33:45

Well after 4 kids I do need a wee before getting on a trampoline.

I also couldn't give a rats ass about my pelvic floor.

I am not pissing myself in a regular basis so that's fine by me.

Rather have my 4 kids healthy and happy as opposed to a tight neat fandango.

Life is too short to clench and anyway we all going to die on the 21st according to some posters!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now